Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

best thing = graduation thing i'd change = go to another school just the right size how do people react when you tell them you go to rit = do you mean mit? is that a 2 year school? most of the time spent on campus = gym biggest controversy on campus = deaf kids act like bitches no school pride unusual about rit = people dress up and play real life dungeons and dragons and go larping

RIT is an awesome environment. It is gaining prestige around the world as an innovation institution.Even though there isn't much school pride, the crowd usually packs the hockey games. I would say that RIT is a very unique institution where you can see a fusion of sciences and arts like nowhere else. The only thing I would like to have is a Football Team and warmer weather.

Great academics and reputation with a very high employment rate. I do not see a lot of school pride. There's way too much construction going on, I was never able to enjoy the campus, because there was always something being built or changed. I spent a lot of time on other campuses because most people I met were not social like myself and kept to themselves.

I like RIT. I think it is a good size and i love the people here and the hockey program. I think you get what you put into it. I wish there were more girls here. People always say this is a good school and that you have to be really smart to go here so i don't mind tell people i do.

MUD TUG! Tug o' War in a pit of mud. Only $10 to register with all the money going to cancer research. Makes teams with your friends, with your floormates, or new kids!

If you're looking to get a grade-A education in any technical field, then RIT is definitely the college for you!

The school is really great for academics. Social life on the other hand is lacking. They do try though.

It's a good school. Its hard to maintain good grades but it is not impossible

The best thing about RIT is all the co-op and internship possibilities available on campus and it's really resume building. I would change the food choices available for students to eat, especially since first years are forced to stay in the dorms and eat at the dining facilities on campus with the forced meal plan that students that live in the dorm have to eat at. RIT I believe is just right, it's definitely not too small but it is big enough where it could take 20 minutes to get to class from the dorms (and that's only to the farthest building on campus). When I tell people that I go to RIT they assume that I'm very intelligent and tell me that I'm going to a good school. I spend most of my time on campus in the dorms but not necessarily in my room. I'm either in the lounge with friends, in my friends room, at the computer lab at a neighboring dorm, or Ritche's that in the tunnels (links all the dorms and two dining facilities together), and things like that. Our "college town" isn't really a college town because Rochester is a really big city and RIT is located in the suburbs so there's RIT, then a few shopping centers, restaurants, a movie theater, mall, and things like that 5 minutes from campus. But they are building this new "college town" right by the RIT campus where there's going to be a coffee shop, and other things for students to do near the new park point apartments. To be real honest I don't really deal with RIT's administration or really sure of what they do except for their stupid parking rules and parking tickets I get from campus safety. Recent controversy on campus would have to be the dorm fire on the 2nd floor of my dorm. I was on the 4th floor, I heard the fire alarm 1am and didn't think anything of it until I saw and smelt the smoke in the stairwells. Turned out to be an electrical fire, the bed caught on fire because of a speaker or a lamb. The biggest I think next to the recent fire would HUGE hockey brawl the weekend before last (which I can't believed that I missed) everyone on both teams just about were fighting including the goalies (videos on youtube and facebook). There isn't any school pride except for the hockey games, maybe if students knew more about the games on campus and actually leave their rooms or the teams were actually good (in some cases) more people would come. But at the same time you do see a lot of students on campus wearing RIT apparel...so maybe not at the athletic events but we wear the clothing. The only unusual thing about RIT is the fact that it's a "brick city", all the buildings are brick except some of the newest ones I believe. The campus is maybe 30 years old so but I think the brick is cool, and be honest I'm more focused on getting to class on time from the dorms rather than seeing if the bricks are nice. You do get used to the bricks after a while. One experience I'll remember I guess is the fact that this campus is about 70% male and 30% female and I really like not being around that many girls everyday when I'm walking to class (me being a girl and all). The some of the most frequent complaints from students is that there's nothing to do on campus, RIT is boring, there aren't a lot of girls on campus, there's a lack of school spirit, I hate RIT, I hate FYE, and things like that. I do believe however that your experience at RIT is what you make it.

Best thing: diversity of people, for the most part. Things I'd change: male to female ratio (obvious answer); the brick architecture; the wind-tunnel campus design. The school is just right in terms of size. A lot of people recognize it as a good college when I tell them I go to RIT. Others, however, give me the ol' "Where's that?" Most the time it's that they don't recognize the acronym "RIT".. at the very least they know where Rochester is. I actually spend most my time in the 3D animation labs, where I work on both 3D and 2D animation homework. That sounds dull, but it's turned out into more of a hang out, where all my friends and peers do their work. It's lax enough that we can make our own fun, projecting movies on the wall or playing dodgeball/baseball/frisbee in the hallway. Otherwise, I spend a lot of time at the gym, which is pretty sweet. What college town? I've been hearing about this for almost 5 years now. Get your act together! The administration is on/off out of touch with students. With our new president Dr. Dessler, there seems to be some improvement. My school's faculty is also on/off in touch with the students and the modern world. There are enough good professors that they make the school bearable. Biggest controversy? I don't think there's been one this year yet. There is at least one average per year. Many years ago we had riot police come in to break up a non-riot (huge misunderstanding there). Following the VA shootings, a student had a case of wrong-place-wrong-time when he was caught cleaning his rifle. Oh! now there having some smoking issues, thinking that they should stop providing cigarettes at the student alumni building. Pride? Not really, no. People will wear sweatshirts and the colors, but there aren't any rivalries with other schools, or the apparent need to shout proudly: "I come from RIT! Woooo!" We do have good turnouts for hockey games, though... but that's about it. Must be a northern thing. Unusual about RIT? Oh, definitely... but you get used to them - the people, the activities, the culture. So used to them, in fact, I can't think of anything really to use as an example. They've been in bedded into my sense of normalcy. Pschh, experience? Several, but they're mostly stupid, silly things I've done with my friends. Not like: "I remember one time the administration at RIT put together this really fun event", etc. I think this is the case with any college, however - you're going to remember your friends most of all, and the antics you mustered. Complaints: not enough girls (then the girls say: "not enough quality guys", and the guys agree to increase their chances with those girls). In all fairness, there are a lot of creepy guys, and they do ruin it for the rest of us normal guys. Other complaints: too windy, fun police get in the way all too often (our game of capture the flag was broken up!), bad parking situations, the sentinel is ugly as crap (a lot of the artwork is unnecessarily "arty"), and the number of bricks keeps growing.