Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

The best thing about RIT is its facilities, between the gym and from personal experience as a former photography major - RIT has it all! One thing I would change about RIT is the parking. I feel that there should be less reserved parking, and that parking passes should not cost as much as it does. I feel that the school is neither too big nor too small, it's just right like "baby bear." I feel that there are plenty of people and types of personalities where you can never get bored and you have the ability to make a new friend every day. When I tell people that I go to RIT their immediate reaction is either, "Good school," or "You must be pretty smart," which helps boost the confidence. I spend most of my time on campus pretty evenly between the library, the liberal arts building, the Student Alumni Union, and the RITZone (an eatery under the SAU). We are in the process of building a college town. I'm torn on the issue of RIT's administration - the issue of money is always brought up with any and every RIT student. I can't remember the biggest and most recent controversy, but last year we had a student that ended up in the news because he had a weapon in his room at the RIT Inn, and it was directly after the Virginia Tech shooting. School pride is evident on campus when there are sporting events or competitions, such as the Ranger Challenges that the Army ROTC cadets participate in every year. I don't feel that there is anything especially unusual about RIT, but I believe its diversity is something that other schools don't have when I compare colleges with my friends and family members. My number one, favorite experience I will ALWAYS remember is meeting my fiance. He and I were both considering other colleges, and RIT won us both over for other reasons, but we were both the cherries on top of our decisions! The most frequent complaints are tuition prices, the lack of non-reserved parking spaces, and the two-week break at Thanksgiving, instead of adding that second week onto Christmas break.

The best thing about RIT?...I really like the quarter system here. Not many schools offer this type of academic schedule, and I think it helps classes go by quicker. It gives you a chance to take advantage of the courses here to better your education. In addition, if you don't like the class you are in, there is only ten weeks of that class...which is not as bad as struggling through half a year through a course. One thing I might change, work on recruiting more females....and the architecture! The buildings are 'boring' in a sense...too plain; and the structures on campus...are well for lack of a better word, ugly. If you are going to spend a lot of money on a statue, one would hope that it would be pleasing to the eye, and not what looks like a compilation of metals. I spend most of my time on campus either in the library or the gym. I am from Delaware, and when people ask me where I go...when I am at home, I say RIT, and the response is either, oh? Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute? or they know it's Rochester Institute of Technology, and say, "oh! Great school!...that's a tough school to get into!" (I personally like the second response.) There is some school pride...definitely a lot more in athletics and hockey games. But it would be nice if there were more school pride. The most frequent school complaints?....weather and academics. The weather is usually rainy, snowy, or cold. But personally i don't mind the rain at all. I just don't like the cold. Some complain about the academics. But I think RIT does a fantastic job at preparing individuals to enter the working world. I am happy I chose to attend this university. Sure there are stereotypes and sure there are things about RIT that are not the best...but college is what you make of it. If you take hold of the opportunities available to you, especially at RIT, you have an even better chance at success in life.

I grew up on Long Island and liked the suburban atmosphere. When I arrived at RIT that was my first time being in Rochester. I was surprised how similar it was to the suburban atmosphere on Long Island. Many of the same chain restaurants and stores I was familiar with were only a short 5 minute drive away. RIT is for me in the ideal location. A short drive from malls and shopping centers, yet also right near farms and suburban communities. The best thing about RIT is that they actually listen to there students. If you have a problem with a teacher or policy and can get your class behind you, you can get that problem solved within a semester or less. If you have a good idea, you can get it implemented very quickly. The worst thing about RIT would have to be the weather. It gets very cold and windy. It can be sunny and 60 one day and freezing the next. You will get annoyed by the amount of jokes people in Rochester love to make about the random weather patterns. There is a decent amount of school pride. RIT has a division 1 hockey team but lacks any other serious sports team. The school would have much more pride if we had a more serious athletic program. This is also the main thing I would change about RIT. Invest in a football team! I am a 3rd year mechanical engineer and the staff at RIT is excellent. RIT never has any TA's teach a course (they have TA's to assist) . Real professors teach all undergrad courses. Many of these professors have spent years in the field and have first hand experience dealing with the topics covered. RIT has pretty good parties. Much better than reputation would give them. There aren't a whole bunch of gigantic crowd the streets parties (5 or so a year). But there are parties every weekend if you know where to go.

The best thing about RIT is the student body. I don't think I've run across too many closed-minded people in my stay here, and you can talk to just about anyone because you will share some common interest. The diversity is also great after coming from a really small town. If I could change one thing, it would be the weather, but I would rather have it too cold than too hot. The size of the campus and student body is about right. It's hard to walk to class without seeing someone I know. I haven't had the opportunity to ask anyone to come to RIT yet. Most of my time on campus is spent either in a coffee shop with friends or hanging out with people in the dorms. I also spend a lot of time off campus at the mall. Speaking of the mall, the college town right outside of RIT has a lot of places to go, and there's also Rochester itself, which from what I've seen is a pretty cool city with a few noteworthy spots. Biggest controversy on campus is, well nobody has time now to gossip because the few weeks leading up to the end of the quarter are REALLY stressful. There is a lot of school pride, but not in the traditional sense. People here aren't too thrilled with sports, although the occasional hockey game gets the blood rising. RIT school spirit is more about being original, because a lot of people here have been told throughout high school that they didn't fit in. At RIT, everyone fits in because everyone is diferent. There are so many interesting, unique people on campus, and I think that originality is what RIT is all about. The most frequest student complaints are usually about the cold, or the food at Gracies, the freshman dining hall. The fact is that they choose what they eat there, and if it looks sketchy or tastes wierd, then it's their fault that they ate it.

The best thing about RIT is that everyone is friendly and warm. Its the nicest group of people I've ever been around, as well as the most helpful. I would like to change the student outlook on the school. For many people, its the place that everyone loves to hate. and the more you hate it, the more other people hate it. And when everyone talks negatively about RIT, its not going to help anyone. The people with school pride are fierce. They have extreme loyalty. Though, these people are few in number. It really goes back to how people react and feel about RIT in general. The school is rather huge, but everyone finds their niche in their department or a club. A big school doesn't always equal a little fish in a big pond scenario. When I tell people I go to RIT, I often get a blank look. Honestly, though, educated individuals who are doctors, lawyers and engineers know RIT, but average people don't. And when they do know, I'm usually asked if I'm an engineer. The art program is phenomenal, but few people know it exists. College town is being build right now. People stay on campus a lot, because there is always something to do. The administration is undergoing a process of change due to a new president. I haven't had much contact with them. The old president, and the new president have a forum online where students can ask questions, and both times I've asked, I've gotten a response from the president himself. Its a great way he makes himself available to us. People say the campus is ugly, but i think its beautiful, honestly. There's never any trash or garbage, but at the same time, you never see maintenance cleaning it up. I swear there are invisible elves.

When I tell people that I go to RIT most of the time they say good for you because they think that RIT is a really hard school to get into. Other people ask me if I'm a nerd and really like technology. I personally think that I would prefer to be at a school that is a little smaller. Sometimes, especially when I was new here, I felt overwhelmed by the size of the school and didn't feel as connected as a result. I probably spend most of my time in building 7 where most of my classes are, Java Wally's, the SG office and SAU, and my dorm. I think there are a lot of issues with the administration of specific programs. There are a lot of times when I hear people complaining about the Business School, The Physics department, and the Interior Design Program. Personally, I haven't had too many issues with the administration, but I think that it completely depends on what program you are in and this colors your experience with the administration. I honestly wouldn't say there is a lot of school pride. Even coming from the people that are really involved, I have heard a lot of people say how this is "shit-hole" and how they just want to get out of here. However, the majority of people that I have heard say this are freshmen. Personally, being a transfer student and coming from a school with a completely different environment, I think the Freshmen say this because they have nothing else to compare their experience to. I think the most unique thing here is the deaf school. A lot of times I'll tell my friends how many deaf students are here and what a big part of life it is here and they are surprised. I think it makes the school have more diversity and interest.

The best thing about RIT is the assumption that you must be smart if you go here. One thing I'd change is that abundance of unsocial people. Campus events are rather boring. I'd expect the hockey games to be good, but I just haven't gone. We have talents shows and band gigs. Some people are really talented, but its a popularity contest mostly with the kid who brings his frat buddies to cheer, wins. I spend most of my time at my apartment or a friend's apartment if I'm on campus. We prefer to leave campus because parties are sausage heavy and very crowded. The best I've been to, we've thrown ourselves and had an invite list. Although if it is the school you decide on for academics, I'd suggest that you and friends try to network with people at neighboring schools. Nazareth is pretty heavy on the female population (just don't flirt with my girlfriend. Thats where I found her.) MCC should be good for parties as well, and maybe Fisher. RIT really isn't a college town. Campus is large, but they have seperated most the living areas. Each has parties, but its a pain walking between them because they circle campus. There is very school pride. The gap is so large. Most of us don't give two shits about the school, then you have you expected "spiRIT" kid that basically every school has. The teacher's pet from high school. There is nothing too unusual. Its rather boring here. Some of my fondest memories are with the rugby team (RIP for now) and in Canada. The school is only around a 1.5hr drive from Clifton Hill, which I'd recommend to visit with friends. You also have access to Buffalo Bills games easily at only an hour drive. GO BILLS!

about the stereotypes: Even though RIT has its share of nerdy population, this usually stays within the CS majors. Engineers tend to vary; ME's are usually tool-friendly guys. They like dealing with physical stuff and also like anything related to an automobile and such. EE's, CE's and MicroE's like anything realted to electricity and electric signals. Even though there are some discrepancies (CE's like digital signals etc...) for the most part the population from these majors tend to have strong math skills and spend hours and hours working on projects and studying. (not that other engineering majors don't require this). IE's... well I really can't understand how anyone would want to be an IE so I'm not the one to talk about it. There are other engineering majors SE's and so on but they're not related to the other ones (SE for instance is more CS-like). Engineers are not as bad with girls as other IT people. And yes, for the most part girls are scarce and not as good looking as they are in other universities. One can usually tell if a girl on-campus doesn't go to RIT. Also girls tend to develope the virus known as the RIBS (Ratio-induced-bitch-syndrome). It's generally described as not being as friendly towards the other gender as they used to be back before they went to RIT. The cause of this is that there are such few girls that guys will literally go for anyone. So they become all fond of themselves because all their guy friends are abnormally friendly towards them. So if you're a girl and want to over-develope your self-esteem and be highly valued, welcome to RIT!

It takes a special type of student to like RIT. The academics are the best part of the school. Classes are smaller than ones at similarly sized institutions are there are relatively few giant lecture hall classes. The largest class I had was a bout 80 students (half of whom didn’t bother to show up). RIT does not feel like a 15,000 student school. The campus is pretty dead and you hardly see people out and about on campus except during changing time. RIT is not really well integrated to the Rochester community. It is not in the city proper but in a suburb (Henrietta) near some strip malls. The closest thing to a college town is a few shops by the new park point development. School pride is virtually non existent. After about 2 weeks into fall quarter, you never hear people say that they love RIT. Many students regret coming here and not to a "normal school", and end up transferring out. RIT is home to the National Technological Institute for the Deaf (NTID) so you may encounter deaf folks and interpreters in you classes. You may also be assigned to live in a dorm where most of the students are deaf you first year. Students complain about pretty much everything here at RIT; Gracie’s (freshman and masochist cafeteria), the weather (it’s not the snow that gets you, it’s the wind), quarters, inconsiderate deaf people (if you live on a “mainstreamed floor”), inconsiderate people in general, the lack of school spirit and how much people complain about RIT.

Best thing about RIT is the education. In my major, computer engineering, I'm getting one of the best undergraduate degrees that I could get. One thing I'd change is the school spirit at RIT. It's awful. Bring back a football team, as many people, not just sports freaks, will follow football. I think the school size is perfect. If it's from back home in PA, most people don't know much about it except it's academic record in the technical field. On campus, I spend most of my time in class or in the library. (Not considering my apartment as an answer to the question, even though it's on campus. If that was the intent, then I spend the most time in the apartments on campus.) Not a college town. It's a city, but not based around colleges. I think the new administration at RIT, aka the new president, will be good for RIT. Historically, I don't think that the administration has done enough to promote changes the students want to see. Biggest controversy was probably over what new president to hire? I don't really know of many "controversies". No. Very little school pride. Unusual about RIT is the lack of a football team. Ridiculous. An experience I'll always remember is winning the semifinals for the RIT soccer team in a shootout. Most frequent student complaints are parking issues. I think it just reflects the most common "little" issue that puts a bad taste in students mouth about the overall RIT experience.