Rochester Institute of Technology

« See more reviews of Rochester Institute of Technology

This school is a self-contained universe, located in a small town between huge, sprawled-out shopping plazas, and as such includes anything students may wish for within its confines: wide variety of food, necessary household items, ATM’s, labs, coffee shops, and so on. It was made for maximum convenience. However, it also blocks off everyone inside from everything outside. After all, most of us here do not have cars or nearby family. The most frustrating thing about RIT is its protective confinement and its obscure location. It is a piece of the world not integrated with the world.

The art department is located generally in the basement of their building. There are no windows,no access points to fresh air or sunlight. Teachers tend to be condescending about student opinions and beliefs, for example, if I where to state a personal religious view of a topic in class, I could expect a feeling of distrust from other students or the teacher. I am Jamaican and British, individuals often identify me as black: this is a very small minority in my school, and I am prone to feel awkward if I am alone in a group of other ethnicities.

So far I have not encountered anything too frustrating. How ever if I had to choose the most frustrating thing about the Rochester Institute of Technology is how late I recieved my class schedule. My freinds attending other universities recieved their class schedule weeks ahead of me and I did not know when I was supposed to recieve my schedule so I was just waiting for the university to send me my class schedule. That was really the most frustrating thing that I have seen so far at the Rochester Institute of Technology.

Just as most of the other top schools, RIT has a very rigorous curriculum. One aspect that could be very good or very frustrating is the quarter system. Other schools have semesters, however, RIT has quarter. Each quarter is composed of 10 weeks. This means that students must keep up to date with all their work because there is no time to catch up. Personnally, I do not mind it because it means that three set of classes are completed each year which translates to more credits each year.

This will be my first semester at RIT, so I haven't actually been on campus for class-related reasons. I've have been on campus, however, for other purposes. Despite of that, there is one thing that's very frustrating: the amount of websites and pages that you're required to use. Compared to my community college that I attended for the past two years and their website, the websites and pages of RIT that students are expected to use are less streamlined and more confusing.

It seems that the new president is focusing on the college of engineering focusing more on research and less on strong leaders in industry. We don't have the money or the infrastructure to support this, and as a result, I feel that the mechanical engineering program is being weakened, and my degree is being devalued. Professors are no longer hired to be inspirational and encouraging to students -- instead, they are being hired to bring in research and money.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the distance between residence halls. Had I known that most of my current friends would live in a particular residence hall, I would have chosen to live there. Instead, I chose to live in a very small, all-female dormitory floor. Although living in a small floor does have its perks, such as less crowding in the restrooms and reduced noise, I often find myself very socially isolated.

I have frustrating thing about my school is alot of classes on tuesdays and thursdays. Same time, the time goes fast by also. I rather time goes slow by. I could have time to do homework or study. Sometime, teacher use sign language which I dont understand. I need teacher use american sign language so I could understand. However, I am doing so well anyway while i can patient to finish taken that require courses.

The most frustrating thing I have noticed about R.I.T is the lack of organization found in some of the clubs. Some recreational teams fail to alert all of those who signed up for meetings. This was frusterating for me because I really wanted to try some new sports and I was unable to join a rec team due to poor organization.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the resources for deciding what career you want. RIT is extremely career focused but that can actually harm students who are not entirely sure what they want to do with their lives. It would be nice to have more resources to explore more career options.