Roosevelt University

« See more reviews of Roosevelt University

Though being a high school senior was not such a long time ago for me, since my start at university life, I feel like I view the world through different eyes, and would have so much to share with my past self. As far as what I know, I would let myself be surprised, but hint that so much would be learned about myself and the career that I want, and Roosevelt is the right place to help get the most out of my education. As far as making the transition, I would suggest saving while I can. When I was warned that college was expensive, I didn't take those words as seriously as I should have. I would tell myself that I would be alone as far as money goes and would not have the emotional and financial support of those around me, and I have to be strong and persistent enough on my own to make it through the years to come, but that the reward of a great education is incomparable to any dollar amount and heartache associated with family betrayal. Be strong, and have faith in yourself would be the greatest words spoken to myself.

In looking for the right college, you want to look for an education which will not only give you what you need to advance in a certain career field, but you want a program that will help create you into a well-rounded, responsible, focused adult. It's not always what school you went to that will get you the job or the career advancement you want, it's the person who gives off the vibe that they know who they are and they know how to do what's needed--that's the person that will be hired. Students, look for a school that not only gives you a good education, but which will challenge you to be all you can be and which will give you opportunities to grow and discover more about yourself than your study habits. Parents, don't be so focused on a school's reputation or price that you discard an opportunity which may allow your child to learn more than how to be an accountant, but which will help them live as a responsible adult, who knows who they are, in a country where a college education is another step to being hired.

I would tell myself not to fear the future and what is to come as much as I did because it all works out for the best and, for the most part, will give me experiences that I never thought was possible for me to have--ever. Moreover, I would like to tell myself that college ends up being a lot more beneficial than I could ever imagine because I'll be able to discover myself and enjoy that time discovering myself more than I ever had the experience to realize before/during highschool. Highschool definitely is not the end and is just a stepping stone for what is to come. I would also like to tell myself not to be afraid of things not working out they way I wanted them to and the fear of hitting rock bottom--a place that I had never been before--because getting back up and rediscovering who I was, am and who I'm aiming to be in the future, is the most satisfactory and awesome experience I will ever have because it will make me feel more knowledgable and more accomplished than what I had ever thought for myself.

Roosevelt University has taught me that I am a valuable member of society and that I can do anything I put my mind to. It has taught me that success is possible no matter what, and that I can do anything I put my mind to. The professors that I have had at this school have helped mold me into a better person and continue to guide and mentor me along the process of getting my college degree. I feel as though this school, along with it's wonderful professors and warm, loving family-like environment, has shown me that school is so much more than high school and that college is not as bland as it can be made out to be. Earning your college degree can actually be a pleasurable experience, even with the dreaded finals and studying, and this school has taught me that it is okay to be who I am because I have people who will support me no matter what. In a lot of ways, the student body and faculty of Roosevelt University have been the family that I never had. I love my school. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

To find the "right fit college" for me was simple. I knew what I wanted to major in and I googled Theatre Arts Colleges. I began my sreach from there. Also qasking round for peoples ideas about Theatre Arts Colleges and going to the guidance counselor at my highschool was also a big help. When finiding various of differnt colleges I asked for information about the campuses. I appied to ten different colleges so I had options to choose from. To apply for my major was easy for me becasue I had to go to adutions in chicago where all of the colleges held one big audtion in the city for student to attend to. The one problem I had was my test scores taking the SAT's. One biggest advice to a new student is always have more than two colleges to apply to. That way if the student had trouble with the other two, he or she had the thrid one to pick from. It dosen't matter what college someone ends up going to. It matters how much work the student puts in the education and from there the doors will open.

College is full of new things. The biggest piece of advice I would give myself would be to visit as many colleges as possible. As a senior in high school decided to only visit one college, which is the one I attend now. I do not regret my decision but I think I should have looked at other colleges. Another piece of advice would be to enjoy my free time with my friends. I did have my fair share of fun with my friends in high school but never really believed that people change as much as they do. After my first semester I already see the changes occuring. I still communicate with my friends back home, but we are not nearly as close as we were, which is somewhat disheartening. The final piece of advice I would give myself would be to stay focused on school while in school. I think I did a fairly good job of staying focused in high school but I would repeat this idea to myself. Your education does matter, and some of the things I learned in class in high school have helped me alot in college.

If I could go back in time during my high school years as a senior, and knowing what Iam knowing now, I would have to say that I would have to choose college right after. During those times,I really didn't think about how long that it was going to take me to start and pay for school. Back then I did not understand how the payment process of tring to go to school will affect me. I had heard of the financial aid and scholarship s that were out there for me, but I did not have anyone to actually help understand on how the process goes. By then I already enrolled my self into the Army in 1997, having my life planned ahead ofr already. I enjoyed every minute of protecting my country. But something was just missing for me. During mt time in the service I never really had the opprutunity to enroll because I was so busy all the time from work. It's never too late to go to school. I had always admire to to become a nurse or a medical assistant. And now that I am in school, I'm Happy.

Take your time when deciding which school you want to go to. There is no rush to get to college. The most important thing is to find a school where you feel comfortable, and where you believe you can get the best education possible. Try not to focus too much on the money; but rather look at the faculty and more importantly the students. Get to know the people who will be your fellow students. If you can't feel comfortable around them, it makes the entire learning environment more difficult. While you are at school, do your best to succeed, but don't stress too much if you struggle. If you're starting to fall behind, talk to your instructors. Find out where you need the help and ask any questions you need to. It's important to succeed, but it's more important that you enjoy the work you're doing. There will be classes you don't enjoy as much as others, but don't slack off in them. Just do your best, and eventually it will be over. Most importantly, have fun!

If I can go back in time I would tell myself to study even more and pay attention to the classes that I used to have. Also I would tell myself to apply on time instead of leaving everything to the last minute because that would only make things worse for me and the whole process would only slow me down. I would tell myself to seek for advice because college life is hard only if you do not have the right information at hand since I would always think I didn't need the help at all. College life for me at this moment is going pretty well because I have the right counselors that are guiding me at the right track. I wish I could have done this way back, instead of going back and forth, and trying to do everything on my own. I would change so many things in regards to college life and I would have tried to seek a lot of advice this is why I am planning to teach my baby sister everything that I now know so that she will not make the same mistakes that I have done.

If I could go back and talk to my-high school-senior-self, I would say, "Be absolutely certain of what you want to do w/ your life BEFORE you enter a college or university." I wanted to take a year off from institutional education. It may be cliche, but I wanted to travel through Europe. However, my mother thought I was crazy and insisted I attend college. But if I would've been faithful to my original plans, I wouldn't have waisted my time at a school which didn't make me happy. Today, my life-goals have changed. It has always been thought that college is a place where you can figure out what you want to do in life; this way of thinking is a problem. I think that by enrolling "aimlessly," one takes space/funds from those who ALREADY know what they want, but can't attain it because their place may have been taken by someone less serious. Today, funds for education is a major issue. Education is a priviledge that shouldn't be squandered.