Sacramento City College

« See more reviews of Sacramento City College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would stress the importance of having a serious major in mind upon entering college and using my time wisely to prepare for it. Beginning your postsecondary education at a community college is a relatively inexpensive way to start working towards a degree, and because of this, it is also easier to remain "undecided" or change majors frequently and end up wasting time and money on classes not required for the major you really want to pursue. It is important to follow a plan so you don't end up regretting having randomly taken some classes unrelated to your major when you really should've taken the ones you need which would have meant graduating sooner. Another bit of advice I would share is: make the most of your classes! Learning the subjects is one thing, but fostering new personal and professional relationships with peers and professors is another important part of the college experience. Not only do you come away from your classes with newfound knowledge, but you also gain valuable networking and social skills that might come in handy in the future!

If I can go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself high school is a priority as a kid and college is a choice. I would also tell myself to search scholarships or any type of money that can help for school. Coming from a family that has low income is hard to pay for school, so please take any EOPS programs, financial aid, grants, book vouchers, etc it will be extremely helpful! College is really expensive now that I know; books, gas, parking, tuition. Know what you want career wise and find the right school match for you while attending community college for the first year after graduating. Work only part-time when attending college because it may get difficult at times depending how many units and what classes your gonna take. TUTORING! definitely take advantage of that because it will really help you with your classes, because passing classes is a must! You certainly do not want failing grades showing up on your transcript! It does not look good when transfering to 4-year universities. Please tell all of your senior friends to take all this into consideration!

The transition from high school to College can be overwhelming; however, it is a very important step up the ladder leading to success. Here are some pointers that can help make the transition smoother. There are many questions that will come up, so start asking now. Senior year is a perfect time to start mapping out your future. Pick a goal you wish to achieve, and plan your schooling around that goal. It can be useful to know, early on, if there are only a few schools that will allow you to enter your intended career; these schools usually want certain courses to be completed. Talk to a few college counselors, even if you will not be attending their school. Most counselors are there to help narrow down school choices in addition to avoid taking extra classes. Also, as a high school senior, you will be eligible for a larger number of scholarships. It is wise to apply now even if you think you won?t need them until later. The transition can be scary but do not let it slow down your progress. Remember, there are many steps that need to be taken to climb the ladder of success.

Upon going back in time and talking to myself as a senior in high school, I would have quite a few things to say! However, there are three things that would be the most important. The first being, do not give up activities you love. I quit horseback riding for a number of years and missed it regrettably. Pastimes and hobbies are what keep us sane through times of stress and new situations. Secondly, explore new subjects and areas of study. I stuck to what I liked and knew after highschool: art, writing, and philosophy. It took me several years to take the environmental biology class that sparked my interest for sustainability and urban development. I was finally able to combine my love of art, math, and culture to find a path I really care about. Lastly I would say, finding yourself takes time. I would remind myself that not everyone knows what they want to pursue or accomplish. Discovering oneself is a lifelong process, and having an open mind and being patient with the frustrations and obstacles that come with it will be pleasantly rewarding.

What advise would I give myself as a high school graduate? I probably have to say, " get more involved!". In high school, I was more involved with working then I was with anything else. I was too worried about moving up with my current employer and making a career at the age of 18 than I was I thinking "What do I REALLY want to do with the rest of my life?" I was focusing on the wrong thing at the wrong time. I had my whole life to work. Jobs are temporary. Careers are for a lifetime. Looking back, there were counselors, after school programs, electives, and many other things that could've sparked my interests to help me find a calling (if I just would've reached out). At the age of 25 ,with a husband, two kids, and a mortgage , I have found that the more I now involve myself with special interest classes and being involved with my community the more I know what I want to be. As a mother, I want my kids to be more involved in school because I see the TRUE benefit in how it can help a young adult grow.

Me: "Why are you shooting yourself in the foot?" Past Me: "I'm not! It's the facts: my grades are just okay, I'm not great at sports, and I don't do volunteer work." Me: "If colleges were all looking for the same type of person, there wouldn't be so many out there to choose from. So what if you only managed a B in history? You got an A in physics, right? No one is the BEST at everything. Plus, you're involved in a variety of activities! Just because you're not volleyball captain, doesn't mean you don't contribute as part of the team. Your strengths and life experiences make you unique. You have drive. That's all you need. It's true, college is hard, but that doesn't mean you can't succeed. You will have so many choices ahead of you: scholastic and socially. Trust your instincts, don't ever tell yourself that you aren't good enough, and don't be afraid to ask for help. You?re expected to make mistakes; it?s part of learning, and part of becoming an adult. If you're unsure; think, breathe.

Do not underestimate classes or overestimate yourself. Several times I have made the mistake of thinking that a class was easy and did not require more studying or that I was smart enough to get an A so long as I read over the materials once. In High School your grade for a class was made up of many different tests and assignments, but in college, the majority of your grade is dependent on the few tests you take. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to study hard for each and every test. Reading over the materials does not prepare you as much as you should be. Over-studying is always better than understudying; over-studying also prepares you better for future exams. In High School failing a test or two does not ruin your grade but in college tests are worth so much more. My advice to you is this: study hard for every test in every class even if you are given cheat sheets and note-cards; underestimate the class or overestimate yourself and I guarantee you that you will live to regret it.

The greatest hardship that you will face in the pursuit of your dreams is a financial one. Quite unfortunately it makes all the difference because without plenty of money, you will be unable to finance your schooling and as a result, your passion. Digital art and animation is quite an expensive hobby to fund, it's even more expensive to get training for. However, do not let the factor of money ever prevent you from carrying on in this adventure of yours. Because while gear and training may be expensive, finding assistance in finance or a job most certainly is not, there is always a way to acquire what you need. Maintain a positive attitude throughout, a good mental and physical discipline, and you will only excel in your career, as well as in your life. There is no need to lecture you on thinking of your future, you already knew what you wanted to do with your life back in fourth grade and for the most part, you know how to get there. Keep going strong. -Sincerely, you in the future.

Don't be stubborn about what you want to major in at the moment and take your parents advice. Look at every option available and explore different fields. I know you may think that the classes you are taking such as chemisty and physics are easy to you now but in college it is way harder. You should start looking at majors that you are actually passionate about. Don't just try to major in something that you think will make you rich like being a doctor. You'll want to change your major in a few semesters if you are not passionate about it now. Also instead of partying all the time and shopping for clothes, get a part time job and start saving up for college. You think everything is going to be allright but in real life money just doesn't come your way easily and your parents aren't always going to be able to help you. If you have extra time, start taking GE classes at the community college so you can get ahead. Do your research now or you will be screwed if you wait till the last minute!!!

If I had the opportunity to go back in time when I was applying to colleges, I would have looked at colleges that were more local, and I would have applied for more scholarships. My freshman year, I attended UC Davis, and I didn't receive any finacial aid. Because the school was out of state, I paid a ridiculous amount for my education, and as a result, I was unable to go back to UC Davis this year. At first I was disappointed that I had to attend a community college, but I am saving thousands of dollars, and I am taking all the same classes that I would have at a four year college, but I am saving a copious amount of money. The best piece of advice I would have given myself if I could go back in time would be to go to a community college in order to save money, and to work as much as possible to save up in order to attend a four year university the last two years. It doesn't matter where I complete my lower division courses, the only thing that matters is that my degree says UC Davis.