Sam Houston State University

« See more reviews of Sam Houston State University

The worst thing about my school would have to be the entire financial system. I feel as if there are many 'hidden' fees and that, although there is an itemization list, some charges should not have to apply to eveyone. Also, financial aid and all the workings behind it are not explained properly. The internet system, SamWeb, students must use to keep track of personal, scholastic, and financial records is also an issue. It is very tricky to use and hides many important applications most students need, such as the meal plan and housing selection section.

The subject that frustrates me the most about Sam Houston would be its miss communication between departments. I understand that each department runs separately, because otherwise it would just be crazy. Though the past two semesters that I have attended Sam, both advisers that I took advice from sent me in two deferent directions. From what I can put together, I think that the requirements for each major are adjusted frequently from the top, then there is a lag of time from when that information reaches down to the people who advise me.

There is one thing I can say that I really do not like about Sam Houston. The major problem we seem to have is not having bike-friendly trails. I was considering buying a bike before I came to Sam, but when I got here the campus was so small that I didn't need to. The only downside is the activities that are hosted usually block the route to all of my classes so that makes it difficult to travel on foot, so having a bike would make it ten times easier to move to and fro on campus.

The worst thing about the school in my opinion is the town the school is located in doesn't have many things that a college student would enjoy. For instance there aren't many places for us students to hang out at off campus but that is because the school is in a small town. My college located in a small town is a good thing because it doesn't have many distractions which can easily sidetrack college students.

When it comes to complaints about Sam Houston State University the complaints are not anywhere near the severity of the word worst. The only thing that I would improve if the chance arouse is the dining options. When you buy a meal plan you are restricted to two places to use that at. They have other places to eat on campus but the meal plan does not work there. I would make the meal plan more versatile.

The parking situation at Sam is horrible because students who live in the dorms are driving to class. But I don't know if those students can be completly to blame. There are sometimes plenty of spots to park (with reduced rate permits available) but they are "too far" for most. No matter the cause, it is still very difficult to go back and forth from campus and off campus lab locations during the day.

The worst thing about my school is the financial aid. The counselors told me I was expected to receive nearly $8,000 in refunds back to me, but I only received $3,000. I am unable to pay rent and after paying my bills I am left with under $2,000 to last me until August. They are not understanding of my financial situation and would not give me the information I needed to help pay for my necessities.

I think that my school should offer more majors. They only have pre-pharmacy and pre-nursing, and that isn't very helpful to those who want those as their majors. Sam Houston is a good school, and a lot of people may one to come here, but get turned around because their complete major isn't offered. More than likely they would have to transfer schools to complete their major.

The worse thing about the school to me in my opinion is not even the campus itself but the city that the school is located in doesnt have many things to do. Which is not really something that is that cant be worked around mot have many things to do allows me to be able to focus solely on my academics. Overall I really have no complaints about the campus.

The worst thinkg about my school is that it does not have a large variety of majors. It doesn't offer any pre-med degrees or law degrees. If somebody wanted to major in either field, they would only be able to spend two years at the most at this school. On the other hand, it is one of the best schools to attend for education, business, or psychology.