San Diego, CA
San Diego Mesa College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend San Diego Mesa College

Marla

As a senior in high school, my biggest problem was procrasinating. I procrasinating in all aspects of my life. If I could go back and give myself advice, I would tell myself to stop procrasinating on everything. I would also tell myself to stay focus during the entire year. I would apply to colleges earlier. I also would take the SAT's more than once. As a senior I would also advise myself to be more involved in the programs that occured at my school. My biggest regret of high school was quitting basketball as a senior, therefore I would advise myself to stick with it. Lastly I would advise myself to stay take my senior year more seriously.

Trinikka

If I was given the opportunity to go back and give my high school senior self some words of wisdom about life after high school, I would tell myself to take better care of myself in regards to health and school work. Once you leave high school and enter college, it is up to you to take the fate of your education into your own hands. No one will be there to constantly remind you that your English Literature paper on Beowulf is due tomorrow morning. At the same time, you need to start paying attention to your health. Procrastinating assignments to the night before they're due may have been essential in high school, but all those nights will take a toll on your body. Make sure you are drinking the right amounts of water daily and taking your iron tablets because going to the hospital again is not fun. Lastly, enjoy the time you have left with your friends. After high school, your friend count will dwindle so make sure you are cherishing the little time you have left. You will have the rest of your life to grow up, so live for right here and right now.

San Diego Mesa College is a school for those who do not have the funds to attend a 4 year university at that moment in time. Mesa College allows you to get the credits you need for transferring at a reduced price while still getting a good education. You can improve your school habits while having the time to try out different courses to aid you in picking a major if you ultimately decide to transfer.

The most frustrating thing about my school is in regards to budget cuts and high textbook costs. With the recent decrease in state funding, Mesa College had to cut a major quantity of classes leaving the rest filled to capacity. With full classes, its harder to get the help you need from your swamped teachers. The high textbook costs make it hard to do well because you ultimately have to decide which classes you can get away with no having a book, whish is quite unfortunate to me.

Amy

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would emphasize many characteristics that are needed to excel in maximizing every benefit of the education provided to me. By joining the armed services outside of high school, and not having the opportunity to attend college until the age of 27, I encountered many different transitions most students do not typically face. If this were to still be the case after traveling in time, I would explain how difficult it will be to continue education after such a long lapse, and that determination and concentration are crucial to success. In addition, I would explain the importance of community and campus involvement, and be able to give examples of how I have been able to make a difference in not just my life, but the lives of others, and how truly rewarding that can be. By advocating these principles I believe I would be further instilling that the values I carry within are essential to my overall achievement.

I wish I would have known how comprehensive college could be, if you apply yourself to all that is available to you. By seeking out programs, clubs, leadership opportunities and the services that are provided on campus, I have found that it has significantly improved not only my idea of what college is like, but it has also contributed to making my character more well-rounded.

I brag the most to my friends about the ability to make a difference on campus by my involvement in student government.

Cirilo

The most important advice I would have given myself is to not stress over school. Don't get me wrong, school is very important. You are going to college to figure out what type of person you are. Take chances and make mistakes, but learn from those mistakes. One thing I want you to focus on, is managing your time.

Our voice, San Diego Mesa College is always having activities going on, educational and beneficial. There is always someone or some group that is in out in the middle of our college trying open up our eyes and ears to the many opportunities we have and also to whats going on around the world. Most of this knowledge is presented by the students for the students through the Mesa Press, the San Diego Mesa College newspaper. There is never a dull day at San Diego Mesa College.

I would have to say the cafeteria food. Personally, I do not eat in the cafeteria. The food, I think is too pricey for the quality of food provided. There just aren't too many healthy choices. My self being a health nut, I bring my own food so I dont even have to deal with the options of the cafeteria.

Theresa

I remember my senior year in high school, the year I had to make a decision as an adult for my future. I remembered one particular teacher, it was my English teacher. During class, she would repeat herself numerous times and said ?go get your education, get free money and pursue your career." I ignored her message until I found out that I would not be able to attend the University of my Dreams. I did not have the financial needs to cover my tuition and books. I do not regret making my decision, I am currently attending a community college and I learned a valuable lesson from my decision. The advice I would give myself is to not wait for the last minute but to plan everything early, apply for scholarships and apply for financial aid. And if I would get rejected and not win the scholarship that I applied for, all I need to do is keep my chin held high and look forward to other opportunities. Although there may be challenges along the way, education is an important part of life.

The best thing about my school is that they try to provide you the most help in suceeding in what we want to do in the future as a career. Although the cost for classes has been increased, teachers find ways to make it convenient for us to go to school. For example, online classes, some people don't have the time to go to class so what they do is sign up for online classes.

The most frustrating thing about my school is that there are not enough space for me to sign up for class. Since the economy is so bad, they had to a budget cut for the school. They cut teachers therefore less avaible classes to take.

Fernanda

The involvement with the students and the community is huge at Mesa College. I always see chicano and black studies group fundraising to help the community. There is always something going on in school that get the other students interested and get information they might not know or heard about.

When i was in high school, i did not study that much i would feel confident with the material but i believe if i did study just a little more I would have gotten better grades. I did not do bad my last year of high school but my grades could have been higher than what I had. The problem i have had in college is with the studying of my classes. College is so much different that high school, because the teachers are not bugging or pushing you to get the work done. I was used to the help of my teachers wanting me to succed and my college professors just come to class teach and some of them do not even know your name. I have gotten used to that but everything is a work in progress. If I had known that before, i would have started since high school just to get a head start with getting used to a new way to study and get good grades.

Mesa College has one of the best sign language programs in San Diego. The college most of my friends go to is near where I live and people alsways ask me why I go so far just for a community college and I brag about all the good programs at my school that their school does not have.

Olivia

If I could go back and give myself advice as a senior in High School, I feel that I would tell myself to be prepared. I would tell myself that college is going to be an illuminating and unforgetable experience. However I will definitely need to work on responsiblity and studying habits. I would tell myself that College is nothing like High School, college is not just about earning the best grades and having the coolest friends. college is about your future, get ready because you are going to have the greastest opportunity of your life and that is to choose your future. You can be who ever you like. You dreamed of this as a child and now you can make your dreams goals. I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships because working 40 hours a week during the summer can be a hastle. I would also tell myself that all the volunteer and community service was not only fun and gratifying but it will help you to be a better person. Be prepared and never lose faith because math class is going to be real challenge to pass.

Before registering at the school I wish I would have known about all the groups, clubs, and sports we have at the school. Every semester I learn something new about my College. I never knew hhow awesome our theater arts was and how amazing our basketball team is. None of this makes me feel left out, if anthing I enjoy discovering new aspects of my school. One thing I think I would have really liked to know, entering this was the ASL department. I have always had a passion to learn a new language and Cuyamaca has an awesome program.

The kind of person that should attend my school, would be the kind of person that wants opportunities and education. My college is a community college so anyone can attend if they want a better future. I feel that by attending a community college anyone can save money and open a much more wider horizon to their future. Cuyamaca College is a great school to learn new languages, complete general education requirements, and even to recieve an associates degree. Cuyamaca College is also very diverse, there are a variety of different cultures, just as you would find at a university.

Samira

It is a place offering a great variety of educational paths and programs to a great variety of cultures and ethnicities.

Even if it takes a little more effort than you thought it would, do it right. Taking classes and giving just enough effort to get by will be of no service to you or anyone else in the future. Give it all you?ve got, and become well rounded and educated. Race, religion and gender will not hold you back if you use your smarts and get a good, solid education. Don?t let anyone?s words or attitudes toward you and your goals discourage you. Find someone who has been there and model them. Attitude is everything. Do not doubt or second guess yourself. Know that you can do anything you put your mind, energy and dedication to. Everything and everyone else will fall in place if you put your focus in the right area at the right time, and the right time is now!

The most frustrating thing is that it is over crowded. You have to arrive 30 minutes to an hour early for the on-campus classes. This poses a problem for anyone who has anything else to do during the day. It is hard enough to go to school, work and take care of kids while juggling their schedules as well. Because of this, I take mostly online classes, which takes away from a lot of the interaction.

asma

our professors care so much about their students. Campus is very clean. a lot of international students. we also have people from all over the 50 states which is good. everyone is educated, loving, caring, and has a goal in life.

be alert in class and take notes. go home and review the materials right away and don't postpone it till exams time. have fun and enjoy the rest of the day when you finish your homework early :-)

close-minded, ignorant, and careless.

San Diego Mesa College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.