San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

Two of my favorite class experiences: Imagery, Metaphor, and Symbol with Professor Langton. The whole class grade was based on your final research paper...no homework, no textbook, no tests or essays. And the final paper was no easy task, 10-12 pages, and to get an A he said the paper must "delight and amuse" him. But students still showed up, because his lectures were so interesting. He used to read snippets of great poetry and talk about how many words in English weren't English at all, like "canoe", "kimono", "gazelle", etc. I also loved Lord of the Rings as Epic, taught by Professor Tuma, who had created the class with his wife over twenty years prior! He was a specialist in really old English, Arthurian and medieval and stuff. He wanted to retire when his wife fell ill but admin. convinced him to stay because no one had accumulated the kind of broad but specific knowledge needed to replace him. This class was the last he ever taught at SFSU, and the last class was a retirement party for him with champagne and spiced wine and everything. So in general, faculty and students care about personal academic growth over competition. They want you to have IDEAS, and there is always an exchange of ideas occurring, whether between students or between students and teachers.

Professors knows names of students who ask the most questions in class because they are called on often. They make an effort to know students name if the class is about 30 students or so, any larger than that, it would be harder since sometimes they teach more than one class. Class participating is highly encouraged by most professors and usually part of the grade assessed for the class. Students do talk intellectually outside of class about the topics discussed and very helpful towards anyone who needs help. The education at SFSU is geared towards getting a job, there are a lot of recruiting events on campus to help assist us in that, as well as workshops and mock interviews.

BUDGET CUTS ARE RUINING THE SCHOOL. It's hard to get classes because instructors and classes are always being cut. Generally, instructors are easy to get a hold of and I have had a positive experience with all of my professors. SFSU isn't that difficult of a school, at least I think so. The class dictates what the students will be like..for example, in my English 114 class no one ever spoke but in my Philosophy & Religion class, no one ever shut up. It's also hard to graduate in 4 years at SFSU, a lot of people I know are on the 5-6 year plan because of the difficulty in getting classes.

In terms of admissions, SFSU is an easy school to get into. The challenge then comes from maintaining your gpa and excelling. There are many resources on campus and it is hard for students who just come and go to utilize the. We have tutoring sessions which help you understand material in class, we have the career center which will aid you in finding an internship, part time job or career. They also conduct mock interviews and such. There are many hidden jewels on campus. So a little exploration will lead to a big reward.

Academics varies here like on all campuses. Some departments are small enough where professors learn your name pretty quickly. For some, it takes a while. Class participation has always been open in all my classes. Students aren't as competitive as some other schools. It has a lot to do with self motivation. One thing I do like about SFSU is their accounting program. Very few schools have it, at most it's a minor. Our professors are really knowledgeable, and they challenge you.

there are a variety of class types at SFSU. To my surprise there not only were regular lectures, but ones in theaters which housed hundreds of students, and online courses where actual attendance was optional. I feel as the larger classes are impersonal. that you do not learn much from the course. In classes such as those, the professor is nearly someone who lectures and it is extremely hard to build a relationship with them because you are nearly a number who fills a seat.

Professors do not really know my name. My favorite classes are accounting classes since they are practical and professors seem to know the materials and know how to teach. The other classes are somewhat useless. Class participation is very common. Students are competitive and have intellectual conversations outside of class. I am accounting major and sometimes ask my professors for advices in future career. The education at SFSU is geared toward a job.

Since our department is the strongest, I think the intensity level in accounting is much better than other department that I've seen. However, even though the school want to show that they are really helping the students to find job, I do have feedback from alumni which they have trouble to find job. They feel the school isn't prepare enough to get them ready for the real world.

I've had a very wide range of professors, some of them very good, some of them very bad. Overall, the teaching quality is good. A lot of student do not spend much time in their studies and it is contagious. SFSU should look into ways for encouraging students to form student study groups

I am taking English 410 and 412 class for my requirement, and it is required the attendance. If you absent the class 4 times, you will fail the class. My classmate in that class are so lazy to do the homework, and half of them usually turn in the homework not on time or stuff like that.