San Francisco State University

« See more reviews of San Francisco State University

I completed my undergraduate degree in Psychology sometime ago in 1994. The university experience there may have changed since I attended; however, it was not a positive one for me. The atmosphere seemed cold and unsupportive. Instructors were not always high quality. I have matured since graduatiing there; however a person lacking, focus, confidence, and assertiveness, or wanting guidance and support would not be a good fit for this college. To be successful here requires the ability to advocate for oneself and have a focus on what you want out of your education.

There are definately people who should shy away from SFSU- those people can best be discribed as those who want to go to college for the "college experience" (Aka: pep rallies and football games and everyone joins a sorority). They're in for a rude awakening when they show up, because SFSU is a commuter college where people are much more focuses on the enlightening aspect of post secondary school. People who have a difficult time adapting to new surrounding should also not attend here. They just won't be happy at SFSU because everyone is so unique.

I feel that my experience at San Francisco State University is exactly what I expected for my college experience. It is a great size, diverse and welcoming. For those who do not like the cold weather, small and somewhat crowded classes or even small cities, this campus is not for you. SFSU is a "commuter" campus, but I have met many students who have moved from various towns of California to experience San Francisco, some make it and some don't. It is a school for people who are open to individuality, free spirits and open minds.

The kind of person that shouldn't attend this is school are people who don't like small schools because altough San Francisco State University offers a wide varitey of classes, events and clubs, it is not that big of a campus. The center of the campus is the Chesar Chavez Student Center; all the other buildings are placed around it. So it is easy to learn to find your way around campus, but if you like big campuses with lots of places to explore, this may not be the right school for you.

I think people that are closed- minded should not attend this school. San Francisco State is all about diversity and the freedom; having and expressing our own opinions, whether it is in the things that we say, the way that we dress, the people that we befriend. I wanted to got to San Francisco State for all these reasons; I liked the fact that you could be you, and no one would judge you. So, if you don't agree with diversity, I recommend not attending this school.

For the most part I strongly believe any kind of person can attend SFSU and would love it. SFSU is a commuter school for the most part becasue it is not a big as other universities but on-campus housing really helps with not having to commute. If there is a person that does not want a school that is open minded with the same type of people or, they don't want to live in the city then they would be the kind of people that should not attend this school.

You shouldn't attend this school if you're hoping for a close-knit community experience. My experience with SF State was a good education for a good price, but not a warm fuzzy sense of community. I was a transfer student that commuted an hour to get to school. I think a large percentage of the student body does the same, and ideally I would have preferred going to a smaller school where I lived with other students near or on campus.

I would not encourage someone who is a homebody or afraid to come into new situations frequently to attend this school because it is in a busy metropolitan city that can be initmidating unless you know what you're getting into. Also I would not recommend this school for persons who are not open minded to all types of people since this is a very diverse campus where you will encounter persons from all walks of life.

someone looking for a very inclusive school where they feel like they are part of a cohesive community. this is a huge school where it is near impossible to get into the classes you need the first time you try. the administrative end is absolutely ridiculous... they do not help at all. if you need your hand held through college, this is not the place for you!

A person who lacks an open mind for a diverse learning environment. An individual with a cold heart for preserving the quality of the environment is also the type to not be at a school like this. Also, a person who is not looking for a good educational experience overall in a beautiful city.