San Jose State University

« See more reviews of San Jose State University

SJSU oozes with diversity. It was the first school I attended that didn't have a majority in ethnic background. With different ethnicities also came diversity in other forms: gender identity, religion, socioeconomic status, abilities . . . SJSU was the epitome of America as a melting pot. America is a new soup recipe only in its infant stages of preparation. When freedom is the pot to hold everyone together, diversity is the ladle to stir everything. With different people, ideas, and values popping up everywhere, clashes and collides are bound to occur among the ingredients. But the students work it out well.

The best thing about SJSU is the proximity to Silicon-Valley companies. It's easier for students to work and attend classes since most of the students here work part-time. Internships are very important when looking for post-graduate jobs so the college career fairs with local companies helped tremendously. Going to interviews knowing that you have great experience makes it easier to compete with students from more prestigious schools. The tech industry is a great place to work because there is always new and exciting things happening and SJSU students have an opportunity to be at the forefront.

San Jose State's immense diversity is the greatest thing about the university. Clubs ranging from the Black Student Union to Akbayan, a Filipino cultural club, celebrate the different cultures and ethnicities of the student body. Having such a diverse student body allows us to learn how to get along with others who might have different beliefs or opinions and give us a bigger perspective on the world around us. I have learned so much about cultures other than my own just by becoming friends and speaking with people in my classes and people I have met in the dormitories.

The best thing about San Jose State is the amount of help available, and the community it's in. Freshman live in the most communal dorms I could have imagined, so there's always opportunity to make new friends and develop a strong base for when you need help. The school itself does everything it can to help students succeed. They have many different programs to help students adjust better to campus life. There are so many resources available to get you through your classes. There's even a Peer Mentor Center! The school is geared toward the students: period.

The best thing at my school is all of the diversity and opportunities to get involved. You get to learn so many things from different cultures and others get to learn about yours. There are many opportunities to get involved, whether it be fraternities, sororities, clubs & organizations, sports, community service opporutnites, there is something for everyone. You get to meet many people with the same interests as you and also many who have different opinions, but you learn to accept that everone has their personal experience and opinion.

It's a great diverse environment not only to meet friends but also future employers because we are in the heart of Silicon Valley where various types of employers are looking for college graduates. SJSU is also very diverse in it's academic programs as well as the instuctors. And, often times departments overlap so you get the chance to work with other majors and you are not limited to or confined to you own department. We are a diverse community in San Jose too, there's always something new to experience!

There isn't a "typical" student. I have heard over a dozen different languages and seen every skin color, age and class level walk by me on campus. Everyone has a different goal and a different vision of how to achieve it. You aren't defined by your major here. You define what your major will do for you. San Jose State is a commuter school so people come from all over the Bay to study right next to me. It's an amazing opportunity to be able to converge with such a diverse group.

San Jose State's most alluring aspect is its social and academic atmosphere. Any incoming student will have no difficulty in attaing friends and an active social life. Prospective students who desire to learn in a milieu where it is not cut-throat, then this University will be the perfect fit for them. A student will not feel pressured or forced into a major that he or she does not want, and fellow students are ever helpful in assisting one another in academic pursuits.

I consider the teachers on campus to be the best asset to the school. Every teacher I have encountered has acted in a way which indicates they are here to help the students as much as possible. Their heart is truly in their work and they really seem to care about the success of all of the students. They offer help in areas that they do not personally master just so the students know that they have someone to turn to. Their work and efforts is greatly appreciated.

The professionalism of the professors at my school is a very notable characteristic, I feel. They get down to business and are generally published experts in their field. Since I am a psychology student, I am more familiar with the psychology professors and have personally reviewed articles in published journals by the professors. The fact that I am being taught by an expert in the field is comforting and supporting in my pursuit of a good education .