Santa Barbara City College

« See more reviews of Santa Barbara City College

I would tell myself that going to community college is not something to be disappointed in. It is a transition in which you learn more about yourself than any other time in your life and is a time where you find your true strengths and weaknesses. You learn what becomes important to you, independent of what your parents think is important. College is something to look forward to as you begin taking classes that interest you and you can apply what you learn to everyday life which makes it less of a chore and more enjoyable. Creating an environment in which you can thrive by acknowledging what is important and what isn’t is important to the success you have. An open mind to new experience is one of the most important aspects of college as it is your entry into the world and the rest of your life.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would be sure to tell myself to "Be Ready." One of the major transitions from high school to college is that you're on your own. You have no one to force you to go to class when you're feeling lazy or slacking off. There is no more "getting in trouble" when you don't complete your assignments. Experiencing this college life has taught me to be very timely and goal-oriented. Living in Isla Vista, CA, next to UCSB, tested my ability to balance out school and my social life. UCSB is a big party school, but I still managed to be able to put school first. I would also tell myself to learn to become more independent because being away from home isn't always easy since you no longer have first-hand access to your parents.

I would tell myself to utilize all resources to get information about different schools to attend and to start saving up money for college. Now the prices are going up, so I would definatley tell myself to start saving money for college. Everything is so expensive right now and the prices are still going up, so the earlier money can be saved up the better. I would tell myself to see counselors at least once a semester, maybe even twice. To take advantage of all the work shops, tutors and other resources available at school. It is so important to familiarize yourself with available resources. I would also tell myself to start looking for scholarships early. Financial aid and utilizing resources would be the most important things to tell myself to figure out early.

I would tell myself to take high school more seriously, from the first day of freshman year or better yet, freshman orientation. What I realize now that I wish I had then is that school determines your future, it is how serious you take school that will reflect your future and where you will be. I would have planned more, aimed for higher goals, dreamed a little more had I known that college would be this challenging. It's amazing how much we take for granted in high school where we have counselors telling us what classes to take and where to go. And now, you are your own counselor and you have to take the initiative to seek help and advice, it's in your own hands to plan for your future.

Firstly, I would tell myself not to take Calculus first semester - I know you think you can pass it, despite the fact it's been a year since you've taken a math course, but you can't. It's just not going to happen, so do yourself a favor and take statistics instead. Secondly, I would tell myself to take every opportunity I can to learn and further myself - meet with professors during office hours. Do the extra credit work. Attend lectures outside of class, and join clubs! Getting an education is so crucial, and you should do everything you can to improve your knowledge and yourself. Life is about opportunities, and college offers you so many - so don't miss a single one.

If i could go back in time and tell myself what I now know about college and the transition I would say be positive. I remember graduating and being so scared of not knowing where I was going to be going to school or if I could move there. Though i did not have all the answers I tried to keep on thinking about tomorow rather than yesterday. And for the first day of college being prepared, meaning having all your books and some basic supplies deffinitly helps your nerves. Now that I have finished my first semester i would go back and tell myself to just do all of the work even if it feels like busy work because in the end i realized most everything I did had a purpose.

The four years you spend in college are unlike any other years of your life; use them wisely! Everything from the school you choose to go to, the major you decide to pursue, and the people you hang out with, have the potential to change your life! College is when you really start to learn about yourself and figure out who you want to become. The best way to do that is to put yourself out there: join clubs, take interesting classes, do things outside of your comfort zone, and don't pay any attention to what people think of you! Be your own person and follow your intuition. This is YOUR life, not anyone else's, so you have to live with it!

Stay driven. Understand that there are an incalculable amount of distractions that can divert your long-term interests into 'in-the-moment' interests so it is important to constantly think about your motivation for choosing a certain educational (thus career) path and use that motivation to keep your drive for success. Do not change - in a good way. Of course, it is important to be open to try new things and expand your horizons, blah blah blah, but you do not want these things to change who you are. Stay wacky and independent, dance whenever you can, and never turn down a smile.

If I go back and talk to myself as a high school senior first of all I would tell myself to prepare for my future. Preparing myself for a future involves taking college serious and realizing the importance of a quality education. How an education lays the foundation for the rest of your life. I would tell myself to dedicate myself to college and to make the best grades possible because it's important. I would remind myself how expensive a college education is but in the long run it's an investment in my future.

Life sneaks up on your, that's what I would tell myself. When we're young we believe we have all the time in the world, but one day you'll look back and wonder where the time all went. Since high school I have had many great expierences but my goal of getting a better education has been put on hold. When we are young we believe life will drop in our laps all that we will ever need and if I could tell myself to apply myself, work harder, and enjor the benefits later then that's what I would say.