Santa Fe College

« See more reviews of Santa Fe College

Knowing what I know about college life now i would have taken college classes in high school, transfer to a university right after high school, and read more about the scholaship offers the schools provide for you. first of all, taking college classes in high school will reduce the years of your college degree and will prepare you more for the college classes you have to take, plus it will help you avoid those intro classes in college. second of all, transfering from a high school to a university instead of a college makes life easier for students because you need less prerequisites to get accepted to the university. finally, reading more about what type of scholaships the school is offering for you is a very good way to start because most high school will not inform students about the scholarships they have and college or university will be very difficult ifyou come from a low income family like me and have to work full time to pay for your school classes because you dont want to be working like your parents and get a low income, you want to be a professional and earn a degree.

Senior Me: You're a pretty good kid, and you know it. Still, I have a few suggestions I believe you should take to heart. Foremost, accept that you are going to change. You don’t like change, but you can’t help it, even within yourself. It’s okay--whether you stop liking certain kind of food, or change your plans for the future. Don't be ashamed Also, trust that some things will work themselves out. Have more faith in God and yourself. Do not push people just because you’re afraid they won’t understand or invest in the things you feel are important. You can’t change someone else’s heart, and there are people and circumstances out there that fit into your heart perfectly. In closing, senior me, remember that you can change the world no matter what field you go into. You don’t have to wait until you graduate to start helping people and accomplishing your dreams. Also, if you suddenly realize you’re studying something that no longer seems relevant, don’t panic. You can learn a lesson that will help you through out your life even in the most bizarre circumstances.

I would have advised my younger self to start applying for grants, financial aid and and worrying about my future more. I would have told myself to look at other colleges around the country and apply to all of them. I applied to few colleges when I was in high school and ended up going to a community college not far from where I grew up. This decision was filled with regret as I scrolled through my Facebook feed seeing all my friends move onto the college of their dreams meeting new people. Time went by and I accumulated college credits but I was not in the least bit satisfied. I eventually moved to Orange Park to finish out my AA at St. Johns River State College which was another horrible experience. I am applying for this scholarship because I have a dream of going to Full Sail in Orlando for their Recording Arts Bachelor's program so that I can become a sound engineer. Having trouble affording the expensive college, I am vigorously applying for as many scholarship programs as possible. I am determined to be successful, and I believe Full Sail will help me with my dream.

I would tell myself to dual enroll in more college classes and take advantage of the free classes and free books. I would spend more time researching for scholarships, grants and loans. Learn the importance of time management and the importance of good study habits. Check out more colleges and what they offer and when the dead lines are for enrolling. I would participate in more of the high school clubs and organizations. This would provide me with more leadership opportunities which would be helpful in the college environment. I would spend more time in my guidance counselors office getting advise and learning more on the transition from high school to college life. I would make more time to study and prepare for the ACT test and also take the test more than twice. I would tell myself to focus more on my career choice and start preparing by volunteering at the local medical center. Most of all I would take more time to enjoy the overall high school experience and let my teachers know how much I appreciated all the time and efforts they put into my education.

At this stage in your life, it may seem as though future challenges and obligations, like getting accepted to college, earning your degree, and finding a job that you enjoy and that pays you what you deserve are a long way off. And, that's ok; you likely haven't yet had experiences that would prepare you for the difficulty of these challenges. You should trust me when I tell you, though, that these challenges are coming, and they are more difficult and will arrive sooner than you can imagine. So, you can do yourself a tremendous favor by preparing now. Discipline yourself not to procrastinate, to put your very best effort academically, and to plan ahead. Study hard and earn the best grades you can. Learn to manage your time. Doing so now will give you advantages in the future that reward you for the rest of your life, while not doing so will result in disadvantages that you may very well regret for the rest of your life. It's your life, and you should enjoy it. But don't allow your pursuit of happiness now to cheat you out of long-term happiness in the future.

My college experience has given me an enormorous sense of accomplishment and self esteem. College has also been a huge discipline booster because it requires me to keep a timely schedule and my belongings and thoughts organized. During high school I always did just enough to get by with an A or a B and never truly applied myself. However, college is completely different. In college I am forced to actually use the brain God gave me! Which is wonderful because I am forced to come up with my own ideas and thoughts instead of coasting through school on memorization. The sense of accomplishment I have required from college is also incredible. My mother raised me as a single mom which was really difficult for my two sisters and I. Being enrolled in college makes her extremely proud of me. I have seen first hand what it is like to struggle through life because of the lack of higher education. I never want to live paycheck to paycheck, and all I want from college is the opportunity to obtain a degree to land a career to successfully provide for my future family.

My college experience thus far has been absolutely fabulous! During my time in college I have had amazing opportunities presented to me in the form of leadership. I was elected to the Student Senate at my school and have become a Student Ambassador meaning that I?ve been able to encourage prospective students to choose the college I attend. I chose a major that I knew would make me happy and that I could have fun with. That is key. If you choose a major you like, you will want to go to all of your classes because they interest you. Attending college has also been incredibly valuable as far as socializing. I decided to live on campus even though I had the choice to not do so. Living on campus has allowed me to meet and socialize with other people that have been born of different circumstances than myself. This alone has opened my eyes to the idea that there is so much more to college than just textbooks and general education classes. College will always be a valuable experience for me even if I decide to change my course of study or alter my life goals entirely.

My name is Yves. I am currently enrolled at the University of Arizona for the fall semester 2012. To me, if I could go back in the time and talk about my high school senior I think I would seriously take in charge my future. Although I’m from Africa and even though our educational system is quite different from the system in the United States, we still have the same objectives and privileges which are studying hard to reach your goal and be successful. As a result, according to my college experience, I would teach to myself numerous rules to follow and a line of conduct to success in that environment. We all know how intense and competitive college is which mixed with various temptations (drug, alcohool…). Because of a lack of financial resources, I didn’t go further to reach my dreams and today is a blessing for me that the USA is giving me a chance to do well and realize my dreams. Now I have hope that I can compete with other students of my generations and with the same chances. In other terms, this transition would be suitable only if I do the right thing.

As a retrospective view, if I had the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would said "Be patient". The world is about the here-and-now perspective, and it is viral and will surround you. Don’t let it. The transition is easier than you think, but being able to control your dreams and understanding that each goal you have is apart of a much larger route is crucial to success. Your goals are important, using an analogy I would relate them to footsteps on a pathway to happiness. You take your steps normally and each one is towards your destined location. But if you decided to take the wrong pathway that seems less traveled, it can lead you through a strange time but it will be for your benefit to be patient. The road less traveled is never easier nor always harder, but being patient in college is what is vital to your happiness. Your goals should't be always to look ahead because a thousand futures do not make a single day, but a thousand days create a single future. Stay patient and in the moment, you will overtake all over your struggles.

If I were to go back to my high school senior year I would give myself advice on everything from money, to considering many different colleges campuses. Like most college students, money is one of the most stressful things for me, and I have experienced this full force my freshman year. I would advised myself to apply for more scholarships and seek out other funding options. I would give this advice because now I am in college and have to work fulltime at a local daycare in Gainesville. Luckily Santa Fe offers many classes after 5pm, allowing me to work while also going to school fulltime. So if I had had the knowledge I have now, it would have made the transition and my time here much more enjoyable. I also would have told myself in high school to look at a variety of schools. Because now from traveling and meeting new people I have set a goal to go to Florida State University this upcoming fall. This Scholarship would allow me to go to my dream school and not have to work fulltime in order to pay for the high cost of tuition, books and simply just living.