Claremont, CA
Scripps College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Scripps College

Melony

I really love the campus and the environment. The students are extremely friendly and there's always someone willing to extend a helping hand if needed. The professors are also very approachable and are more than happy to help you understand the material and talk with you more if need be. It's an all around wonderful place and I'm happy to attend!

Mindy

This is a sad place with a nice facade and no soul - full of activists including professors and administrators. The president and board are totally incompetent. Tuition keeps rising because they know the rich will pay for their white children to attend while those in need continue to suffer. This is a bad place. Find another college to attend and don’t waste your money,

K
A Low SES POC's Experience

A Low SES POC's Experience

Scripps College was the right place for me. Located in the tucked away suburbs of Claremont, I found an entirely different environment than what I'm used to. I'm a very shy and introverted person and I met my best friends here...the housing assignments were amazing for me. I grew so much academically because the classes are as rigorous as they get and the professors are so close. Senior THESIS is as intense as it gets. You'll find the quiet wallflowers, unafraid to own their feminism, and the charismatic faces who can't run away from the F-word faster. Honestly, Scripps is not very racially or economically diverse. I was often the only non-white, non-upper middle-class person in the room, and I noticed the most my freshmen year. First year is when we are entering college with our high school assumptions, so of course, it was the hardest to meld with such different kind of group. Scripps has an Admissions Advisory Board and FirstGen program for Low SES students of color like me. That's where I found community and the most support. These programs enabled me, they gave me a sense of belonging and made it so that I could fully love and enjoy my experience as a Scripps.

Reginald

Those who attend college are better prepared for life’s challenges and are able to make a viable contribution to their community and society as a whole. I decided to attend college to be able to interact with other people from different cultures and value systems other than my own. This would give you a broad perspective of how diverse the world really is, but also how much we are alike and what we all have in common, which is a thirst for knowledge.The idea behind going to college is to challenge self first and to put self in a position that would bring the greatest satisfaction, which is self gratification upon completion of a degree. Many people who have gone on to be successful entrepreneurs went to college to realize their full potential. This means that you too would have to become degreed to compete with peers and other generations. If you want to be taken seriously about career endeavors and respected for achieving your own goals and objectives as well as the goals and objectives of a future employer. Attending college is a way for you to utilize your mind and to sharpen your critical thinking skills.

Strong ,self-confident people who are grounded in their lives, who enjoy challenges and want to succeed.

The most frustrating thing is group assignments. Students are not as focused as I am.

Danya

Women's college, creative personalities, motivated, students generally actually like school, beautiful campus, dorms and great food were all unique aspects of Scripps. The Claremont University Consortium was also a big plus!

As a first-year in college I "knew" that I wanted to be pre-medicine and to go on to get an MD. After several years in college I was not satisfied with my pre-med internships. I eventually switched to pre-veterinary medicine, and am much happier in this career choice. Thus I would tell my high school senior self to be open when it comes to academic exploration. Changing your mind about what you want to do is not only okay, it is necessary. Even if you end up back where you started, or with a similar career/life path, investigating other options is always important. I would also advise my high school senior self that my true friends in college will be the ones who do not judge me, even after knowing ALL of me. Although there will always be people who judge you, being open about the fact that I have struggled with serious OCD and anxiety disorders allowed my to distinguish those who were truly loyal to me. I found friends who struggled with similar problems and who helped me through tough times at college.

A person who is closed minded, introverted, passive and shy might have a hard time at Scripps College. Someone who wants access to a big city would not be happy at Scripps. Someone who prefers to not spend their time around many women would have a hard time.

As you look to college, recognize that the college experience is as much about learning about yourself as it is about book learning. Enjoy the opportunity to explore diverse topics; don’t limit yourself to your major courses. You will meet different people this way, make friends, hone your ability to talk about a variety of subjects, and develop skills that may play an unexpected role later in life. You will be surprised to learn how much creativity is involved in science, how strategy used in sports plays a part in the boardroom and developing business strategies and tactics. Elective classes may lead you to your passion…perhaps resulting in you developing the next new hot business. Don’t take yourself too seriously, be diligent when necessary, do great work, and enjoy your college life. Believe in yourself, don’t hesitate to ask for help, dare to venture outside of your comfort zone in terms of who you say hello to and what interests you pursue, but stay safe. Look out for yourself. Be aware of your surroundings. Meet as many people as you can and learn from them, teachers, students, staff…there is something to be learned from all.

One of the best things about the school was the caliber of the faculty, staff and fellow students. All were outstanding. Additionally, as part of the Claremont Colleges, students benefit from a private women's college liberal arts experience while having tremendous access to the courses and resources at the other Claremont colleges, providing the best of a small private college experience and a larger university experience. You get the best of both worlds.

Meg

Scripps is the best decision I ever made. I love having the perks of a women's college while also having men around. Our campus is pristine and our students are passionate and academically inclined. Scripps classes require a lot of hard work, but the professors are excellent and the classes are small. It is a collaborative environment aimed to promote the success of each student. Claremont is a cute and very safe town. Students have fun going into town to grab frozen yogurt, go to the movies, grab a bite to eat, shop, or hit up the farmer's market. LA is about 45 minutes away and Pasadena is about 15-20 minutes away by car, and Scrippsies have plenty of opportunities to get off campus.

What do people really wear to class?

Anything and everything. Today I went to class wearing my workout clothes, but some girls come to 8 am classes looking like they came out of an issue of teen vogue. If it is sunny, girls will sometimes wear cute sundresses or shorts and a t-shirt. Most of the time, people are pretty casual- sweatpants, jeans, t-shirts, etc. but anything goes in Claremont!

What's the hardest thing about freshman year?

I think the hardest thing about the first year has been adjusting to college life and increased academic standards. However, the transition is definitely smoothed by the amount of resources available to first-years. The New Student Program plans several workshops before your first core papers, the writing center also can help students with their essays, and there are plenty of free tutors. Most importantly (in my mind) each first-year is matched with an upperclassman peer mentor. Peer mentors check in on you to make sure you are doing well and plan fun events to help transition students from home to dorm life.

Describe a typical weekend.

Weekends in Claremont are jam packed with events, but a typical weekend is going to vary by person. The schools always make sure to have at least one huge party every Saturday, and sometimes there is a big party on a Friday too (though Fridays are actually pretty mellow at Scripps). Besides parties, you can almost always find a couple concerts, a peer mentor event, a festival, or some sort of event with free food on campus each weekend. The problem in Claremont is deciding which events you want to go to, as the amount of choices can almost be overwhelming. I can guarantee that you will never be bored!

Where is the best place to get work done on campus?

Not in your bed! haha. I often head over to the 5C library to work on papers, because there are lots of outlets and there is a cafe within it. Plus I feel super studious saying I am in a library. Other options include each dorm's browsing room (a designated study space), the picturesque Denison Library, somewhere outside, or even at the pool if you so desire (though I would not recommend this option if you need to seriously do work). Your desk is always another option.

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

It depends on each person's schedule, but it is always OK to phone home especially during the transition period of your first year. I personally do not phone home very often because of the time difference between school and home, but I know others who call their parents 3 times weekly up to every day

I don't drink. Will it be hard for me to go to parties?

Not at all! Many Scrippsies do not drink, but still attend the big parties. Plus, there are plenty of other events on the weekend where nobody drinks, such as salsa night, concerts, and the Scripps carnival. The trouble is not finding a party/event for you- the problem is selecting one to attend from all of the options

I wish someone told me not to pack so much! Luckily, rooms at Scripps are quite large but I ended up bringing so much stuff that I never use. Also, I wish someone told me to bring Halloween costumes for parties

Why did you decide to go to this school?

I really wanted to go to a liberal arts school that would challenge me academically and encourage me to dabble in various areas before deciding upon a major. In the end I was looking between Scripps, an Ivy league, and an arguably higher ranked liberal arts school in Maine, and just found Scripps the warmest (both in terms of peers and weather). Additionally, I visited a class and was astounded by the intelligent conversations among students and faculty and the small class size. I also value the ways that Scripps empowers its women, and thought that going to this school would make me a stronger person. Plus, lets face it... it pretty much is a resort.

Gosh there are so many Scripps stereotypes, I don't know where to begin! As a all women's school, there is the inevitable "crazy feminist" stereotype. Some guys think that Scrippsies are easier catches because they are "isolated" from men in their daily lives and call Scripps women "Scrippers". The truth is, these stereotypes do not accurately portray Scripps women. In fact, no stereotype could because Scripps is such a diverse body of students. Yes, there is a LGBT presence that is very accepted on campus, but it is not overwhelming. While Scrippsies believe that women have the right to be treated equally to men and the ability to prosper, the campus is not full of raging feminist types. Though some girls like to party off-campus on the weekends (or on the weekdays for some), even the most party-centric Scrippsies do not completely fit the "Crazy Party girl" stereotype. In a sea of different backgrounds, opinions, and priorities, one thing that Scripps women do have in common is their ambition. Scripps students are generally considered to be independent, intellectual,active leaders and involved members of many of the activities and organizations on and off campus.

When asked how to describes the typical Scrippsie, there is an overwhelming consensus: there isn't a typical Scripps student. Women come to this school with different interests and to engage with all different types of people. Scripps has an LGBT presence which most students accept and support, but it is definitely not super overwhelming. Scripps also always discusses that it is working on increasing diversity on campus- but I do not find the college to be very homogeneous at all. I have plenty of friends that are black, hispanic, middle eastern, or asian, and know many international students. Lots of students are on some amount of financial aid, but there are others who definitely do not need it. Regardless, background does not influence who people are friends with. Scripps is a liberal arts school, and as the name implies most students are very liberal.

Scripps is what I like to call rigorous but rewarding. Excelling in classes requires a lot of effort, but students also have time to have fun as well. The classes are small, I believe the largest class I had was an Intro to Psych class with about 46-50 students (which is considered to be a HUGE section here). Professors are engaging, encourage us to participate, know our names, and love to chat with students outside of class. In fact, my Core 1 professor took us out for lunch one time. Scrippsies have plenty of options for majors, since we have the flexibility to choose either a major from Scripps, another 5-C school, or to create our own (there are TONS of self designed writing majors at Scripps, just fyi). Everybody is required to take one of several Writing 50 options freshman year and to go through the 3 semester Core Program. Core 1 is based around a compilation of texts and films all freshmen read. Students attend a weekly lecture, and then meet in small discussion groups. The texts are very challenging, but we get a lot out of them- especially after discussion groups. The class is a lot like mind yoga- you have to bend and stretch your mind, and try to think in ways completely foreign to your natural state. But it feels amazing when you realize its potential. Core 2 and 3 offer a lot of flexibility, and students can choose from one of several topics based on their interests. Scrippsies do not tend to be competitive with one another. My friends and I constantly ask each other for advice about our papers and study together before tests. If anything, we are very competitive with ourselves. Classes here do not tend to be of the traditional, lets-shove-facts-into-your-brain-as-fast ---as-possible type. For example, I came into my Intro to American Politics class expecting to essentially re-take my AP American Government and Politics class from High School. Suprisingly, the class focused on more theoretical approaches and critical analyses of American Politics. I felt like I got a lot more out of my class since we didn't spend all of our time learning what my professor calls " easily-Google-able" information

Ariel

Scripps students are compassionate women with very diverse interests. Our top 5 most popular majors range from the humanities, to science, to studio art. The consortium allows Scrippsies to have the best of both worlds; students get a small, tight-knit community at Scripps, but with the academic and social resources of a medium-sized university.

What are your classes like?

My classes have ranged in size from ~45 students to as small as 4 students. Generally, my classes are discussion based, so it's important to have done the reading and to be prepared to discuss the subject at hand. Scripps classes, sometimes even more so than classes at other of the Claremont consortium schools, can be very writing intensive, with a high level of expectation from professors. That said, I LOVE my classes. My professors know my name, and stop to chat when I run into them outside the class. They are passionate about what they teach, and it shows in the work they do. It infuses the classroom with energy and brings life and excitement to the classroom, even when we're studying texts from the third century!

What are some hot-button issues on campus?

Diversity, diversity, diversity. It's a big buzz word, and it encompasses a lot. Like many small liberal arts colleges, Scripps is largely white, so there's a constant discussion of how to increase diversity-- and how to best benefit from the diversity that we *do* have. Some great speakers have come to talk on this topic: most recently, Rinku Sen of colorlines.com

Living in the dorms here, I feel surrounded by friends, or at least potential friends. I love that I can go to the dining hall and run into people to eat with. While Scripps offers a ton of resources (and great mentor programs) for minority students through Scripps Communities of Resources and Empowerment, I'd like to see a greater discourse about ethnic and racial diversity on campus. What discourse there is tends to feel tense or hostile. I think that, intelligent, empowered and compassionate as Scripps students are, we can do better.

Things I love about Scripps: Encouragement to study abroad, The fantastic staff, faculty and student community, Tea in Seal Court every Wednesday, The bunnies all over campus, Spa Nights in the dorms, Pilates classes at the Field House, Our proximity to LA, Pasadena, Santa Monica, Laguna Beach, and the Food (in general, it's fantastic [Harvey Mudd offered Lobster Tail at Easter brunch one year, seriously!]).

Only for a few people, and only then to a certain degree. Like all colleges, we are more complex than our stereotypes would allow for.

I have had a lot of academic flexibility at Scripps. I was able to design my own writing major using classes from Scripps, Pitzer and Claremont McKenna. To do so, I worked very closely with my academic adviser (who is fantastic, and has the cutest yellow lab!). I'm especially excited to be taking Advance Fiction Writing in the Fall with Professor Jamaica Kincaid, who has been featured in all my short story anthologies. I love the Scripps encourages students to explore outside their major as well. I've discovered that I'm also in love with Anthropology, Psychology, and Religious Studies. I would love to minor in all three.

Most of the activities and social life on campus are mixed with the other Claremont schools. A typical weekend might include: A drum circle at Pitzer A concert at the Motley Coffeehouse at Scripps A recently released film showing at Pomona's movie theater Parties on either the CMC, Harvey Mudd or Pomona campuses A movie on the lawn at Scripps A trip arranged by Scripps Outdoor Adventure Program to visit the San Diego Wild Animal Park

1. Raging Feminazis and/or Lesbians 2. Party girl/Promiscuous 3. Prudes

Esmerlin

I didn't have any advice going into college, I was the first to attend a college outside of my home state. I would tell myself to save all of the money I earned from working, because it was unpredictable how much I would be spending while attending college. Also I would tell myself that there is nothing to worry about, the transition is almost effortless. There is as much diversity as there is in high school, so that I could learn even more about other people and their cultures.

There is no typical Scripps woman, but my classmates are generally passionate, intellectually curious, and desire to change the world in some manner.

Scripps College is a small all-women's college in a consortium of coed schools, and thus has support for and focus on women while simultaneously allowing students to access resources typically available at a medium-sized university. It is also deeply enriching and, while academically challenging, the emphasis of the college is not on competition between students but rather on learning from each other.

If I could give my high-school self a bit of advice, I would probably say something along these lines: "I know you like to have everything figured out, planned down to minutae, and that the uncertainty of the college application process distresses you. Honestly, though, this stretch of time (like the rest of life) is utterly unpredictable. Be prepared to be flexible. Don't panic when you receive rejection letters; rather, trust that everything is going to work out the way it needs to. Finally, recognize that your plans can and WILL change. You may have your mind all made up now, but be open to the possibility of changing it, of exploring new interests and passions. I guarantee you will not be disappointed by the discovery."

Scripps College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.