Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

I've met people from every race, religion, and sexual orientation here. There are a number of multicultural clubs that put on events throughout the year for the whole campus. For example, the Muslim Student Association celebrates Eid, the end of Ramadan, every year with a huge banquet that everyone attends, and no one cares who is Muslim or who isn't. LGBT is definitely accepted and open. People are chill about what they wear, wearing jeans and sweatshirts or tee shirts when it's sunny (it's not always rainy.) There are a few people with dreadlocks who dress kind of liberal-hippyish. I've met people from wealthy families and people who are only here because they got a full ride scholarship. People don't really talk about their financial status though, so it's not divided like that. There are quite a few people who went to private high schools, so I suppose that upper middle class dominates. It's all over, though. Most students come from the Western States, but I've met people from just about every state, and there are quite a few international students, though I don't get to meeet all of them because they're required to live in the Xavier Hall. The political left is definitely more vocal, but everyone is accepted as long as they respect other's opinions. Also, I've met a lot of people who really aren't interested in earning money but just want to change the world. People are very idealistic and are very into things like non-profit and volunteering. There is a business school, but I feel like it's kind of detached from the rest of the student body because they're not quite as into the social justice, change the world mentality as the rest of us.

Seattle's student population is very diverse, which is a great thing. On top of that, everyone integrates so well into that diversity because the students seem to have a mutual respect for diversity. The majority of clubs on campus are ethnic clubs with representations from countries around the world, including Japan, Taiwan, China, Africa, Spanish speaking countries, the Middle East, and more, so if you have an interest in those cultures, even if you're not ethnically of that culture, you can join. There is a very large international student population which offers a different perspective from that of the typical American college student. There is even a whole international residence hall, Xavier, which focuses on other cultures and language and where a majority of international students live among the American students. Everyone seems to find more than one niche group of friends, with a different group for each interest they have. If you live in the residence halls on campus, you'll never feel left out, as there are various events planned by the RAs that will interest anyone. All students I have met have been very laid back and are never stressed about what they're going to do about graduation. There are no fraternity's on campus and sports aren't very popular, so there is no culture of jock or masculinity worship. Everyone seems to be learning focused: not so much academically, but learning about new things and new people.

Seattle University is one of the most diverse campuses in the Northwest. We have a lot of international students and have a whole dorm dedicated to global students and also students interested in other cultures. A lot of activities are put on by the school that involve diversity and different cultures and I really feel like every race, religion, and lifestyle is extremely welcome here. There is a large homosexual population at Seattle University and also in this part of Seattle (Capitol Hill). Everyone socializes with everyone here and there is not one stereotypical person here at Seattle. Our eating areas are small so you can always find people to eat with and it's extremely easy to make and maintain friends and friendships. About half of the students are from Washington state, but 7% of the student population is international and basically every state is represented at Seattle. Students' financial backgrounds also vary. Seattle is very good with financial aid and will help anyone in need with great scholarships and loans. What I like about this school is that there is a lot of money in the school, but you could never tell who was rich and who was poor here. Everyone interacts and there are no class distinctions. Students are pretty liberal here and are very active politically and environmentally; Seattle is a very green school.

The ratio of girls to boys is 60:40 and the gap is growing. It also doesn't help that, here on Capitol Hill, there is a large homosexual population. So there's not a lot of dating opportunities out there for heterosexual girls. There are many races present and lots of international students. However, many students seem to stay with their own "groups". The Japanese students only spend time with one another, as do the Hawaiian students. Certainly there is interaction, but not to the degree that the university likes to pretend. Many students are from the Seattle area, so out-of-state students can often feel left out. There's a mix of financial backgrounds though. Some people have completely over the top apartments and don't work, while others live in the triple rooms in the dorms and work 40 hours a week along with classes. It's a very socially aware campus due to the Jesuit commitment to social justice. There are lots of rallies and protests and club meetings constantly going on. I would hazard a guess and say most students lean toward being Democratic, but so does most of the country after George Bush, so it's hard to judge.

Seattle University prides itself on ethnic and cultural diversity. This means a lot of Asians--the largest minority population of the area. The school also has small but significant African American populations and foreign students. If you want to learn about different cultures, you have the opportunity. The school is very gay-friendly, making it a comfortable place to study for homosexual students. A warning to the ladies--the guy to girl ratio is low and a larger-than-per capita population of the male students is homosexual. In short, it's easy for a strait guy to meet women but hard for a strait women to meet men. If you're religous, conservative, or moderate, the liberals will try to make you into a straw man they can attack to define themselves. The level of political liberalism coupled with the drama of the students makes it a politically charged campus. It's kind of a farce, really. You may come here political, but you'll leave apathetic to the whole deal.

There is a group for everything on campus. No student would feel out of place, there are all types of people at Seattle U. Students usually wear sweats and comfy clothes to class. I felt dressed up when I wore heels one day, some students wear heels al the time though. Yeah all the different groups interact with each other. Four tables in the dining hall, one contains the soccer boys and some girls, one contains graduate students and their computers doing work, one contains all sorts of different people who are all friends and one contains a group of girls just having good time. Most Seattle U students are from Washington, but people come from all over. The financial backgrounds of people are usually middle to upper-middle class. Yes any students would love to rave about their political views to you. They are predominantly left, democratic views. No they do not talk about now much they hope to make someday.

Our student body is really open. And since it's so small, you get to know a lot of people really quickly. There is a lot of diversity, not everyone comes from one place. We have plenty from the east coast, and plenty from the Seattle area. Not everyone is of a specific social class. In my room, I'm middle class and paying for EVERYTHING through loans. My roommate is lower class and paying for almost everything through the government. Another is upper middle, lower upper, and is paying with a trust fund. My last roommate has a rich grandparent who gives her whatever she needs. But no one cares. And no one cares about future earnings. We care about the future in general. Where we're going to live, if we're going to get married, what our dream job would be... that stuff. And that's what most everyone is like. They look at the happy ending, and what makes them happy along the way. Not the money.

There is a strong presence of minority groups on campus. Many clubs are formed and they put on some pretty amazing events. The only kind of student who would feel out of place at Seattle U would be a very close-minded student who is afraid to ask questions and show genuine interest in people who are different from them. Students wear all types of different clothes to class. They wear whatever is most comfortable. During finals you see more people wear sweats but you also see more people dress up for final presentations. Most Seattle U students are from the State of Washington but most others are from California, Montana, Oregon, Alaska, and Hawaii. There is also a very strong population of international students on campus. Many Seattle U students are politically aware and are predominantly left/center. Although there is a strong right presence on campus as well.

The racial diversity is pretty strong, and the Mexican and Filipino communities seem to be particularly tight and well developed. Ethnically there is a lot of mixing, too, not so much 'self-segregation'. It's hard to feel out of place at SU because you have the rich kids straight out of prep, you've got kids in on scholarship from Seattle itself, you've got your (stereo)typical Seattle grunge and indie kids, and you've also got a lot of kids from Idaho or Montana bringing sort of a country or at least small town sensibility with them. The LGBTQ community is very strong and active, we just had a drag show this weekend. The LGBTQ community is also the place where there is the most ethnic and socioeconomic mixing I think.

The most vocal student group is probably the LGBT groups, aimed at acceptance and equality. They are accepted hear at Seattle U, especially in Capitol Hill, Seattle's "Gay Neighborhood." Many students do come from a priveledged background, but not everyone! Some students, myself included, pay for our own tuition and living expenses. That means we work hard, and get a lot of help through scholarships and grants. In the garage, you'll see brand new BMWs right next to twenty year old Toyotas. In the same vein, some students are preoccupied with how much they'll earn after graduation. The school is very social-conscious, so most just want to get by and make a difference in our world.