Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

The most popular groups are soccer, softball, basketball, Alpha Psi Omega, Circle K, SEAC, club volleyball, club tennis, and the Pacific Islanders groups. I am in crew and I love it, I had never rowed before this year and since there is no experience necessary I joined. It is very fun, you meet great people and get a great workout in the mean time. Students leave their doors open for about the first month, then they are rarely open. Basketball and soccer games are pretty popular. Guest speakers are always popular. Lots of people got see the plays on campus. The dating scene is dismal. Girls have little luck because there are so few guys. Guys have good luck with dating though. I met my closest friends on the freshman service day at the beginning of the year, in Biology lecture and from being social on my floor. If I'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday chances are I'm studying or writing a paper. Or else I'm just having a random fun night with friends. People party every Friday and Saturday night. We have no frats or sororities, if you want to party at them you can go over to udub for the night. Last weekend I went to the beach, partied, went out to eat, did homework, enjoyed the sunshine and went to a concert. Things that don't involve drinking would be going clubbing, watching a movie, going out to dinner, walking around downtown or baking brownies. Off campus I work, I go to the park, I go downtown and to pike's place or I go to a beach.

Student leadership and activity clubs are divided. I always thought it would be better if they could unite and work together. It is hard to get involved in clubs after the first few weeks without knowing someone in the club. Dorm room doors are mostly left closed. Dorms can vary from very social to extremely quiet and uninvolved (like my floor was, the all-girls). There are no frats or sororities. Dating is minimal. Events are widely unattended despite much publicity. I met my friends through orientation, my major and living in my room. If i'm awake at 2am on a Tuesday i'm reading a novel to help me fall asleep. Each year there is Quadstock, a music festival which was fun. And senior streak where 20-30 students, mostly seniors, streak through campus. Probably the most well-attended event I went to all year. People don't party, or they do it off-campus and its pretty pathetic. Last weekend I got drunk with my friends, walked to Dick's to get burgers and stayed up dancing in my friend's room. Saturday night you can go to a movie, Neighbor's the gay club nearby, Julia's the dragshow also nearby, you can get high on weed. There are very few campus events on the weekend.

There are definitely people who party, but most of them go off campus unless they're freshman who don't know better than to drink in their rooms (they usually get busted.) I don't drink and I've never had a problem finding something to do. Lately I've gone to a Ben Folds concert, played outdoor capture the flag with a bunch of people, gone out to dinner, and watched movies in the dorms. The dorm atmosphere depends a lot on which floor you're on- go with a themed floor, because people are more likely to be excited about being there. There is no Greek life. Off campus there is tons to do because we're on Broadway, and we're just up the hill from downtown. Also, there is a shuttle that drives students around at night. I go swing dancing at Century Ballroom sometimes. Since athletics is not the biggest thing on campus, there is not as much school spirit as at other schools. Still, soccer games are pretty big and so are basketball games. Most of my closest friends live on my floor, or I met them at the New Student Retreat. The dating scene is not too great; most of my friends are single but many have gone on at least one date this year.

Seattle University's campus is located near three happening neighborhoods: Capital Hill (Broadway), the International District (China Town), and downtown. Capital Hill is Seattle's gay neighborhood with plenty of trendy night spots, vintage clothing stores, and indie music shops (as well as a weekly drag show that is an absolute must see!). The main street in Capital Hill is Broadway (which runs right along SU's campus) which is home to numerous locally owned restaurants from every ethnicity you can think of. On top of the restaurants on Broadway, there are independent movie theaters and play houses, dance clubs, galleries, and many interesting stores. Off campus, you'll be able to do almost anything you can think of with just a quick walk. As for on campus events, there is just as much variety. The residence halls always have a program every Friday night (and more often than not, during the week), various club activities, as well as interesting academic lectures. If you and your friends every want a bite to eat or a place to talk at 3:30 a.m., there is always the 24 hour IHOP right across the street, too!

First of all, we don't have fraternities or soroities here, so the parties are pretty low key and you have to really search for them. But they do exist! Students are welcoming of everyone and everyone is invited to every party basically. The school also puts on great events that are really interesting, educational, and fun. The speakers are amazing and the dances are really fun. Also since it's such a small school, the student body puts on more events and basically every week is themed and speakers in that theme come and events revolve around themes and every weekend there is at least one late night event. Dating wise for straight guys is great. You have a vary large selection. For the ladies, however, it's not so great. Not only are there fewer guys in general, but there is also a large gay population, so good luck! Now for Seattle nightlife, there are clubs for 18 yr olds, great restaurants, and great concerts that people go almost every weekend. There's always something to do here!! And there's so much to do that people don't just result to drinking, we actually go out on the town and have a really good time.

We are a school that does not have a greek row or a greek system, but that doesn't stop people from having fun. The most popular groups on campus differe depending on the perspective. I would say that there isn't just one popular group on campus. Seattle U is still on the process of developing our athletic teams. Soccor and basketball are very popular athletic events, but our Softball team is pretty talented. There are alot of speakers that come to Seattle U. I have attended many events hosted by Albers School of Business and Economics to hear the likes of Rick Steves, Kevin Turner, and Alex Counts. Seattle U isn't known for its party scene especially after the media attention for shutting down parties that are hosted by Seattle U students, but people still party and there is no way around it. Most party occurs on the weekends, off campus. There does not seem to be a lot of things to do on a Saturday night that doesn't involved drinking except maybe going to a club to dance or see a movie or hang out in the dorms.

The most popular groups on campus include the basketball and soccer teams, the campus ministry group, and the international student organizations. I am involved in a business fraternity called Alpha Kappa Psi. It is the only fraternity at Seattle University and focuses of professionalism and brotherhood. I met my closest friends in the dorms, in classes, and through the fraternity. If I am awake at 2am on a Tuesday, I am probably studying for a test for the next day or watching a movie or talking with friends. There is an event called Quadstock that happens every year where live music plays, there are activities and games, and lots of food to eat. It is a great time (and generally the first time) where students can enjoy the sun during spring quarter. There is only one fraternity at Seattle U and it is a professional co-ed business fraternity called Alpha Kappa Psi (Gamma Omega chapter). Saturday nights that don't involve drinking involve movies downtown or in the dorms/apartments.

The school is large enough to have clubs for nearly any interest and works well with students to form new clubs. Sports is getting big here as the school is moving to division A and you can live vicariously through the athletes if you're that pathetic. It's easy to meet people here as a freshman, but transfer students have trouble--they do make friends, but not as many as those who come right after high school. All sorts of cultural events--poets, plays, music, speakers, religious celebrations--abound here. The are probably one of the best things that the University has to offer. As stated earlier, the dating scene is great for guys, but bad for ladies. It kind of gives women an advantage--they don't have to worry about distractions from their studies. If you like to party, you can party; if not, downtown has all sorts of fun events from movies to shopping to lots of good dining.

In certain dorms, doors are left open all the time. Friday nights are great. Not many people party. Most people ask if you want to walk to Dicks with them and grab a milkshake and walk around downtown. We have 3 co-ed frats, I think. They're for the business school. Some people really get into them. Most don't. But even if you don't, you're not left out. There's always something to do or somewhere to go with someone. We have the sport fans that go to athletic events, some gamers who hook up their wii to the big screen, and the shoppers who walk to Value Village to browse. There are always events on campus, and off. Speakers (the author of Three Cups of Tea came just the other day, as well as Rick Steves) often visit, the drama center puts on plays, and we're in the hub of downtown, so there's always a symphony or musical or concert to go to.

Being in such an active city, there are always hundreds of music or artistic activities every weekend. Students go to local music venues, art shows, or theatre productions. Sports takes a back seat to the arts, though Seattle has several professional teams. No frats or sororities, so students party in their dorm rooms or go to the nearby University of Washington for frat parties. Though students are out all night on the weekend, few parties occur during the week -- that's when we study! Last weekend, I took in an Mariner's (baseball) game with a friend and went bar hopping afterwards. On Friday night I went to another friend's house for a casual dinner. Though we had wine with dinner, a friend who doesn't drink enjoyed herself and her glass of water. Drinking is common, but many people find plenty of things to do without alcohol.