Seattle University

« See more reviews of Seattle University

Best thing about Seattle is going back home. School is aight, nothing too hard. Administration koo, lots of asians, no black people

SU from when I was a freshman and as a senior now, has changed. I remember coming to the small school for the communal aspect; that everyone knew each other... sort of like high school (both the good & bad). However, SU has been on a mission to expand the campus, meaning the freshman size has nearly doubled, dorms are being built on street corners, a BIG push on D1 sports is top-priority, and most notably, class sizes aren't as small as they once were. They're trying to compete with UW and larger schools - to make their name more known. I don't blame them, but I don't think they realize many people come to SU because it ISN'T a well known or populated campus. They need to accept this and learn that it isn't a bad thing. That said, SU's heart is still there and they mean well... the students aren't your typical UW frat boys or girls; everyone has something unique to offer and very welcoming. The teachers & staff (including the dorm's cleaning & lunch ladies) know you by first name. Religion or beliefs aren't pushed on you. There's a group for everyone - the nerds, the jocks, the hipsters, the gays, the partiers (which, btw, SU DOES have - for anyone questioning our party habits; they exist, believe me). So long as you don't come to SU expecting the cliche college experience of frats, auditorium classes, and football tailgates, then you'll fit in fine... it's an overall very laid back & honest campus.

There are no sororities or fraternities, which makes the college experience different than a lot of public universities. There are definitely people to party with if you'd like, but there are a large number of people who don't drink or smoke here. It's a very liberal college, and I wouldn't suggest a conservative student go to this school, and that's coming from a liberal. A lot of the classroom discussions are biased and assume that everyone in the classroom has liberal beliefs. Along the same lines, if someone is uncomfortable with homosexuality, then this school would make this person uncomfortable. There is a large population of homo/bi/tras-sexual/gender students here. The class sizes are generally small. Some of the more popular majors are Poli Sci, International Studies, and various liberal arts majors. For someone who is applying, I'd tell them that although the school is very expensive, they give very good scholarship and aid. Oh, and write your essays about diversity.

Seattle U is located in the center of the Capital Hill district, so the avenues of fun and entertainment are pretty open. The campus is pretty small, class sizes seem to generally be between 15-25 students. Most students on campus will say that's a major reason why they came to Seattle U. The hot spots usually aren't on campus, since it is so small in size, but that's countered by the availability of coffee shops and entertainment spots gallore right off of campus. Some of the big recent controversies on campus include the condom debate. Unlike public colleges and universities, Seattle U is a Jesuit institution which derives it's heritage from the Catholic tradition. Needless to say, condoms can be found everywhere except on campus here. Students have been pretty riled up on both sides, but the administration stands firm on it's opinion about contraceptive use.

I just started law school at SU. I fully recommend this college for its great resources and great staff who go over and beyond to make sure the students succeed in school and obtain great jobs once they graduate. My first summer I took criminal law with one of the best professors I have ever had, and received workshops on time management, case briefing, exam writing, legal writing, resume writing, interviewing, mentoring, and was invited to many social parties to meet alumni and attorneys in our area. The staff and students really are there for you if you feel you can't handle the pressures of law school and will give you encouragement the whole way. This is a good school! Difficult as it should be, but manageable.

Seattle University is right on Capitol Hill, meaning it is right next to downtown Seattle. I think Seattle University provides an ideal atmosphere because the campus itself is small and intimate but it is surrounded by a large city which provides a plethora of avenues to be explored. I would say there is a good deal of school pride here, but it's not expressed in the typical ways. Instead of rallies or themed "spirit days", Seattle University express their pride through the productive activities they are involved in. Students are made constantly aware that "commitment to social justice" is not just a line out of the mission statement, its a standard to which the students hold themselves accountable.

Seattle U is a school that's so committed to their Jesuit mission while at the same time being really open to all religions. They're dedicated to the environment (check out the LEED-certified Student Center or the pesticide-free grounds), social justice and educating the "whole" person. Being near Broadway and downtown makes it conveniently close to city life, but the serenity of the campus is a great place to take classes. The biggest controversy lately on campus has been themed parties and the administration's involvement in off-campus student activities. If there's a criticism of the admin to be found, it's that--students should be able to have their private lives and SU needs to respect that.

Seattle U is a great size especially given the location. People and places on campus will be familiar and if you need an escape the city provides endless opportunity. That being said students tend to spend lots of time on campus or in local coffee shops. Most recently the biggest controversy has been our move to D-1 athletics. Although this has been a point of contention for many students and faculty. The University has handled it fairly well though open forums and focus groups. Seattle University has a strong focus on social justice and in my experience actively works to achieve its missions of empowering leaders for a just and humane world.

I absolutely love Seattle U, the students are nice and easy to meet. The school is a little small, but students have the entire city to draw on. People that like Seattle U most are those kids that abhor the idea of a faceless state school with crazy parties every night. Get ready to make use of the quirky offerings of Seattle like international film festivals and concerts. There isn't a lot of sports pride, in fact most students are opposed to the move to D1 sports. The administration is easy to deal with, professors are great about meeting with students.

It's a beautiful place with wonderful people.