Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Hmm. Ok, in terms of student body, it often feels pretty homogenous. There has been a push for more diversity since I've been at Skidmore, yet there definitely feels to be a predominance of Caucasion, Northeastern students. There are also definitely more women than men. There have been incidents where people of other races, sexual orientations, and religions have felt threatened at Skidmore, yet I should stress that these were isolated incidents and for the most part the school community was very satisfied as to how these situations were handled. Overall, Skidmore is a very welcoming, accepting place. Skidmore I think is known for having an accepting, LGBT community. I am very proud to say that Skidmore students and faculty have open minds and open hearts to people of all different sexual orientations, races, ethnicities, religions, socioeconomic statuses, and political views. In terms of how people dress, I think there is a big emphasis on individuality. There are preppy kids, scene kids, hipster kids, hippie kids, outdoorsy kids- really every kind of kid you could imagine. I think individuality is definitely a big thing at Skidmore. In terms of what kids wear to class, some get dressed up, some don't. Mainly its pretty laid back, with kids wearing skirts, jeans, kakhis, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. When its a busy time of year, kids wear pajamas. No big deal.

School is gaga over LGBT issues. I'm not against gay rights or tolerance, but the school reeks of so much politically correct bullshit that I sometimes want to punch someone in the face. One of the posters in the bathroom for the suite in which I live in the dorm in which I live actually recommended using gender neutral pronouns when referring to people. I can't remember exactly what the pronouns were; "zir and zee" I believe they were. Seriously, how many fucking people don't have a clear "gender identity" 1 in 10,000? People who are among the 1 in 10,000 should just except that they don't have a clear role in society and that their lives are going to suck. The school talks a good game about diversity, but the vast majority of kids are upper-middle class and white. Most of the blacks kids hang out with other black kids. Most of the international kids hang out with other international kids. This school's full of the typical liberal bullshit. Students are mostly liberal, although business is a popular major -- maybe the most popular; business majors tend to be more conservative, they tend to be jocks and they tend to be unintellectual retards.

Skidmore does not have a diverse campus. Most students are upper middle class and white. There is a small minority of racial students on campus and diversity is felt through activities and performances. Yet, Skidmore cannot offer as much scholarship money as competing schools, since it lacks a large endowment. Being a creative, hippie school, you'd think that Skidmore would have a very large LGBT community, but that's not the case. The community is sizable and their presence is felt, but it is not overbearing. Students are very politically aware. We predominantly care about environmental issues and human rights. Instead of talking about how much money they'll earn one day, student talk about whether or not money leads to happiness and if it is morally right or wrong to accumulate great wealth. Students are very active and the Outdoors club has a big following.

Skidmore has everything from hippies to artists to geeks to "bros" on campus... still, if you're not willing to accept other people regardless of how they dress and judge them solely on what they look like, you shouldn't be here. Students tend to be pretty well-dressed in my experience, but I spend time mostly with the artsy types, so that probably has a lot to do with it. Most students are from the east coast, north of Washington DC, with a LOT from New York State. Everyone is politically informed, and tends to be quite liberal, though the Skidmore Young Republicans are very vocal despite their small numbers.

Skidmore loves diversity- maybe too much. There are some rabid people who are willing to take any comment and turn it into an attack on some marginalized group, despite the intent of the speaker. Luckily, these people are a minority. There are also some dumb rich kids who probably only got in because their parents could pay full tuition, and there are ignorant people as well. Overall, though, kids here are genuine, crazy, intelligent, and fun to hang out with. The school definitely has an artsy component, but most anyone could find a place here and be happy.

We're a primarily white campus with little racial diversity. Most everyone is very nice and polite. The blue side of dining hall is for the bros and atheletic girls. Half of the red side is for cool people and hipsters; and the other side is for the weirds. I spend a lot of time just hanging out in dining hall. Different types of students interact a little. We're all from different places around the world. The campus is predominantly liberal. No one would feel out of place at Skidmore, we have a good spectrum for people to fit in.

Students have a wide variety of interests and this creates great intellectual discussion on campus. Students are generally very open to all types of people and would love for a more diverse student body. The reality of the situation is that it is hard for a private school in upstate New York to full of diversity, look at our peers who lag behind us. Students are from all across the country and globe, and the student body is more diverse every year. Students are not very politically aware but generally lean more left then right.

There are large groups of middle class to upper class students, as well as politically left students. However, there really is a wide range of students and not fitting into those categories is not a problem. If there were only four tables in the dining hall they would probably be divided into the lacrosse bros, the recycling club, the actors/actresses, and the international students. However, I don't fit into any of these groups and I couldn't be happier here!

Varies. A vast majority come from some form or wealth. If not they're here on scholarship by way of upping diversity numbers or residents of the state of ny. (that sounds terrible but hey that is reality) You have your hipsters, art students, dancers-excessive and wonderful creative people, the jocks (tend to run in their own separate circle), and the rest of the population which is hard to define.

While the liberal mindset is common and can get annoying when everyone has one way of thinking, i have found that there are people from all walks of life and from all belief systems, and not always what you would think when first meeting people. You have to be ready to defend you're own beliefs intelligently though, some people can get pretty defensive and it's good to know your stuff.