Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Small class size, easy to have one on one interaction with your teachers for meetings, extra help, etc.

Excellent. 101 classes don't always have senior staff but they always have well qualified professors.

small, personal classes...intelligent but not too competitive

Professors at Skidmore are very helpful and intimate.

Professors do know my name and most classes that are not introductory level range from 15 to 30 students. My favorite class has been Sociological Perspectives (Intro to Sociology) because the teacher was amazing and the material was interesting. My least favorite class has either been Fiction, Intro to Literary Studies, or Religion and Culture. In all three classes the professors were either incompetent, boring, or jerks. Class participation really depends on the professor, the professor's teaching style, and whether the class is discussion-based or lecture-based. Some Skidmore students have intellectual conversations outside of class but it depends on the topic. I don't see many pre-med students talking about neurons and chemistry outside of class. It is more likely the students in the social sciences and in the humanities with majors like Political Science, Philosophy, and History that debate things. Students can be competitive but not at all cutthroat. I believe it is stupid to judge people on grades when everyone takes different professors and classes. The most unique class I have taken has to have been my Computer Imaging I class where there is no syllabus, no guidelines, and no final. The Political Science/Government department at Skidmore has the most professors (about nine full time professors) out of any social science or humanities department. The department has a much-deserved great reputation. The Political Science/Government major is also fairly easy to fulfill and has relatively few requirements though they are strict requirements that must be taken in the department. I only wish the department offered more research assistant jobs to students. I have spent time with professors outside of class though most students do not. Skidmore's academic requirements are fairly easy to fulfill. I think the education at Skidmore is geared towards getting a job and learning for its own sake depending on the major. The natural sciences and Business departments are more geared towards finding future employment compared to other departments. My biggest problem with Skidmore academically is how frequently professors go on sabbatical. There is never a year when any department has its full faculty around. I was considering being a History major until I realized that two of the best professors in the department are going on sabbatical my entire junior year.

I love to participate in class. in fact, there is nothing i love more than to raise my hand and give my opinion on whatever matters we are discussing in class. I have found that that type of class dynamic has been widely accepted and practiced all over campus. Even in my larger classes (lecture-size) my professor are always answering my questions, which is increibly helpful. I would say that overall, Skidmore academics are average-above average. i am not really what you would categorize a "book smart" person, In fact a i get by with about a 3.6 GPA by the semester. I work pretty hard but I definitely make time for myself outside of school a priority. I would say that I can do well in my classes with an average amount of work that needs to be put into it. I have a pretty close relationship with both of my advisors. I have house-sat for them and driven their cars, and while it is a little awkward at first, my professors on the whole are some of my best friends at the college. I would say the education at SKidmore is given and geared towards getting a job, but at the same time i feel like the majority of my professors put pressure on me to do better and learn more so I can go on to graduate school and then get a good job. I definitely feel like graduate is the new "college" of the century.

Every professor knows my name, and I am always surprised by that. They remember me even after I've taken the course. Different professors have different teaching styles, but it is always a combination of lecture and discussion. Some lecture more, some let you talk more. It depends on the class and the level (intro vs 300-level for example). I have really loved most of my professors. Students are not openly competitive, and there is more of a focus on "you" growing as an individual--not seeing who got the highest mark on an exam. Grades are not the be-all-and-end-all for students, and that's great. People are incredibly smart and intellectual, but it's more of a well-rounded intelligence than a "study-all-the-time" and "get-the-best-grades" competitiveness. It is definitely learning for its own sake. Of course, we have to be practical and remember that getting a job is necessary at some point. But the focus is on making us better individuals and in a "creative way." The motto says "Creative Thought Matters" and Skidmore really upholds that. Students are celebrated for being unique and having strange combinations of interests. You are not cookie-cutter, and no one else around you is.

The academic life at Skidmore is very challenging, especially because many have coined us as an "up and coming" school (we're a "new ivy"). The professors and students take class seriously and all students are expected to excel, and the courses are mainly writing-intensive as opposed to exam oriented. The class sizes are small, probably falling in the range of 20-25 kids per class; therefore, professors will get to know you on a personal level which is definately a positive attribute of Skidmore and definately fosters a better learning environment. You are expected to attend classes (plus they'll notice if you're not there) and to do all your work. The classes, for me at least, have been really interesting overall and I've enjoying most of the courses I've taken. There are a bunch of requirements you have to take, but in my opinion its for the best, it allows you to dapple in each department and discipline before declaring a major. Plus, it makes you more well-rounded and it's what a liberal arts education is supposed to be.

the professors get to know you because of the small classes and its not unusual to get the same professor twice. most of them know what there doing. there's a broad range of classes to choose from. my favorite classes has been power and agiliy its a gym class, gym is not a requirement so don't worry if your unathletic, its a class i would recommend to anyone. the small numbers and common goals help you really feel like a team. this school has a broad range of liberal arts requirements so if your looking for a technical school this school is not for you. because of the liberal arts requirements students end up finding different things they like and most have double majors or multiple minors. the professors treat you like adults and equals. they don't baby you or annoy you to get work done, if you done want to do it thats your desicion. you can have intellectual conversations with some of the students. if you want to do well your going to have to study though. you can get by with barely passing grades if to don't study though.

I like pretty much all the professors at skidmore. they really want you to do well in their class and they are all really passionate about what they teach. my favorite class was exercise testing and prescription. it was hands on and soooo interesting and fun, and the professor was amazing. Everyone participates in class-because the classes are so small, you cant get away with not talking. My major is AMAZING. the exercise science department has so many knowledgeable teachers, and they have so much to offer. There are a ton of classes offered in my major that are really interesting that i cannot wait to take. I dont really hang out with my professors out of class, except for when we have the ex. sci party after each semester. I find all of my professors really approachable. I think skidmore's academic requirements are alright--except some classes that i really want to take (especially in the art department) get filled by seniors who are getting rid of their last requirements--i find that very annoying.