Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

I love the academic environment. The small classes allow students to understand what is going on in the classroom. The teachers get to know you (if you want) and if you have difficulties with a class, it is easy to go up to a teacher and set up meetings to see how to fix any problems a student might have in the clas or just to seek some help. Students are competitive, but on a friendly level. We are curious how our friends do, but no one is competing to do better that someone else. Skidmore's academic requirements are fair. I have no art skills, but managed to get that requirement out of the way and still managed a good grade in the class (unlike my brother who goes to a different school). The education at Skidmore is geared toward what ythe student wants. If a student's goal is to get a job, then he/she can set up his major that will be favorable to the job market, while on the other hand, stydents can set up their major to learn for its own sake without worrying about the job market

All professors know you're name, even if you are in a huge lecture hall if you approach professors they will learn your name. Students study a lot here, they have to. class participation is very common, a lot of classes are discussion based. There isn't a lot of competition between groups most everyone is working to do their best. The psychology program at Skidmore is very strong. The professors are very knowledgeable and willing to help if you have any questions. It is a relatively easy major (there aren't a ton of requirements) but that makes it easy to minor in other things, or double major, which is very common in the department. Students spend time with professors outside of class all the time, if one of my professors doors is open as i'm walking by I almost always stop for a quick conversation. Skidmore is a great place academically. I feel challenged and as though I'm learning a ton but also will definitely get into the grad school of my choice, or a job which is rewarding.

The education at Skidmore is absolutely geared toward learning for its own sake. While everyone must declare a major, the essence of the liberal arts program is to give students the opportunity to explore a variety of different topics so they acquire vast amounts of knowledge, regardless of whether they pursue all of the fields they study. Most classes at Skidmore are about 17 students... so yes, professors know your name and class participation is required. I find that students study when necessary but it is not the sort of campus that has people in the library 24/7 .. or even more than they need to be there. The kids are not competitive and even if they are, their motivation is geared toward personal sucess - not cheating someone else in order to get in the lead. There are a lot of requirements at Skidmore, but that is really what a liberal arts education is all about. Once again, Skidmore is trying to stress the importance of global knowledge - not career based.

Professors usually remember my name because most classes are small and all students participate on a regular basis. I do not talk to professors outside of class unless I have a specific question and concern, but they are very open to talking with their students outside of class time and all professors have specific office hours for this purpose. Intellectual converations outside of class seem to be common because students are taking classes that they are genuinely intererested in. The psychology major has a reputation of being one of the easier majors because it has less requirements, but students are always encouraged to take numerous classes beyond the requirements anyways. I completely switched my academic track after my frehsman year, and I felt somewhat behind because the classes I had taken did not count towards any future requirements for my major. I would have planned better if I had realized how carefully you have to plan your courses starting freshman year.

What sold me on Skidmore was my visit. The kid who showed me around told me that Skidmore was the type of place where your professors wanted to see you grow, and it's so true. All my classes have been less than 30 people, and once you get in to the 300 levels for literature there are usually about 15-17 students, which makes for a really great time. Grades are important, but to the individual--it is not a competitive place academically and that is one thine I particularly love: coincidentally almost all my friends are English majors and we often discuss the classes we are in (together or not) or the works we are reading but these conversations are important because we are actually listening to one another, not trying to prove something. Skidmore feels safe--which when you leave the "bubble" can be hard to swallow: not every administrator or teacher you encounter is going to care about you the way the Skidmore community does.

Perhaps the most worthwhile thing at Skidmore. Class work usually ranges from two to six hours a night, depending on what type of classes and extracurriculars you're facing. Class sizes are very small (my largest class was 30, and that felt big), and many professors exercise an attendance policy. My most stringent policy was loss of credit if I missed more than two classes. A lot of professors also require class participation, so you can't come to class asleep or hungover- you'll probably fail. The English department is one of the most solid departments in the school. There many accomplished writers who consistently publish in popular journals, newspapers, and genres. Professors are extremely accessible. This is definitely a reason to come to Skidmore. I recently was invited over to dinner at my professors house with a group of my friends- we ended up talking for hours.

Skidmore academics are hard and competitive, but they aren't cut-throat - no one is going to be battling to get the few As that the teacher gives out because if you deserve an A, you'll get one. The classes are small and very personal (my English class only have 6 people in it!) and you really get to know the professors. The professors are great and very helpful - if you are the kind of person who can take the steps to start something, the professors will do everything they can do help you out. I love the class variety at Skidmore. Not only are there many more choices than you could ever pick, a lot of the classes blend two or more subjects together (like history and religion, or biology and neuroscience). I've taken classes on comic books, personal essays, history of a particular region and more, and that was only in my first year of school.

I came here to pursue Engineering, but quickly found an interest in the science of the human body, "Health & Exercise Sciences," and discovered the unique Management and Business program that is geared to prepare you to present and learn any particular discipline in which you would like to concentrate your studies. Most students out of the Exercise Sciences major end up going to grad school for the likes of PA, NP, PT, or medical school. The "Pre-Med" program here is second to none, and I have many friends in the major who took the five extra classes required to pursue this path. Most students out of the Business major end up either working in whatever city they prefer (usually NYC or Boston), and our alumni and parents of students are more than willing to help with the process. Many of these students pursue graduate studies.

all my professors know my name. they might not know much about my as a person, but they definetly would recognize me outside of class and say hi to me. most classes there is a lot of class participation. its more unusual to have a boring quiet class where no one talks. i would say people definetley have intelligent convos outside of class. even though i am a religion major, i hate the religion department here. they offer the 4 same boring classes every semester and none of them really sound that interesting to me. the core requirement classes really arent that bad. theyre just basic classes that arent that hard or annoying to take. its actually kinda cool having an art requirement cuz most schools dont have that. im really glad i had the oppurtunity to take a college art class (all my friends from home also think its really cool)

Classes at Skidmore add to the unique college experience. They are small with very caring professors. Students study a lot out of the class room, there is no such thing as an 'easy' major here. Class discussions are assumed to occur in every class. I am an exercise science major and love the fully equipped labs and all of the hands on experience that I am getting as an undergraduate. Professor really do want you to come to their office hours and almost never kick you out. Skidmore's all college requirements are comprehensive and challenging but not hard to fulfill. It makes everyone appreciate each other's field of interest and have some general knowledge on the subject. The education is geared towards later employment, but only with things you love. Career Services is very helpful and very good at helping with this.