Saratoga Springs, NY

Skidmore College

« See more reviews of Skidmore College

Skidmore is a difficult place to describe in one box. I think the best thing about it is how much people love it there; "Skiddies" are proud to study there. There is a deep sense of community at Skidmore- you can't walk through the green without stopping to talk to someone. It is a bit small- after three years, 2,500 kids seems a bit confining. Yet, there is something to be said about such a closeknit community. There have been times where the entire community has banded together and supported each other. Students are passionate about their schoolwork, their activities, and their hobbies. Saratoga Springs is one of the highlights of Skidmore. The town is small but lively, and with a great nightlife, it is a perfect college town. Sometimes, there are feelings of animosity between the townies and the students, but it never seems to be a problem. There are plenty of sights to see there as well: Congress Park, Saratoga Performing Arts Center, the battlefield, the orchards, Yaddo, Cafe Lena- it's an amazing place. A word of advice: There isn't much school spirit athletics-wise. Like I mentioned before, most kids are of the artsy-type and though there are many athletes on campus, typically the only ones that go to games or matches are those that have a vested interest in them. Skidmore has an AMAZING music/social scene on campus, as well. There is a lot to do on weekends- there are parties in apartments or off-campus, concerts in the Spa, Falstaff's or Filene, or dance parties sponsored by different clubs. Honestly, there is a lot of alchohol use (and sometimes other substances), yet I have NEVER EVER felt any pressure to take part. I think this is a very important thing to know about Skidmore- you are encouraged to be YOU and do what is right for YOU.

Skidmore is the perfect school for a creative individual who is willing to challenge his or her self academically. I came to Skidmore from a high school known for it's athletics. Being a theater major, I expected the transition to be wierd, but I did not expect it to take so long. I feel that the Skidmore culture is changing with each new class. In the past, people accepted that they were at Skidmore and not an Ivy League college and went about their four years focusing on their grades and trying to compete for top level graduate programs, not really taking an interest in developing the Skidmore community. Today's classes are creating programs, groups, majors etc. to challenge themselves and rival the education and communities found at the nation's top schools. Skidmore is still defining itself as a College each year that passes. This creates a fun, liberating environment to work in, where you are free to explore yourself and connect with others in creative ways.

Skidmore is wonderful! It caters to a wide variety of student interests—both academically and extracurricularly—is centrally located, is in the heart of a beautiful Upstate New York town, and has provided me with a top-notch education. Its perfect size, 2,400 students, means that I'm always meeting new people and still surrounded by so many familiar faces. The campus itself is beautiful in every season, and was built to facilitate even harsh winters. Its location—in quaint Saratoga Springs, just 3 hours from Boston, Montreal, and New York City, and 20 minutes from the Adirondacks—makes me feel like I'm not so isolated, which college can sometimes feel. The sheer range of classes offered and the flexibility in courses and research and employment opportunities keeps every student busy. I love that the education I'm receiving here is very customizable.

Skidmore overall is a great institution. IF you want a relationship with the professors and feel more familiar with the student body, the campus is for you. If you strive for more excitement and spontaneous lifestyle then sleepy saratoga shall not suffice-needless to say for up-state ny saratoga is kick ass and worth the trek (cafe lena-where bob dylan got his start to name one example). it's fucking expensive so unless you're a trust funder or able to get a scholarship, you're parents may resent the steep 50G tuition (and its getting higher). Skidmore will make you a better person. You may be in a saratoga bubble but at skidmore you are constantly challenged and expected by your peers to actively partake in environmental awareness programs, debates, and overall a higher consciousness in this mind-numbing era.

Skidmore is exactly what anyone would expect from a small school in the woods of upstate New York. Anyone could also expect the opposite. To say that the college is what you, or anyone expects is a bit pretentious. Instead, Skidmore is wholly dedicated to its slogans "Creative thought matters" and "give more, respect more, skidmore." Once the kitschiness of the phrases has worn off, a real dedication to those tenets is what seems to drive the administration. While the whole campus is not compelled to ride with the administration, a large enough portion of the students are sufficiently dedicated to making the world better that a generally selfless feeling permeates the campus. case in point. stand by a door. someone will open it for you with a smile.

Academics are good for the most part. People are obnoxious and the school sucks overall. Scribner Village -- the place where all the parties are -- is lame. All the parties suck. The events are stupid. Saratoga Springs is alright, but it's small and one can only do so much there. Restaurants, bars with lame white trash townies, horse-racing and shopping. Signing up for classes and other issues that require individual attention are some of Skidmore's greatest strengths. Professors are always available for individual help. Not a lot of school pride. A recent controversy was John Ashcroft's speech at Skidmore. The Young Republicans Club invited him to campus, so, of course, all the liberal hippies made a big fuss and behaved rudely when he spoke.

The school size is small, which allows for a very close population and you will never go anywhere without seeing someone you know. However, this makes it impossible to avoid people and does not push students to meet as many new people as a larger college would. The town of Saratoga Springs is fun and welcoming to the college students! But if you are looking to party, the off campus scene is really only for 21+. I will always remember the Skidmore tradition of Fun Day, which takes place during the last week of classes. The school sets up giant bounce houses on the green and everyone comes out to play and listen to the college bands. Fun Day is also the day of the Naked Run, which is exactly as entertaining as the name makes it out to be!

I love the size of Skidmore. I can reconginze people I meet and it's easy to interact with those you don't. Everyone is SO polite. We all hold doors for one another everyone says please and thank you. When I tell people I go to Skidmore they generally give me a confused look and I have to explain where it is. I have been met with really positive reactions from some people, though. Skid is a really open school and always inviting students to make change if they have a problem with something. They are acommodating to everyone no matter what gender, race, or sexuality. I have heard people complain about the lack of diversity and some wish that there were more activists in the student body.

Its a small school in a great college town. Not having Frats makes it more of a community. Its well respected and well known to people growing up in the North-east but to those from the south, midwest, or pacific coast its hit or miss as to weather of not they have even heard of Skidmore College. The administration is great for the most part. There are some really foolish rules regarding recieving credit from other institutions. I was accepted to the London School of Economics but could not attend the summer sessions because Skidmore would not allow me to transfer the credits even though LSE is the most respected economic institution in the world.

I'm a huge fan of Skidmore-- it's a perfect size for me (about 2400 students), and I absolutely love Saratoga Springs. The town is pretty nice to the students, if a bit expensive sometimes. The only thing I don't like is that there isn't a lot of school spirit (athletics aren't a big priority), and a lot of people are rather apathetic about what goes on around campus. For me, the Skidmore name is respected in my chosen field (theater), which was a reason I chose to attend. Music is HUGE here... when the weather is nice, people are always out on the green playing and chilling out. It's absolutely awesome.