South Texas College

« See more reviews of South Texas College

Dear Debra, You will soon come to the end of your high-school journey and begin a new adventure of college life which you will have more choices. Here are some nuggetts for you to enjoy your freedom: Be smart with your money. Don't get into debt by getting a new car. Enjoy the lack of responsibility that you have and put all your focus on school. Live like a student while in college so you don't have to live like like a student when you graduate. Get a job that works around your schedule and not the other way around. Prioritize school and never take a break even if you are at least taking one class but keep up the momentum. Have clear written goals for each semester. Begin with the end in mind and do research on the career which involves you interviewing about 3 professionals within that carreer so that you are confident in the major that you are doing and it will keep you motivated in school. So, open up your minds to learn all that you have potential to learn from these educated instructors who are there to walk alongside your journey! Thanks!

Many things can be learned in an hour, a minute and even a second. Many seconds, hours and days have passed since my senior year in high school and along with that many lessons and experiences have molded me and broken me down only to build me up again wiser and stronger. Given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior i would give myself nothing but brutal honesty. I would tell myself to get serious with the work that is about to be given to me, work that if studied and understood thouroughly, could be put to good use. I would save myself from the anxieties and stress that debilitate mind and body that come with constant procrastination. I would advise myself to put the money recieved from financial aid to better use. I would let myself know that it is not that bad, college life. I would recount the stories of interesting open minded teachers and individuals that would be crossing my path, of the intellectual freedom that was to come and how an individuals creativity would be nurtured instead of suppressed as it very often was in high school.

I woulld tell myself to fill out as many scholarships as possible. Search the web search everywhere, and when you think you filled out enough apllications, keep filling out more because you did not fill out enough. Become more self relying, work ahead on school work, do not wait untill the day before or teh night before to study, it does not work you will fail. Be ready for the real world, you are on your own you now need to buy groceries, get a job keep your aprtment clean and neat, on top of all your school work, and having time for family and friends. I would also tell myself that what happens in high school with friends and flings does not matter. You will find new friends and eventually you will begin your own family sooner than you can imagine becuase your life goes by so fast, do not blink because you will miss it. Be there for your friemds and family because you never know when you will need somebody to be there for you. Lastly, be yourself, and stand up for yourself do not put yourself in a position you do not want to be in.

If I could go back in time knowing what I know now, I would tell myself three things. First, pick a major that you enjoy and have a passion for. Don't feel the pressure to conform to friends or by society standards. I felt the pressure to conform to my cultural expectations and got into a field that I didn't enjoy. I felt nervous and never felt that I was in my element. It took me years to figure out what I enjoy and what I am good at because my passion and talent was kept hidden from me out of fear and trying to transform into something I knew I could not be. It's always almost more difficult to make the switch later rather than earlier. Second, get involved, connect and socialize. Networking is critical to future success. A part of that is making long term friendships but it's also about broadening your experience through others. And lastly, try to use what you've learned. It's never too early to start . That means getting an internship in your chosen field. Education is essential, but education with experience is priceless.

Michelle you as a high school senior as all you wanted as a teen mom. Remeber that you and only you can make your life succesfull by getting a degree as a registed nurse. Don't let people affect your life by saying that you are not going to be anyone in life because you as a kid have a kid. Continue doing what you are doing which is going to high school because that plays a great factor in graduating, your GPA, and student ranking, and most importantly get rid of friends and family members that are bad influence. Make a list of colleges that you would like to attend. Make sure that you apply for the colleges you are intersted in, and since tuition, and cost to attend in college is a factor then apply for FAFSA. Take advantage of the opprtunity you have a apply for scholarships, grants, and whatever you can thing of that can help you pay for your college. Best of all continue your dream which is to become a registered nurse to help others health and be a role model to your kid, and prove those who didn't belive in you wrong.

So you're a few months away from being a free person, parties, credit cards, and no more curfews. Yay! All of that sounds fine and dandy, but i am now twenty years old and i'm anxious to graduate from college with a degree in Nursing. I'm so excited, but i'm still a little ways off of my degree. If only i hadn't procrastinated and experimented with the so called, " college life", I could be that much closer to my dream! Ugh! Please, learn from my experience, don't get ahead of yourself! He who laughs last, laughs better! And that's true. While your friends are out partying, don't be afraid to spend Saturday night studying for Monday's exam (trust me the parties aren't worth the failing grade). Another thing, learn to save your pennies. The real world is not easy, and it's certainly not cheap; so try and be wise with the little you have, the big bucks come after college. You can do it! Trust me i've gotten this far. Although it might seem hard and time consuming, but time flies. Remember one thing, Never Ever Give Up!

If I had a chance to go back in time to tell me what to prepare for, I wouldnt know where to start. There is so much to college life, and life in general, that you aren't yet prepared for in high school. First i would tell my self that college is wounderful and great learning experience. You learn how to enteract with diffrent ethnics, and experience life on your own again. Just like Job Corp your going to be scared at first but you learn what to do and who to hang around to make it through to succed. Money is still a problem but that is nothing new to you. Dont trust mom, you couldnt trust her then so dont think you can trust her now. You are still struggling but your happy, finally. Find more grants, scholarships, & private loans to look into so you aren't stressing it later on during the semster. Your doing well keep it up honey, im trying to make our future better inthe future just sit back stop stressing so much. Enjoy the friends around you and the books in front of you.

I would go back in time to tell myself to take high school more seriously. I would tell myself to take more college courses in high school so by the time he is in college he would get done quicker. I would tell myself to stay focused in class so by the time he attends college for the first time he is educated. I would tell myself to do better in class so that I wouldn't worry about college. I would tell myself my college experiences and all the joy I have recieved by attending college. I would constantly bug him and tell him not to become an underacheiver and strive for better so that others can emulate. I would tell myself that everything is going fine in the future and give him a big hug for being a good student, son, brother, etc. With that being said I feel if I could go back in the past I would make a severe impact for my future. Education is very important and school is what will make your goals come true I would myself from the past before I headed back to the future.

I would tell myself to not sell myself short, that I am a smart person, I am capable of following my dreams, college is rough, I would make sure that I saved money to be able to attend. I would tell myself to wait until I have graduated before having children, would also advise myself that South Texas College is cheaper to attend and all my pre-requisites can be met there. To never let my GPA falter and to finish what I have started and never give up. Life is too short to waste on "what I could/should be doing now" "I wish I had known what I know now". A family is great I would never give them up now but if I had a choice back then and the self-confidence to purse the dream I wanted I would tell myself to finish school be a mom and a wife second. Things are hard enough with this economy and if you don't have a job that you love and the education to back it up motherhood isn't as fulfilling as it could and will be once you graduate.

I'd have a seat with myself and say, "Derek, once you enter college things aren't going to be the same. You're going to motivate yourself to do the work because no one else will. The professors aren't going to be pushing you to do your work like your teachers are doing now in high school. The professors don't really care if you do your work or not. They're getting paid either way. It's up to you to get the work done. You also have to be very self-disciplined and you have to learn how to manage your time wisely. You know what they say, 'work now, party later'. One last thing I'd like to tell you is to get to class on time. Professors don't like for students to come in late because it disrupts the class. So be there on time. It'll show that you are responsible and ready to learn. Remember what I've told and practice those things once you get to college. Take care Derek." That's what I would tell myself if I were to go back in time.