Baton Rouge, LA
Southern University and A & M College

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Southern University and A & M College

Meagan

Diverse, Fun-Loving, Focused and Destined for Success!

Diverse, Fun-Loving, Focused and Destined for Success!

TIME MANAGEMENT!!!! You MUST start maximizing this skill set early in your college career. It is imperative in order to insure that all priorities are met and your grades don't suffer! You can do it!

The Financial Aid situation! The lines are long and I don't feel that I receive individualized attention once I am able to speak with a representative.

Marlon

My school is full of love, and the students try to work hard in their studies. It is a nice size campus and I enjoy coming here.

The advice that I would give to myself is to study hard and continue to strive to graduate on time. Yes I know you will enjoy the parties and the games, but you will either stay in school too long or you will drop out. It is important that you study early, that way you will graduate early, and you can pursue your career. College may be fun, but it is also hard work.

The interacting between students and faculty, because it is important that we understand them; that way we can do well in school. Also attending the different sporting events because it brings everyone closer together and it gives the students something to do while classes are no longer in session.

Krystal

Southern University is best known for its larg enthusiastic fan base and never ending supporters which include: alumni, sucessful celebrity graduates, famous marching band and the renown Law Center.

Southern University is a school that holds a lot of tradition that is still within the student body. The school is well known for the auxillary activities such as the Human Jubox Marching Band, famous dancing dolls and cheerleaders. Our school also has a reputable Law School that stands shoulders above the rest. Southern University is located in Baton Rouge, La which is a unique place its self. The school has adopted the unique characteristics of the city.

Krystal, Understand that collge may not be what you expect at all, but be very optimistic. Realize that you are the only one that has your best interest at heart. You will learn alot and you may also learn that you know way more than that of your peers. A social life will not mean that much once you see what you have to choose from. Keep God first always and your family close.

Myeisha

My school is the only Historically Black Univeristy System. We have a campus not only in Baton Rouge, but also in New Orleans and Shreveport. I feel this gives students a unique African-American experience that other HBCUs can't offer. We are deeply rooted in our Black History, and it shows from not only the teachers, but the students. There are classes designed specifically to teach you about being an African-American in America that aren't offered at other universites. It's an excellent place for students of any ethnicity to learn about African-American culture.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior, there would be several things I would say. First of all, I would tell myself that COLLEGE IS NOT HIGH SCHOOL! When I first got to college, I had the same nonchalant attitude I had in high school, that everything just came naturally and was so easy. After starting classes in college, I realized things were much different. I couldn't just attend class and have the material like in high school. I actually had to go back to my dorm and study, something I didn't have much experience with. Needless to say, my apathetic attitude had to quickly change if I wanted to keep my scholarship. Maintaining a 3.3 GPA in college is much harder than it sounds. If I would've known this as a senior, I probably would have come into college with my game face on. Secondly, I would tell myself to take more Dual Enrollment classes. This semester I'll be taking 19 hours because I need classes I could have easily taken in high school. All in all, I would tell myself to be more prepared.

The best thing about my school is it's so open. I'm able to be who I am and still make friends. As goofy and nerdy and awkward as I am, I still managed to become Freshman Class President. There's a group of friends for everyone, so no one is an outcast. There's all different types of people that attend this school, and I try to befriend them all. It's just a down-home family environment filled with southern hospitality that I believe most people would enjoy.

amber

When getting help from a classmate you may catch on more quickly than if your professor taught you because you can relate to the classmate more than your professor. Classmates will sometime help you more than your professor. My classmates are great, we particpate in many group activities when its not assigned and we keep each other updated on homework and assignments.

After having 1 1/2 years of experience of college life I would have told myself to choose a major that I can enjoy for the rest of my life instead of picking a major because of the salary and benefits. I would have paid more attention in classes and my ACT would have been flying through the roof. I would have applied for numerous scholarships and grants because college cost even more when you're an out-of-state student. My financial aid would have been completed within a few weeks and my personal college funds would have lasted for atleast 3 semesters. Im glad I had to go through these issues because I wouldnt have as much knowledge that I have today and if I wouldnt have made mistakes I would know what was right from wrong about the college life.

I wish I would have known more about financial aid and loans before my college experience. I believe that if i would have known about how much college cost (out of state) even with financial aid, I would have been more responsible with my money in high school. I would have also paid more attention in my classes instead of rushing through everything to recieve a grade.

Mi'Osha

Dear self, As I see you progress through your high school years I've noticed that it's almost time for you to make that big transition. I'm writting to give you a little advice! Take your work seriously and pay attention in all of your classes. Even though you may think they dont benefit you your grade point average plays a major role in the next stage of your life. It determines what colleges you may be accepted into and many scholarships are based on your knowledge. Take this time of your life to mature, because once your in college your all on your own. Mommy and daddy wont be around to do everything for you. Learn how to handle business and stand up for yourself. It's like you are entering an entire different world! Therefor before you make this big transition focus on your school work and becoming a mature adult, because there is no room in this new world for lacking and childishness. Get your head on straight kid I'm sure you can do it. Good luck!

The organizaton would be considered the worst thing. The office of admissions always seem to loose or mis-place paper work.

Any student who is seeking a great education should attend this college. A person who desires or likes one on one attention or small classes should enroll!

Krystal

I would tell myself to look at more schools and think about going to other schools instead of just settling for Southern alone. Think about schools with a diversity of people and an environment where you will feel comfortable in.

To be honest there isn't anything good about this school. The food is bad (there is nothing healthy to eat), the dorm ladies are disrepesctful and have no respect for no one, the rooms are either hot or cold or unbearable, finanicial aid is ridiculous and extrememly slow, the people are stuck up and not friendly at all, the professors (most) only care about getting their check and not helping the students, the school is just a bad choice!!!!

People that shouldn't attend this school would be very smart and intelligent students who actually want to get and education worth something, want to be around a diversity of people, and people who want to make something out of their life.

Candice

I think I made the transition very well. I knew coming in I had to stay focus and work hard and thats exactly what I have been doing. One think I would tell myself is to trust no one. You are your only friend in this world. In order to succeed you need gracy and mercy from God and prayers.

There is nothing I wished before I came to this school because I had done my research prior to coming.

I consider financial aid the worst part about my school just because they give you the run around and its hard for me to qualify for anything.

Jonathan

Jonathan, there are aloth of things to look foward to when going to college. the freedom you will have will be like somthing you'v never had before. But you need to learn how to settle down and study. College is not all about parties but remember, always have a little fun. College is going to be like nothing you have every expected. But remember your there for a reason, and that is to get an education and aslong as you remember that, you'll be fine.

how hard it would be to be so far away from home.

the walk to classes is far, so get used to waiting on the bus.

Richard

If I could go back in time to talk to myself during my high school years I would tell myself that college is'nt as hard as people say it is and I would tell myself to learn everything now while in high school because you will need it in the future. I would also tell myself to be aware of the whole financial aid process.

Before I came to Southern University I wish I would have known to sign-up for work study early during the summer.

When I brag to my friends about my school I always tell them how nice the campus is.

Southern University and A & M College administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.