Southern University and A & M College Campus Life Reviews

Overall Review for Southern University and A & M College

Adriana

Southern University is a good school overall. I am with the Agriculture Department and their academics are amazing. All me teachers are accessible, the curriculum is easy to understand, and the classes are small and personal. Besides the academics, there is nothing to do on campus. Unless you have a groups of friends and you make your own fun, there are not many activities going on. After Freshman- first semester all the fun ends and it never comes back. If you aren't into partying where there is alcohol, you'll mostly stay in your room until, sophomore when you can have a car and drive off campus. There are places to go in Baton Rouge that are fun, but it is no where near the campus. The Housing situation is extremely overpriced for what you actually get. If possible you might be better off getting an apartment somewhere and commuting everyday. The internet connection is almost nonexistent at times, One semester we went without cable and I still had to pay for it. Maintenance will almost never come if you live in the apartments on campus, and they are next to a dairy farm, so the smell outside might get to you. As a whole, Southern for their academics is great. If you can live somewhere else and still take the classes, you will have a great time.

Jaci

A great place to learn. Professors are dedicated to your success, but you have to do your part by studying and participating in class. The campus has its own police force and they have an app so that you can reach them at any time and they can pinpoint your location if you are in trouble. Food is typical Louisiana cuisine but it really good.

Deone

Southern University is a great place for those who's seeking a fully diverse university, while also living and enjoying the campus life. Southern has a great variety of majors to choose from including engineering, law and nursing programs. It is known to be one of the largest HBCU schools in the US with campuses in New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Shreveport.

Deone

Valesha

My overall expenses of Southern University could be summarize into one word, amazing! I've been here 4 semesters and I love the campus itself. The atmosphere is friendly. The people here and family oriented, including student and staff. Southern has made me feel at home since the first day here. I love it.

Shy'Aelha

I have been going through hundreds of colleges for weeks now. This is the college that fit all of my criteria and I am loving everything I am hearing so far. Nothing majorly bad has shown up, and if it did, it was a one person issue.Campus safety not only protects the students, faculty and staff, but your property as well. No matter what time of day, there are officers walking as well as patrolling the area to ensure our safety.

Isaiah

I am a freshman, enrolled in electrical engineering and on the basketball team. The professors and counselors are very helpful when it comes to scheduling and working around my schedule for me to attend my basketball games, and still perform my class work on time. The electrical engineering department is one of the top in the nation that is one of the reasons I chose Southern University. But not only am I able to prepare for my career but play basketball which is one of my long time dreams. I would definitely recommend Southern University to young adults looking to attend a college.

Jada

It is an amazing school. Visiting the campus gave me a million more reasons to go there! The students are friendly, location is great, and there are plenty of things to do on weekends and even during the week. I enjoyed the visit so much more than I expected.

brittney

Southern University is a good school to attend. I have only been there once for orientation. I start next week. I feel just from the atmosphere I am going to enjoy the experience. I feel I will like the campus life. I'm hoping that my classroom experience will be good also.

Kaitlin

Southern has its pros and cons like every other university. There are plenty of opportunities to get involved and plenty of events that happen on campus. The band is EVERYTHING. We also have a great gym with great equipment. The food can be inconsistent but its not completely terrible. Having a Burger King, Chick-fil-A, and our mini markets on campus helps a lot too. Administration can be a bit of a headache but as long as you have all of your ducks in a row way ahead of time you should be fine. Upper class-men are willing to help so don't be afraid to ask questions or seek a mentor. The culture and the people are what really makes Southern unique. Southern is a good school but its really what you make it.

Jayvian

I think Southern University is a very amazing school.

N'Ziya

At Southern everybody is somebody. It's been my dream school since middle school. Now that my time to go to school is so close, I could not be more happier. I'm very artistic and friendly so the extracurricular activities could not have been any better. I could see myself furthering my education here.

Diavian

I love southern university and cant wait to come next fall. They have a good stuff that I cant wait to interact with. Their dance to amazing dance team which I would love to be apart of. Also their nursing is the best !! I am extremely excited to start my freshman fall 18.

Makaylah

Southern A&M is an family orientated university; there's help all over the campus from peers, alumnus and also professors. You will find a group of friends tat you will call your long life best friend. Southern A&M also has the best marching band in the SWAC division they're called the Human Jukebox, they have that name for a reason. Stepping foot on the yard will give you the best experience at Southern.

Jaci

Southern University is a great school, but like many it has, it's pros and cons. Our campus has very poor lighting, so at night it is a risky walk to take alone. Southern University's Administration is strong and helpful administration. However, they could be a more understanding Administration. Overall, Southern holds high standing academically and within it's community. Our school needs a better staff overall and to listen to their students more.

Jada

The school is excellent. You can find a lot of help and connections on the campus. Everyone makes you feel welcomed and makes you feel at home. The people are friendly. The overall experience is just amazing!

kenyatta

My overall opinion is that its a great cultural and great academic college with little but a few disadvantages . I am blesse to be able to attend a college with this much culture behind it . There are disadvantages but no bad disadvantages and very few

Meiakco

Southern University and A & M is a very humble, loving and powerful school! Brotherhood and sisterhood is very educational, active, affectionate and passionate. The best HBCU!

Jasmyn

Southern University is rich in culture and pride. Here is the perfect place to transition from childhood to adulthood and into the world of business and professionalism. The teachers and staff make the environment home-y and comfortable for those who have left their support systems at home.

Aniyah

I love Southern University and A&M College. I've recently completed my freshmen year and had a great experience. The staff and professors really care about student success and go above and beyond to ensure students have the necessary support. As a student-athlete, there are even more supports in place to help guarantee academic success. I would highly recommend Southern University and A&M College for anyone wanting an HBCU experience.

Jaala

Southern University A & M college is a good school, for multiple reasons. The academics and the band are two of the main reasons I enrolled. I'm looking forward to receiving education from the professors at southern. I'm an out of state student, and I was worried about fitting in but the atmosphere at southern is so welcoming, it didn't take long for it to feel like home.

Chalyn

Southern University an A & M College, is the place to be. Whether it's academics, or the party scene, my HBCU is always in the spotlight. Southern University is known for the world renowned Human Jukebox and the Fabulous Dancing Dolls. No matter what the Also,our school has the Top Nursing Program in the state along with the Engineering and Business Programs falling in not to far behind.

Bethany

My overall opinion is that Southern University and A & M College is that the college is okay and the people here make you feel like home. Some colleges would probably still make you feel like a child, but here everyone will treat you like an adult that you truly are.

Jasmine

I feel like the faculty/staff could be better. Also, it could be better academically.

Takiyah

My opioid of Souther University is that this college is very helpful. My college allows students to network on campus as well as advertise and expand their brands. Nonetheless, I would highly recommend any and everyone to come to Southern University not only to receive a HBCU experience but to fulfill your educational plan as well.

Tanae

"I hate it here, I wanna go home" It is not really bad, but I dislike being on campus. Most of my classes are easy. The dorms are horrible. We are being treated like prisoners. We have visitation hours to where our parents can not even come to our rooms. I rather stay on LSU side and transport here everyday for class, or live in nearby apartments.

Katelyn

Overall, Southern University is one of the most energetic HBCU’s I’ve explored. Everyone is very intelligent and helpful around the campus. Administrators are very welcoming and informal to incoming freshman and make sure that we’re ready for our first year. A lot of the students are very involved in sports, clubs, and many other campus activities to enjoy their college life. I’m very proud to finally be a Jag!

Henry

Southern University is a great school with much to offer. The student life is quite exciting when there are things taking place on campus. Faculty/ Staff are extremely helpful when it comes to helping advise and teach students. The one negative thing I can say about Southern University is that some of the facilities are in poor condition. If that can be corrected, Southern could be a school second to none.

Makenzie

Southern is truly a great school, I love it so far. It is really exciting when there are things going on, but the faculty and staff are a big help to the students on campus. Everyone here has nice hospitality which makes interacting with everybody easy and that's one thing was concerned about. The environment makes you feel as if you are home and not an outsider. Overall so far, it has been a good experience for me, I would recommend students to attend Southern University.

Ka'Meka

My overall opinion of Southern University and A & M College is that the school offer a safe and home-like environment. People treat each with ample amount of respect and privacy.

AntZavier

Excellent University for higher learning. You can go wrong attending Southern University A&M. Top in it field . I recommend it to everyone who serious about their education. If you want one of the top HBCU or any great colleges it will be Southern University A&M.

Kobie

Great school to start your foundation, find great life long friends, and build something that will carry you through the rest of your life. This school has a strong family atmosphere with people willing to do anything inorder to make sure you are have the best time.

Arlisha

It’s very good University , especially if your willing and open to discover new things. Education is a very important factor there. They have numerous of opportunities for you to get any kind of help. Southern University is a great place for anyone to start their journey.

Jada

I think Southern is an overall OK school. I would recommend anyone to attend Southern University especially if they are looking for a career in Law or Nursing. They have a really good reputation for those two careers and I fully support the Law Program which I will be entering as soon as I am finish with earning my Bachelors degree in Political Science.

Atiya

I love the family demeanor everyone gives off a very welcoming personality and it makes you just enjoy your experience at an HBCU College. When you first step foot on the campus you immediately feel the adrenaline of adulthood coursing through your veins. The entire college experience is truly amazing and exciting all at the same time I would invite any student to apply for Southern University.

Alexandrea

I love it and cannot wait to be a student in fall 2018. I am ready to tryout and make the dancing dolls. I'm ready to live the college life and get ready for my next chapter in life to becoming a nurse. I met some amazing people when I was visiting and am ready to be apart of it.

Diamond

It is one of the best HBCU colleges , the campus is very active, there’s enough organizations for the entire campus to join , it always you to express yourself and be who you really are without others judging you , the teachers and staffs are very supportive and understanding

Juwan

My school overall is a good place to go. You honestly have to talk to people if you want friends. You can' t be afraid to talk to people when you're there. You have to really stay on your work and pay attention in class. You also have to go to class so you won't miss any assignments. Make sure you have a good relationship with your teachers.

Shonna

The professors and students want to be here; the school as a whole feels like one big community supporting each other to the fullest. I am glad I choice this HBCU to further my education because I am constantly pushed each day to strive for the best.

Madison

I love my school but just like any school they have their pros and cons. Some pros would be the diversity and opportunists. While it is a HBCU you still meet people from all over the country. And there is always something to do on campus. ALWAYS. Some cons would be the financial aid office. It is sometimes difficult to get things done on time. Another con is their phone-answering. You'll be calling all day to reach on person. But they make up for that via their email system. They do respond in a decent manner when you email them.

Christian

Love Southern University, from the band to baseball season it’s a big time for me. By going to a school with good criminal justice program really make me feel more accomplished in life because I know I will do something in life. Never will switch up on my school.

Shamaya

Many may not agree opinion Southern University way of living, as well as lifestyle and culture. In my opinion its a great and save environment to broaden your horizon and get the education, as well as degree of your dreams. Many intellectual conversations take place inside the classroom, but on Southern campus they also take place outside the classroom doors.With the great hospitality, safety, and resources there’s no way to say no to Southern University.

jasmine

Southern University has to be one of the best decisions of my life. They not only get you ready academically but prepare you for your career after school. The professors and advisors are always accessible and try their best to get every student to graduate on time with a great grade point average.

Julia

I have no major problems with my school. I love my school. which is one of the main reasons why I chose to attend here. But the rising tuition costs for a student like me who has no more funds to pay for school is becoming a hassle. The staff isn't always readily available, you almost have to harass them just to get resolutions. Constantly raising costs isn't helping when there are no real solutions to help the ones who can't afford it.

Kerdejah

They say no bunking is allowed. But my roommate been having her friend living in our dorm room that is only suppose to be occupied by her and I. The room is very small as it is. We don't have room for a third body. I have reported it to the director of housing and the school chancellor and nothing have been done about it. The name of the dorm is Camille Shade hall. This dorm needs to be investigated immediately.

Kaverious

Southern University and A&M college was by far one of my best choices for higher learning. Well rounded school and family based oriented. Everything I have learned at Southern has already begun to display in my work field. I also love how huge of an impact this university has on those who aren’t quite sure where they would like to attend.

Onaydi

I like how teachers are committed to help their goal. Also i like the way how they support each other.

Aurelaeshia

Southern University and A & M College is a great school. It's your home away form home. You have a great environment to learn and have fun. But you have to make sure you take care of your business. Stay on top of the care givers in that department. As long as you do that, you have nothing to worry about.

David

Southern University is a public university located in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. As a historically black college, SUBR has a strong history of and commitment to the education of black Americans. It is a small institution with an enrollment of 4,530 undergraduate students. Admissions is fairly competitive as the Southern University acceptance rate is 45%. Popular majors include Nursing, Criminal Justice and Safety Studies, and Psychology. Graduating 29% of students, Southern University alumni go on to earn a starting salary of $25,700.

Jade

I love my school and the HBCU environment, but I wish the friendliness of the staff would change. Its sad that I cant feel comfortable asking simple questions because staff makes me feel as if I'm bothering them. The campus also needs to be taken care of, there is no reason for trash to cover the grass and parking lots and wherever you look.