Southwest Tennessee Community College

« See more reviews of Southwest Tennessee Community College

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself get ready because college life is no joke.Its not going to be easy like high school . Apply for as many scholarships and finacial assistance as possible because college is expensive even two year colleges.There wil be lots of studying. You will have to put your weekend partying aside to focus on studying if you want to make good grades. Working and going to school you will have to learn how to manage your time and budget your money. There will be no staying up late. You will need to get plenty of rest to be able to stay up in those long classes. You will not be able to focus if you don't eat breakfast, you will feel drained and sluggish in those early mourning classes. Don't put assingments off to the last minute because more than likely you will make a bad grade. Prepare everything you need the night before so you will be on time for your classes in the mourning because tardies lead to absences and absences to failure.

They often tell you that one day you will miss the days of being in high school, as for me, I never thought that day would be possible. I am from a small town, a town with only one blinking light and everyone knows everything about you. I was determined to to get out of that place and make something of myself. I was always the girl who played sports and made great grades until my junior year in high school. I started to live a little, you know the time that children become rebellious to their parents? Listen to them! Even though they seem as they are bossing you around, they are usually right. They only want what is best for you to succeed in everything that your future holds. The advice I would have to give to myself as a senior in high school, after being in college is; listen to your parents when all they want to do is help, study hard, always strive for you goals, don't get caught up in the "crowd" ( it will bite you in the butt), and don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't do something!

When I was a senior, I already had a child and a fiance. If I could go back in time, and talk to myself about college and the transition, I would tell myself that it is a neccessary step to living a comfortable life at an early age. I was in college, but I dropped out to take care of my child. I believed, at the time, that I was doing the right thing. I would have had to tell myself that even though it would have been a struggle, the struggle was neccessary. In order to give my children the life that they deserve, I have to gain employment that will support thier needs, as well as thier wants. For that type of salary, you have to have some sort of education or extensive training. Because of my actions then, I am 24 with no degree and a college freshman. Had I known what I know now about life and education, there is no way that I would have left school. Intodays society, the more education that you have, the closer you pull yourself to that American dream that everyone in the USA srtives to attain.

"Ashley, research, and don't stop after finding the school of your dreams. There is much to learn about the journey of college you are about to embark on. My favorite lesson I'm just learning is that there are many ways to go to school for free. I'm not just talking paying for tution either. You can get money for everything including gas to go to school. Also, you need to visit these schools and even try networking with some of the staff that can help you transition smoothly. Don't forget to fill out that paperwork early, and plan your classes for that first semester. It's always good to do what you can as soon as you can when your new to a system. Here's a perk to that boring job filing paperwork, you might be able to use it towards a co-op credit. What is that you say? Man, you're proving my point every minute. Research it. Now get started before you lose the chance to be a step ahead of the game. P.S. -Bring a camera. You're about to have the time of your life.

If I could go back and talk to myself, these are some of the things I would say. I would like to tell myself that life isn't always what it is cracked up to be when you don't have a degree so make sure that you FINISH college!! No matter how hard life gets, taking a year off from college usually ends in ten years and before you know it, life has passed you by. In the "working world" people with degrees come in, you train them and then while doing the same exact thing you do, will make twice as much money as you. They are more likely not to be laid off and they move up quicker in a company than a person without a degree. I would also like to make sure that I made use of the year by applying for scholarships. One scholarship will not take you through a four year college and until you are the age of twenty five, you have to claim your parents on your FASFA unless you are married.

I would give myself the advice to cease every opportunity to learn everything I could. I made the mistake of only learning what was needed or required for my studies. Also I would tell myself to start taking pre-nursing courses so I could have been better prepared for what was my ultimate career choice. However, I am very happy with how things were to ultimately unravel. I found out a career that I know I will love based on experience working with healthcare professionals of the sort. While also finding out that the family tradition of Engineering and Mathematics degree programs were not a plausible option for me to take with my life. I wanted to be happy with my career not miserable, and going through college course work with my previous universities helped me achieve the knowledge needed to make a change for the better.

If I were to go back in time and talk to myself in high school, I would tell myself to finish all of my work and to turn it in because it will count in the future. I would also tell myself to be around people who can motivate me to get involved in any type of after school activities and not those who does not care about school. When I doing schoolwork, don't just settle for average. Aim high. Don't worry about other people and what they can do and worry about myself . Also, pay attention to the teacher, the examples and the instruction he or she gives, and ask questions on things I don't understand. If I told myself that, I believe that I would be a much better person than I am now.

If I could go back to high school and talk to myself I would give myself the motivation to make better grades and get a higher gpa. I would tell myself to focus more on my studies instead of playing and having fun even though high school is fun but to be able to multi task and put school first and leisure later. I would tell myself to talk with my teachers more and have a good understanding of the curriculum and to earn knowledge because I want to but because I have to, to be able to earn a degree and have a high paying career not a job for the time being. I would give myself the advice and motivation I needed to hear about how hard college really is not how fun it should be.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that I should have listen to my guidance counselor. My guidance counselor, Mrs. Baker, was always there to help. She always told us since junior year to apply early to schools, look for scholarships, and get all of your recommendation letters. I chose to things on my time, and constantly put things off. When it got towards the deadline for schools I freaked out and panic. I had no other choice but to enroll in Southwest because of my laziness. Guidance counselors have a purpose in schools; it?s just we as seniors should take advantage of them.

The first thing I would tell myself is to be perpared for anything. College is a big surprise and if you don't com ready you will not make it. Another thing i would tell myself is to make sure your grades are up to par even your ACT or SAT. I'm taking a few developmental classes becasue of my ACT, if I had somebody to tell me that the ACT would b a big part of your class choices or what class you will be put in then i would of kept taking it until I did better. So i will tell myself not to just do enough to get by but do your best in each and everything you do.