State College of Florida-Manatee-Sarasota Top Questions

To give my all, even if it means cutting down on social life. But never let school get in the way of being invloved in church or family events

Kamal

If I could go back in time and talk to my high school self I would tell me to take advantage of all the scholarship help I can get. I was not prepared to pay almost $500 straight out of my pocket for two classes this first semster at SCF. I relied too heavily on recieving a Pell Grant (which in fact, I did not qualify for). Luckily this semster my classes required no textbook due to the fact that it was porovided online. Now I spend an hour a day researching and applying for scholarships online.

If I could go back to my high school self and talk about college, I would say that SCF is not a bad school. I would tell myself that I would meet my very best friends here and that I would really figure out who I was, and what I wanted to do in life. I would also tell myself that I dont need to worry about how long it takes me to get my degree, because not everyone takes four years, some people need some extra time.

Angel

If I had the chance to re-do my whole highschool years I would. If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a highschool senior I would say, " Stay focused, make decent grades, and make yourself happy instead of trying to please others." My grades in highschool was not a solitary representation of what I really could do until I got into my senior year. During my senior year I didnt have alot of time for errors academically because I played around all through 9th-11th grade. I wanted to graduate and I knew that if I didnt attend college I wouldnt make a decent living. So at that moment and time I decided to not please others and please myself doing what I needed to do for myself. So I stayed focused on my goals and now am enrolled in college.

I would have definitely applied myself more to get into better schools. You truly do not know how important high school is until your applying to college.

james

wouldn't have made the bad choices in my life that has hurt me now that I would like to think that Ihave matured and this higher learning has made me realize that

Kendra

Dear Kendra, Congratulations on your high school graduation! You must be getting excited for college and all the freedom that comes along with it. But just remember that college is not all about your social life and having fun, you are going to college for school, so please have your priorities straight and put your studies first. I know you are probably upset that mom and dad are making you pay for your college tuition, but it will really make you take your studies seriously since it’s your “hard earned money” that is being spent; believe me it really is a blessing in disguise. Get involved on campus, it is a great way to meet people, I promise that you will not regret it. Keep your chin up and follow your dreams. There is a significant amount of time and money that is spent on a college education, however it is a great investment and will open many doors for you in the future.

Rachael, You have always wanted to know whats coming so you could plan ahead, well stop. Quit worrying just go with the flow. You’ll have ups and downs but a time will come when everything works out. College will test your problem solving skills not only in the classroom but in life. Transportation, books, and housing are no longer someone else’s responsibility. Save your money and keep working hard. Balancing work and school will be difficult but keep faith. You have always been good at balancing activities in your life. Remember to never compromise your dreams. You know what you love to do, this is your chance to pursue it. Take classes you will enjoy while staying on track. You don’t want to get all the way through school just to realize that what you have spent the last four years learning is not what you want to do with the rest of your life. With that said, there is nothing wrong with changing your mind. Better now than never, right? Most importantly, trust yourself, stay true to who you are, don’t forget where you came from and love those around you. Remember moms always right!

Beatrice

If I could go back in time and talk to my self as a high school senior, I first would have talked to myself about being more prepared for college. For an example i would talk about how there is Scholarships every where and should reasearch more about them. Also, I would do my finacial aid a bit earlier and look out for verfication! last but not least I would have told myself to get to know my gudiance counsler better cause there are the stirring wheel to the car of colleg!

Leona

I would tell myself dont give up you can do this you can acomplish your goals

Hopeless. This would be the exact word I would use to describe myself as a high school senior. My intentions as a senior was nothing more than socializing and having a good time. My thoughts: It's senior year, and you only live once! Unfortunately, that mind-set brought my GPA down well enough to make it almost impossible to become accepted to a great four-year college. Being in college, and having to take non-college credit classes for our of state tuition is only discouraging to me. Especially considering it's not just one. If I had paid more attention in high school and tried a little bit harder, I most likely would already be half way towards my degree, but I had to goof off a little too much. If I could go back and give myself even just a couple words of advice, it would be: "Focus; it might be difficult now, but it'll be easier in your future when it should be harder." The only problem is, there is no time machine. Now, I sit here and say dream about what life would be like, had I tried just a little bit harder.

Kacey

When I was in high school all I knew was that I wanted to me a mom. I wanted to stay at home, and raise children. Unfortunately... I made some rather poor decisions out of some extenuating circumstances, and I ended up married and pregnant my freshman year of college. If I could go back I would like to be told to enjoy a single college life, because there is plenty of time to settle down afterwords. I have just now 7 years later started back in school, and I am now a single mom working full time and attending school full time. Don't settle. Figure out who you are, and what you want out of life. Get a degree, and then if later you are able to be a stay at home mom, fantastic! But have a back up plan!! Never settle for less then your best. You deserve the best!

Thelogust

If i could go back in time and tell my high school self any advise about the college life and the transistion I would have to tell myself about the ways to get scholarships and to strive to get the grades needed to be the best in life. Everyone hears it from people their whole child hood life that school is where they need to be and to do this and that if they want to suceed but only a hand full of people actually listen to this advice. I was one of the many who needed to find out for themselves. So here I am with two children and a single dad at that it has not been a easy journy. So I would use a scare tactic and a simple, if you don't believe what all the other people are telling you how about listening to yourself.

If I was able to have a conversation with myself about college life I would have gave myself tons of tips and advice. I would inform myself about the hassle of getting to school on time. I would explain to myself the frustration of trying to obtain financial aid for education. I would illustrate myself the hard work that I need to put in for school. In addition to telling myself about the hard work to put in I would also tell myself to not let the responsibility of school get me down. I would inform myself that even though the requirements for school can stress anyone out but I would tell myself not to let it bring you down into a depressive state of mind. The most important advice I could give myself because four years of paying for education is something I believe I should enjoy.

Zuleyka

As a high school senior there will have been many things I would change like: I wish I would have apply for ton's of scholarship during my senior year; Also would have save money for tuition and fee's . College is expenses, Another tip I would liked to had change was the idea of really researching colleges and speaking to student that are currently attending the school I would be applying for. By reach out to resources such as career counseling and academic advising I would have been well prepare for college. Another transition I wished I would have done is going away for college such as, living in a dorm with roommates; reasons why to learn responsibility, organization, and desire to learn new things. If I would have known this as a high school senior my life would been so different. However I am glad I am in the position I am now in life. Even though I did not have the information as a high school senior but now I have the knowledge as a college student to be successful in life.

Melinda

If I were to be able to go back in time and tell my high school self a bit of advice about college it would be, "You can do it, you need to do it, and you should do it." My advice would be that you can achieve anything that you set out to achieve and that there will only be a few events in your life that will be as life changing. This one experience of college is something that nobody can take away from you and will put you on a path to personal and professional freedon.

Betty

To take college more seriously, it is not all about partys.

jessica

If ic could go back in time when i was a senior in highschool, my advise to myself would've been to have payed more attention in class, ask more questions when needed, to study instead of party, to have attended math tutoring to learn more basic math, to not worry about my apperence as much as my work, and to have joined in more school activities rather then none at all. these are all the many things i would've done if i only knew better.

Melinda

I did not believe it would ever be possible to go back to school. Now, I wish I had done it much sooner. Delaying your education delays your life. Why in the world would anyone intentionally do that to themselves? I have discovered I am not stupid. I was just ignorant to the possibility of going to school and getting a wellrounded education. The Professors and my classmates are wonderful people who are willing to help you every step of the way. The experience has been exciting and nerve racking but in a good way. I am looking forward to the next step in completing my education.

anthony

i have gotten so much out of my college experience such as learning not to be afraid of meeting new people or trying new things, my school has really made a huge impact on my life as far as building life skills and everyday problems. the teachers are great and they really care about getting your moneys worth so if there is extra help or one on one time that i need they make sure i get the little boost that i need to help me along my way!

I think I have gotten a lot out of my college experiance thus far. I've learned many thing from my first year including just to believe in myself and to just work hard. Good grades aren't just given there achieved through hard work and lots of studying. I'm excited to embark on the rest of my college journey and learn more and more about my myself and the things I can achieve.

Debra

I went to college a few years after graduating from high school. Although I loved the classroom experience and the diversity of students, I have had to continue working while trying to advance my degree. This has been a lengthy process and the opportunity to learn via a college atmosphere , even though invaluable has at times been impossible. I continue to advance my degree by on-line studies. The college experience has enabled me to study on my own, with the availability of on-line forums to discuss challenges and discuss and resolve problems that the learner faces, similar to the college classroom. College is a wonderful way to experience responsibility, independence, and the ability to focus on a particular area of study while learning from different educators and diverse teaching styles.

I have gained many things from attending college. The most important of those is knowledge. Many of the science classes I have taken apply to day to day experiences. Anatomy and Physiology taught me a lot about my body and how it works and I am able to use that information to know that the carb diet is not healthy and that you cannot get collagin into your skin with a cream, as well as many other thing. Psychology has taught me so much about how people think and why. Some of the many other reasons I have benifited from college are self confidence, respect from others, time management skills, and friendships. One other important factor is that my children watch me as I study and they are learning the importance of college from my example. I read my text books to them and sometimes the read them to me. They see how hard I work to get good grades and proud I am of my successes. One of my boys is already in the gifted and talented program and I like to believe that watching me has shown him the importance of school.

melanie

ive learned alot in so little time! from how to use my time wisely for studying and doing homework as well. the people at the campus are focused on helping you in any way that they can.

If I could go back to when I was a senior in high school I would tell myself the truth about getting a higher education. A higher education is so much easier to get when you are younger and without children . You can focus alot better without children interfering with your study time and you can take on more classes to get done quicker. the best advice I would give myself is DON"T GIVE UP! Education is a gift that no one can take away from you. The more education you have the stronger you are in the work force. But for some reason if you can not go when you leave high school it is never too late to go and get a higher education.

In high school I was a bit of a slacker and I believed college wouldn't be as difficult as adults and teachers made us picture it. Oh was I wrong. College is a complete different ball game from high school. In high school there are teachers pushing you to complete your work and to show up to class. In college that differs, yes college teachers do care about whether the homework is being done and what the attendance situations are but college teachers don't push you to do anything. This is all the responsibility of the student.

Oh to go back in time knowing what I know now! If only I could! If I could I would give myself advice to stay focused, get organized and most of all delay gratification because everything comes around in good time. Staying focused is key and making sure to not get derailed from my studies with distractions and peer pressures. I would tell myself to get and stay organized; use file folders, notebooks and calendars so I am never late with an assigment and don't lose important papers and notes. And of course I would remind myself to set goals and not let anything get in my way of making those goals. To do my work first and reward myself for my work with play; that is what I mean by delaying gratification. It might be fun now to play first but the work will still be there and will be harder if left to do later. Stay focused on your studies with a sense of purpose is what I would tell myself and keep that positive self esteem in focus too and the world is your oyster!

ALLISON

If I could go back in time and give myself advice as a senior in highschool about college I would definitely inform myself of the challenges you will be facing. I would tell myself to be prepared for the work load and to work hard for good grades because in end my career will depend on this. I would tell myself to be prepared and ready for a work load that will require alot of studying and research. I would also tell myself to present myself to professor in a professional manner by showing up to class on time and completing assignments on time as required by my professor. I would also tell myself to be prepared to face the fact that you are surrounded by people from different ethnic background, from different walks of life and people who will have an opinion that you need to respect because here in highschool people are restricted from expressing themselves and their opinions about certain issues that affect us as americans today and years ago.

Glorida

If I were talking to myself as a high school senior I would advise myself to go to school right away don't wait. Sit down and write out a short and long term goal for the future keeping in mind the lifestyle desired 5 to 10 years down the road. Then choose a school that offers your desired degree. Go to the campus talk to career advisors and financial aid counselors to be sure you know and understand what is expected of you as a student, and from them as the staff. It is ok to not know which path you want to take at this time but, be sure to do your homework check out each option carefully don't take unnecessary courses. Consider living with parents to reduce living expenses. Develop good study habits and surround yourself with peers who have a goal to met with determination to complete them. Stay focused, keep your work load manageable, and if you don't do well on an assignment don't give up, just work even harder on the next one. You can acheive any goal if you stay focused on the task at hand.

Cindy

If I could go back in time to influence myself in high school about attending college, I would recommend to my high school self to develop better studying skills and to make long term and short term goals to help keep my eye on the prize and anticipate obstacles along the way by thinking through with creative solutions and not to get discouraged and quit. Further, I would tell myself that pursuing a degree requires other skills beyond studying and attending class; it requires vision for the future, to see what life you want, because regardless of the fact that you may not feel driven to pursue a career in high school, you will not always be in high school. Out there is a life that will include financial and personal responsibilities, and regardless of whether or not you have a degree, you will have to work to meet those responsibilities. The difference is you can have some measure of stability and financial gain that a degree offers.

If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in High School, I would give myself alot of ideas. First, I would tell myself to take a small load at the beginning to get used to college techniques and study. Second, I would talk about getting help the minute I began having trouble with my courses. Third, I would find my learning style, then, practice techniques that would help me study. Fourth, I would make a time management schedule. Fifth, I would apply for scholarships to make my college experience less stressful. Concluding, my experience in college has taught me several successful tips, however, I do wish I knew all these techniques at my first attempt to college eleven years ago.

Making the transition to college was especially difficult for me. I was a bit of a procrastinator, waiting ten years after high school graduation to go back to school. I wouldn't consider it a mistake, but rather a learning experience I could never have accquired in college. Now that I have returned to college at the age of 32, I find myself taking my studies far more seriously, and am completely devoted to my goals. I have earned a 3.95 in my Associates degree, and have been accepted into an honor society, Phi Theta Cappa. Looking back, I wouldn't change any decisions I have made as they all have helped to sculpt me into the person I am today. Returning to school later in life was the right choice for me. I learned who I was, and what I wanted to do in life, and when I was ready I gave it my all. College has given me the uttmost confidence in myself to pursue and conquer every personal goal. My advice to myself would be to keep challenging myself, and continue following through with success and determination.

I would begin by reflecting on the road blocks that I created for myself as a colloge student and then I would begin by saying this. Erica, you are a single mother of one child and how do you suppose that you are going to be able to financially support you and a child without a higher education. I would than tell myself that college is not to be taking likely I would encourage myself to set goals and have a time frame in which I should be finish with college. I would reinforce myself to only take courses that are needed for me to obtain my degree. I would also tell myself not to sign up for any courses that can not be given a 100{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} effort in passing with a grade A or B. I would say set high academic standards and achieve them by any means necessary. I would say Erica college can be an exciting, fun, and rewarding experience, but you only get what you put into it. So with that being said take nothing for granted always do your best and aim high because the sky is the limit. Know your resources and have fun.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself to focus more on saving my money. I would also spend more time talking to counselors and applying for scholarships. Now that I am attending college I am having trouble financially and I wish I would have focused more on that. Especially since I am now preparing to transfer to a university where I will have to pay for rent as well as tuition being higher. In these past 2 years attending Manatee Community College I have gone to school full time as well as held 3 steady jobs to pay for all of my expenses. This semester I am attending school 17 credit hours and working an average of 43 hours a week. It would have saved me some of this stress if I would have looked more into the future while I was a high school senior instead of just thinking about what was fun at the time.

October

Assuming I could go back and talk to myself as a high school senior, there are a few things I would tell myself. First off, I would prepare myself financially. College can become very expensive, and the earlier you start saving, the better. I would have told myself to start putting away money and stop wasting it on unnecessary goods. Also, I would have prepared my education a little bit better. I would tell myself to look into the Advanced Placement college courses offered at my high school, and even look into Dual Enrolling in the local college. I really think that doing so would?ve greatly helped me financially as Dual Enrollment is free whereas when you?re actually in college you have to pay tuition costs. Taking college courses while still in high school would also prepare me for the change in environment from high school to college. This preparation would?ve reduced the shock that I received in making the transition from high school to college.

Please don't shoot for MIT theres no need to over pay for schooling. Start studying now and try for bright futures. Keep on studying spanish and try to obtain an assosiates in high school. Forget the crowd of people and rise above there words , there just words, they will only hinder your colloege going. Take the SAT but Prep first with the psat. Watch for those scholarships on fastweb and the career resource center. Live and breath in the books you love and what ever angers you try to understand fully. Apply to USF and UF and UCF as soon as you can. Don't work full time senior year, instead secure you funding for college a more intellegent way, by sitting down and writing a bit.

Janyel

The biggest advice that I would give myself is take summer classes. As much as you want to take a break over summer, it's better to take one or two summer classes to ease the transition stage, and that way you don't have to take 5-6 classes a semester. I also would tell myself, it's perfectly okay, and nothing to be ashamed about to stay at home and go to commmunity college. Community college is much cheaper, and it's easier to transition and grow into maturity, rather than get thrown into the drinking ,partying world of a university. I was always ashamed of going to a community college, but in reality, I'm better off than all my old friends who moved away. I would also tell myself to apply for as many scholarships as I can, because you never know when you're going to need that money, especially with today's economy. Finally, stay focused, and don't let anyone get in the way of your dreams, because you are who you make yourself to be.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior the advice I would give myself would be to learn how to manage my time well. I have had to learn how to juggle a job, school, and soccer. At the same time I would tell myself to not stress out about the transition to college. It is not a huge one, the transition mainly is just making sure you grow up and accept responsibilities. College life allows much more freedom because you make your own schedule and teachers don't hunt you down if you are not attending their classes. Basically, my advice would be, keep your head up, it doesn't get a lot harder it is just another step that I will be taking to better and further my life.

I would tell myself to reserch more befor aplying to a college and not to rush to pick one. I would also tell myself to have done better in school because you will need it in the long run.

Nikki

If could go back in time, I would tell my senior self to not be discouraged and to continue to work hard. College can be tough at times but it's all worth it in the end. I'd tell myself to stay on task, school comes first. If you get all of your work done as soon as possible, you can have more fun. I know it's hard, but you can do it. Just be thankful that you have the opportunity to learn because so many people don't. Working is never fun, I know, but it increases your knowledge and you get another step closer to the finish line by doing it. Stay strong and keep going.

Britnie

My biggest piece of advice would be to not be so naive about the costs of going to college. I was raised by my single mother, and it was always made very clear that she would try to help me as much as possible in college financially, but that I would need to apply for scholarships. I was an independent person growing up and did everything on my own. A typical teenage who thinks she has the right answers to everything. That being said, I never took the time to sit down and talk to somebody about the financial aid that is available. I thought that all I would need was my Bright Futures scholarship because it "pays 75{4a082faed443b016e84c6ea63012b481c58f64867aa2dc62fff66e22ad7dff6c} of my tuition". I failed to calculate all of the things that happen along with the tuition bill. Now a sophmore in college, I am struggling to keep up with all of my school bills. It would have been nice to have this knowledge and understanding 3 years ago when I was in high school so I could focus all of my attention on school instead of my college bills.

Candice

If I could could go back in time and give myself advice in High School, I would definately tell myself not to lose focus in my last year of High School. Unfortunately during my junior year, I lost my older sister along with my focus and my grades started to slide. I only wish I continued working hard in school and had applied for as much scholarships as possible in order to go to college. The time off from school is not worth the struggle that I would be faced with trying to raise two children on my own, starting college at the age of 28 and still struggling to find work without the proper education. I only wish I had the opportunity to enjoy my college education in my youth, had the opportunity to study abroad and experience life and different cultures. I wish I finished my career education prior to having children, this way I would be able to provide for them without the hardships of life weighing down on me. Their is so much education out there that I would love to have but sometimes I feel as though my time is limited.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior I would tell myself that the cliche "the grass isn't always greener on the other side." isn't just a meaningless cliche. It's a well thought out truth. I would tell myself that no matter how tought the first year of college may seem do not under any circumstances give up because even though you may be nearing the end of High School you will be stepping into the first day of the rest of your life once you make that decision to persue your dreams and continue your education. Life is not easy and if you do not carefully choose each step you take and each action you make you may find out that right around the corner the grass isn't even green. Keep your head up, your eyes and ears open and your mouth shut and everything else will fall into place. College is a BIG step but it is definately the BEST step to a brighter, happier, healthier future not only for you but for your entire family. HANG IN THERE!

I would have, without a doubt, told myself to waste no time and be assertive about my education. In 2004, I took the opportunity to move to Japan- even if it meant giving up public schooling for 2 years of distance learning. Although it was one of the best paths chosen in my life, but I could have made that decision better by furthering my education after graduation. At that time, school just seemed like an inconvenience and a waste of time. Looking back at it all, I wish I could have told myself to start immediately after graduating high school. Not only would it have helped me excell to my fullest potential, but I could be better off than I am right now. I've learned that college education opens doors and the certifications aren't just an article of paper; it's something that a person has for the rest of their lives and can be proud of. I would have also told myself that the more I wait, the harder it is to find time. Each day that you procrastinate is one day wasted of your future.

Aksiniya

I would deffinately take high school more serious and do a lot more. I would take more college classes and be invlolved in more college and high school activities. If i would have known that by doing good or better or even taking some extra classes in high school would help me a lot after that i would have done it absolutely.

Jeanine

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I would say to take myself a LOT less seriously! I would also tell myself that just because school was easy for me in high school, doesn't mean that college will be. The opportunity to attend college is not available to everyone and I should study more and appreciate this time in my life instead of rushing through it. I would also advise myself to explore different interests. If there are classes offered on a topic I'm interested in, take this opportunity to learn all I can about it and soak up all the information I can. Lastly, I would remind myself that the relationships formed at this time in my life will provide valuable connections in my future. Get to know my professors, they will be my mentors. Network with others in the same major, they will one day be my co-workers. Cultivate the friendships I will make, they will be lifelong friends. And don't marry the first boy I date. There will be others.

I try not to dwell on my past and do not regret what I have done, but there are a few things I would do differently if given the chance. I would tell myself to buckle down and focus all my energies toward school. My grades in high school were not the best and I missed a valuable opportunity to get bright futures and numerous other scholarships. I was just ignorant then and realize now how important good grades and scholarships really are. Books and tuition cost an arm and a leg and I am working like a slave to pay for them. I would also tell myself to really start thinking about what to major in. I could not make up my mind until my sophomore year in college and I am now slightly behind in classes. If you decide early then you can plan accordingly to get your schedule on track, saving you time and money. If I could tell my highschool senior self the things I know today, it would not solve all my problems but it would certainly put me in a better position financially.

Candice

Stay focused and stay on your P's and Q's because in the end it is all worth taking the time out to go to college and study "A proven method of education." Don't let failures get in the way of what you want. You are going to have children one day and they count on you to be the best role modle you could be. You are smarter than you think you are and you can be the best and finish everything you want to accomplish. Put your best foot forward and you will come out on top!!

hugh

If I went back in time as a high school senior I would to myself to get serious. Don't take school for granted, you came this far you must set some goals. Apply for scholarships and do something about your gpa because it doesnt look pretty. Get with an advisor and ask them how you can get into a good college and how to get the money you need. Stop being lazy and have mom and dad take you to a college fair and visit some schools. This is your last year so study hard and pass all your classes with flying colors. I know you can do it. Go on!

Johanna

Assuming I could go back in time and speak with my high school senior self, the most important piece of advice I'd give myself is to remember my dream and hold onto my passion. Classes can be tough. Everyone has a subject they're good at and a subject they're not good at. For me, math has always been a struggle. My major is Biomedical Science, which requires a lot of math. I would tell myself that there will be nights of homework where it all seems pointless and too hard. But I need to remember why I'm doing this. I need to remember that I'm not going to school just to get a piece of paper that tells me I'm smart. I'm going to school to become a veterinarian and save lives. I would advise myself that everytime I feel like giving up and trying an easier career to go cuddle with my dog and think of the good I could do for her and for other pets who make life worth living for so many other people. This passion for animals will carry me though all the ups and downs of college.