State University of New York at New Paltz

« See more reviews of State University of New York at New Paltz

I think the worst thing about my school is the fact that funds have been cut for the extracurricular activities. Honestly they did not have an excessive amount to begin with and for the next school year there has been a dramatic cut. This concerns me because in the '08-'09 school year I will be the Treasurer of one the clubs titled Latino Week. Our club is based on activities that we can provide for the school for one whole week and budget cuts will definitely affect how we can inform the public of spanish culture.

The worst thing about my school is that there is not as much to offer for commuting students as on-campus students. I live 45 minutes away from my school, and professors do not always consider the time and money put into commuting to campus. They tend to assign mandatory meetings or talks that students must attend. They do not think about the work schedules or driving time and gas money that commuter students have to deal with each time they are asked to come to campus.

The worst thing about New Paltz is trying to balance school work and social life. I want to be involved in many clubs and hang out with my friends, but often I have a lot of coursework and I don't have enough time to do both. And, scheduling is sometimes an issue. For instance, I have five classes on Mondays. It's a long day that ends with a lot of homework. However, it can be done with some effort, it's just very difficult.

"Academic advising/registrar." We are a small enough school in which I stopped going to my advisor for problems and whenever I had a problem in any subject (getting into a class, problem with "progress report") I went to the chair of the department, everyone else was useless. That is the biggest piece of advise, oh and don't expect answers online, go to the chair to find answers to your questions.

i dont like the normality that is associated with drug use i do not use drugs and i find that everywhere i go someone is. i also do not like the devide between majors people within my major are very commited to acedemics but outside my major people drink and dont take school seriously and i find when i am in a GE class students are very rude to profesors.

Cannot say what is the worst thing because the college experience is really what you make of it. You can coast and enjoy life with no parents telling you what to do or you can go into college with a set plan and goals. Now that I am thinking about it, the worst thing about school is the freshman 15! I gained the freshman 30!

What I consider the worst thing about school, I also consider the best thing, which is the location. Because of from NYC, whenever i feel home sick i can always go home, but SUNY New Paltz does not have much transportation so we can go to other places like Poughkeepsie Mall or anything. Theres not places to go to in New Paltz

Lack of school spirit, and the pot community on campus. A lack of school spirit kind of just sucks, I do not like not having people back the sports teams. And the pot community on this campus is sooo annoying, they make a big deal oout of everything and cant accept the fact that pot is illegal, hide it.

The Bureaucracy. Getting things filed or paperwork processed is a nightmare if you don't guide it every step of the way. Very few students fully understand the way the administration works and there should be more emphasis on that. It would increase student success and involvement .

One aspect of my school that I am unsatisfied with is that there seems to be fewer classes available each semester than there should be. Us students should have more options open to them each semester, because for many departments, there just is not enough.