State University of New York at New Paltz

« See more reviews of State University of New York at New Paltz

Someone who is not willing to work hard. I know that sounds like pretty stereotypical answer, but SUNY New Paltz is one of the more academically challenging schools I have encountered. Although it is a state school, I have a handful of friends who go to private liberal arts colleges. The workload that they recieve from their classes is far less then the workload of most New Paltz classes. Unlike most schools, New Paltz requires students to take a minimum of 15 credits per semester. Overall, SUNY New Paltz is not a place for slackers.

The only person who should refrain from attending SUNY New Paltz is one without an open mind. The undergraduates I've met throughout my first year are vibrant people who love experiencing each unique opportunity that comes their way. Each student possesses their own offbeat style and enjoys letting his or her opinions be heard. We find it exhilirating to embrace new mindsets and rewrite our personal philosophies. People who prefer sticking to tradition may find themselves overwhelmed by the lax demeanor of New Paltz.

People who are not open to new things and not accepting of diverse people should not go to New Paltz. New Paltz contains some of the most unique, confident people I know. People at New Paltz know what they believe in and what they want in life. Many people at New Paltz are very involved in community service and helping the environment. Individuals who are not interested in these things should not go to New Paltz. Students who seek college in a city would not like SUNY New Paltz because it is in a very small town.

A student looking to be in large size classes and be just a number should not attend this school. A student who is looking to attend a school with a big sports reputation should also consider a differed college. The campus is on the small side so a student wishing to be part of a very large campus community should look elsewhere. Also anyone who is close-minded should not become a student at SUNY New Paltz because the campus and students are very diverse and unique.

The school is well rounded and suitable to all except those who have academic goals that the school doesn't meet. Any kind of person would be comfortable here. I've met kids from all over the world. If you don't like meeting all kinds of people, if you don't like fresh air and a country environment, or if you want the excitement of a huge city, you should not come here.

A person who is not serious about their studies should not attend this school. SUNY New Paltz is a selective school that invests its' time, money and support into the students. A person who does not care about their future should also not attend this school. New Paltz offers many resources to help it's students succeed in school and in the real world.

If you are interested in a school where you can never possibly know all the students, then New Paltz isn't the place for you. If you aren't passionate about what you're studying or what you want to become (or driven to find that passion), it's probably not a great fit. But it really is the right choice for a very wide variety of people.

Anyone who is willing to explore themselves and their beliefs. While for the most part we are a liberal school, you need to be able to look deeper into yourself and the issues at hand than follow blindly. If you are one for conformity, this is not the place for you.

Anyone afraid of diversity or stepping out of a priviledged bubble would not have a great experience here. Anyone who's ideal home is a large city would not enjoy this school (excepting the proximity to NYC).

Extreme conservatives should beware of the liberal population at this school. It would be very easy for someone really conservative to be offended by many people on this campus.