Stephen F Austin State University

« See more reviews of Stephen F Austin State University

The primary advice that i would give to students about finding the "right college" would be that they "embrace discovery". When students are seeking to find the "right college" it is important that they sincerely embrace the task of discovering new cultures and belief systems. Students can accomplish this by visiting both prospective colleges and colleges that they may not have a strong interest in. By doing this, students are able to discover each respective college while, becoming acutely aware of themselves and what they are truly looking for in a college setting. Regarding the college experience, I would encourage students with one small phrase "live richly." In order to make the most of the college experience it is important that students truly take advantage of all that the college experience has to offer. By becoming involved on campus and in the community, students afford themselves the opportunity to experience a plethora of potentially life changing events. By opting to "live richly" in college, a student can cultivate her character and serve her society.My final advice to students is this: "Carry these principles past your college experience; in all things seek to embrace discovery and to live richly."

If I could have revisited myself during high school, I would have told myself to take algebra seriously. Now taking a college course which is more rigorous than what I have been exposed to during high school, I wish at least around my senior year I had used the additional exerises, activity multimedia, calculator tips, and the mixed review more seriously. College algebra is not that difficult a subject in mathematics but from experience the material always stretches over your critical thinking skills. For example I had to use matrices to solve linear equations in three variables. When I was a senior in high school, I really wrestled with using the given textbook methods. I could not use the substitution method so I had to learn how to use the Gauss-Jordan method by multiplying and adding elements. The word problems are my shortcoming in math . One time I had to solve a problem on exponential growth. It involved a business trying to build a 350, 000 facility in 8 years investing 200,000 that pays 5%. I thought of creating a formula by diving the rate over the principal times natural logarithmic times one over the return.

College is the place where you discover the person you will become. You make your life long friends there. You build the foundation for the rest of your life. Therefore, it's no secret, the college you attend will have a direct impact on your future. When selecting the right college, keep in mind how you would like to see yourself in 20 years. Don't limit your decision to the size of the school, the location, where your other friends are attending, or the "party" atmosphere. Rather, approach your decision with maturity and respect for yourself before anyone else. While at college, make your parents proud. As a student, you will represent your school for 4 years, you'll represent your parents, and whatever other organizations you decide to participate in. In effect, you should take responsibility for yourself and realize that your behavior impacts others as well as yourself. Study, work hard, keep an open mind, talk to your professors, you'll be surprised what you'll learn from them and how much you'll have in common. Above all, enjoy - this is the beginning of the rest of your life. Good luck.

There are so many colleges out there that finding the one that fits you seems overwhelming. The teen and parent really need to figure out what the preferences of the future college student are. Do they like a small town atmosphere? Would they not fit in at a school that has a highly active Greek system? Using this information really helps the teen find a perfect fit. Visiting the colleges is a must. Never visit on a weekend or during a break, you want to get a feel for what the campus is like during the regular academic year. Talk to random students, ask them what they like about the school and dislike about it. Use every available source for financial aid out there. There were a lot of scholarships I qualified for that I didn't know about. To really get the most bang for your tuition buck, use the classes to their fullest potential. Show up for lecture. Do the readings. Study. After all, you or someone else is paying for this. Finally, get involved. This is the biggest mistake I made. Most universities have organizations for everyone to help you make friends. Most importantly: be yourself!!

One main factor for uneasiness once you transition into college life is homesickness for sure if you go away. I reccomend making sure you will be able to thrive at a distance that is not too far away or too close. Be sure to visit the campus and observe the drive time and your ability to cope with certain traffic conditions. Also, when visiting the campus venture off campus to experience the town and see if it matches with your personaility. Don't pick a school just because a buddy is going there or just because your parents are alumni. Be sure to visit the building where you will earn most of your credits and meet the head of your department if possible. That way you will be able to see exactly where you are headed. Once you get to college I strongly advise looking into campus clubs and activities and picking ones that suit your personality. Through these activities you will meet people similiar to yourself. By staying true to yourself it will be easier to focus on classes instead of your unhappiness. All of this will contribute to your overall success in college and eventually in life.

To go ahead and weigh the amount of freedom that your child has been given, to the social voracity of the campus in which you will be putting your children. If you have not properly prepared them, they can very well be swept away in a torrent of alcohol and the opposite sex; leaving their studies to drown in a sea of confusion. Take great pains to work out financial aid, housing, and everything else BEFORE you get to campus, it will make life easier on you. Don't buy textbooks until the first day of class, otherwise you end up either spending too much, or buying the wrong materials. Make sure that whatever your reasons for going to school are being fufilled, otherwise you will end up wasting your time and efforts on ventures that would best be left for a later time and place. Try and keep a job while you're in school, work gives a very good structure to your day, and helps keep you from becoming distracted by various things that would otherwise pitfall your attempts at achieving your collegiate education within the timeframe you set out to accomplish it in. Good Luck, Keep Learning.

I would honestly tell them that it is ultimately the student's decision of which school they would like to attend. However, the parents should also lend a helping hand when makinig such an important decision and help the student to weigh all of their options together. Although, most students would rather attend a school that is well-known (such as UT or Texas A&M for example), it would also be wise to consider the option of attending a school that is still somewhat well-known, but maybe not as much as other schools. Another factor to take into consideration is that no matter what, it's not the school that you attend that matters the most in the end, but what you learn and get out of your time there. One should also compare and contrast the cost of attendance, the amount of financial aid being awarded, scholarships, and other financial aspects. I would also tell the student to think about the location of the school and whether or not they would be alright with being miles and miles away from home or not. Choose wisely, but remember that it is not the end of the world.

I would encourage both the student and the parents to visit the potential school on more than one occasion. One visit to the place that the student will be spending at least the next four years of their life would most likely not be rewarding enough. When visiting the campus, one should visit many aspects of the school and investigate different programs and activities the school offers. The student should feel pretty comfortable speaking with student leaders of the various activities, especially since these are the people they will be associating with for the next few years. Parents should feel uneasy about letting their ?baby? go off to college, but it is part of growing up. The parents should enjoy getting away from the house to visit every once in a while. College is such a rewarding and life changing experience! When you find the right campus for you, you just know, and your future just starts unfolding right in front of you. If you find the right campus, you don?t get homesick; and when you?re home on holiday breaks, you can?t wait to get back to school!

I was 18 years old in May of 2002 when I graduated high school. Three months later I started classes at the local community college. Two months after starting college I got pregnant and had to withdraw because of complications from the pregnancy. Now, seven years later, I am attending college full-time again as a junior at SFA. I wish I understood then the importance of a college experience and degree. If I could go back and talk to myself as a senior in high school this is what I would say: ?College life can be a wonderful, fun, and educational experience. Please take it seriously! Think about the consequences of your actions before you do something that will change your life forever. You decide your own future and the future of the family you may someday have. Obtaining a degree will be required in the simplest of jobs in a few years. Therefore, you need to get one now! Go, live in dorms, attend classes at a big university, and join a fraternity. Have fun while learning to do what you love instead of settling for what?s convenient for you! Act your age!

With me being a sophomore in college, I've already broken the ice and know how things go. To parents, allow your child to make his or her own choice in where they want to attend. All you can do is guide and show them what is to come because in the end, they are the ones that are going to have to take resposibility for themselves and realize that they come to school for an education. Support their decision in everyway possible, and believe me when i say they do miss you more than you ever know even though their actions might say otherwise. To students, how many parties are thrown and how cute the opposite sex is shouldn't be a determining factor for the right college. You are at school for an education to better yourself as a person for now and the future. Don't stress yourself over boyfriends and girlfriends because it is nothing more than a distraction. Always keep in mind that college campuses are one the biggest STD and HIV/AIDS infected places you will ever be in. Make good, sound decisions that you can live by, and think everything through.