Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

As a high school senior I would have recommended taking more dual enrollment classes instead of only advanced placement classes. Depending on the university which you attend you may want more transferable credits under your belt so you don’t overload yourself your freshman year. I would definitely congratulate myself more for making it through my senior and high school career academically well. I would suggest finding out more about the campus and all the ins and outs and visit more than once. I would suggest really trying to get to know your admissions counselor so that you make sure the school is a right choice for you academically and socially.

Dear High school self, you weren't involved in high school, but it would be in your benefit to change that in college. There are so many great people you could make friends with, just try to step out of your comfort zone a little (or a lot). Also, start saving your money. You will end up going to an amazing college, but you will need to take out loans and saving your money would help you pay for books. It may seem scary going from a small community college to a larger school (even though it's a pretty small school) but don't be afraid- you will experience a warm welcome from everyone. Did I mention you should get involved? Sincerely, College self.

Always put education first. Concentrate solely on your classes and homework. Study hard and review your notes at least once a day and always be prepared for class. Don't stay up late. Getting enough sleep every night is extremely important as well. If you are running on less than three hours of sleep, it is more than likely that you're not paying attention in class and dozing off instead. Do not overthink things and try to be as stress free as possible. This is going to be the best four years of your life. You're going to meet new people, gain new friendships, and be introduced to a variety of cultures from around the world. Enjoy it!

The advice I would give myself is to gain as much knowledge as possible in my majors, psychology and management, just to have a bit of an upperhand in the competitive environment. Also to save as much money as possible to handle costs that come along with a college education. What's also important is to learn how to properly relax because college life can be stressful, whether it's exercising, going on a walk, or even just meditating. I think the best advice I can give myself is to take initiative because that's what gets results. It's how one stands out and take the reigns of your future because you dictate where your life goes.

My college experience has provided me with a broader view of life and a greater appreciation of liberal arts and freedom of the mind to wander and ponder. I've been enriched culturally and have been exposed to different forms of thinking and different persepctives. Before attending Stetson, I was a tight-lipped and reserved student with very minimal self-assurance. Since attending college, I have become more assertive and confident and unafraid to express my opinions openly. I am much more liberal at heart as well. This is probably one of the grandest changes which could have befallen me and I am quite grateful for it.

The advice I would give to parents about finding the right college is to visit the colleges at least twice. Once to get a general tour another, if at all possible, to allow your son/daughter to shadow a student. To see what life is like outside the guided path. He/She will meet real students who have true opinions about the school and are not subject to what the recruitment office wants you to see. Also financially plan ahead for it. This pre-planning will prevent cost burdens and allow your son/daughter to not worry about not being able to attend all 4 years because of financial mis-planning

i would have to say that even though i have been in college for only about a semester an half taking 4 classes and playing football, i have already learned and takin a from it. being there the first day so many different things went on and but i got all the help i needed to geet started. my first day i learned that life was about to change and i have learned how things are not always going to go as planed and how things are going to be hard in life and that i need to be ready for them and not be afriad to work hrad for anything because in the end working hard pays off most of the time

If I could back and talk to myself before I ventured into the world of academia, I'd probably tell myself to come in with better organization skills. I was so thrilled when I first attended Stetson. It was my first time away from my parents. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I was finally independent! I would definitely remind my younger self to focus a little more on school and to thank my parents more for all the sacrifices they were and are making for me to attend a private institution. Plus, have a blast! It's going to be the best four years of your life, thus far...

Coming to college was a very difficult transformation. I grew up in the Virgin Is;lands and moving to Florida, where my immediate family did not live was extremly difficult for me. The first couple of month my freshman year was not to exciting. I really missed my home and family. Although I had those difficulties I knew that I was getting a great education and that I needed to stay here to be successful later in life. I have learned so much for all my classes and from relationships with teachers and other students. I have also become a more responsible and mature adult.

I would start off by telling myself that hard work will get me everywhere I need to be in life. College has taught me that perserverence and willingness to get things accomplished is the key to success. I was very focused in high school, but I never had to be as dedicated to my work as I am now. Stetson University has allowed me to develop a sense of responsilibity and work ethic that I didn't have in high school. The best advice I could give myself is that all my good deeds and hard work are what count in college, and to continue on the path I have started trekking on.