Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

The rules for high school dont apply here. If you want to change your habits or your relationships with your frinds and parents, if you really want to become independent, you need to start taking REAL steps. make a plan, right down ten of your top goals on a sheet of paper, right down some measurable, time sensitive steps you can accomplish to get there. you dont have to be afraid to tell people how you really feel. And remmeber why you want to work in microfinance, why it motivates you, and then apply that to all your work. Keep your long term goals right in front of you and youll always have a way to feel motivated to organize everything day to day without being discouraged. and never be afraid to TALK about what's stressing you. keeping it all hidden throughout highschool isnt healthy, and you know you'll need the support for your first year. and dont slack off on your bible studies each night, they help you get to sleep, keep things in perspective, and remind you how each event in your life has a real purpose, even if you cant see it now.

One of the most important aspects of finding the right college is figuring out what kind of college you want to attend. If you do not have a specific major in mind, the best choice would most likely be to attend a community college for a year or two. This allows you to get general education classes out of the way, as well as experience classes from different fields to get an idea of what major you would possibly be interested in choosing. If you do have a specific major in mind or you have already attended a community college, the next step is to find a college that has all the aspects you want in a school. Although location is important, do not choose a college for the sole reason that it is close to a beach or other major attraction. Once in college, get to know people in your chosen field. These are the people who you will most likely be working with for the rest of your life, so build relationships with people you enjoy being around. Give constructive criticism instead of cutting comments, as they will come back to you later in life.

I would approach myslef and tell myself that you need to declare a major and stick with it. To choose pre med and find out all the information you need to know about everything, before applying to colleges. I would make sure I would apply for as many scholarships as possible, to take my studies a little more serious, even thought I graduated top ten in the class. Going into college undeclared was the biggest mistake I could have done for my career. When I finally figured out what I wanted to do in life, I was so uninformed about my major that I was going in blind and hoping I was doing the right things. Come to find out I was not meeting deadlines. If I could go back and tell myself this, and show myself that declaring my major and finally getting into my dream college and moving away will never come to be because you will be short six thousand dollars on your tuition and have to come home and return to the community college, and how complicated things do really get once high school is over, I think I would be in a better standing.

Looking back to my high school self, going into college, I would tell myself to take advantage of every activity and opportunity given to me at Stetson. Because it is such a small school, the possibilities are endless. I would tell myself to be as outgoing as possible and network as much as I can. Networking can help you with your future in many different aspects. I would also tell myself to stay positive and always remember that in the end, it'll always be okay. Because no matter how difficult some life situations may seem, they can always be worse. I would tell myself to be extremely grateful for the abundance of opportunities handed to me, and the numerous of close friends that are always there for me. Lastly, and probably the single most important advice I would give myself, would be to work hard at everything I do. Talent alone means nothing. Talent can't grow unless you practice, never give up, and work your very hardest in every possible aspect. In order to reach my goals, hard work from the very beginning is extremely detrimental.

I would tell give myself more encouragement. When I originally went to college back in 1987, I did so with a horrible attitude. My parents had filed BK, they couldn't help me. financially My dad was laid off and my mom made $30,000 per year , I couldn't get financial aid. It was all on me. I worked full time while going to school full time. That didn't work out well so I ended up one semester, one class. So after 4 years of struggling, I finally gave up. I would have told that high school girl to not give up, ever. Education is so important in life. I would tell her to find a way or just to keep going even if it took 12 years. I would also have told my high school self to have better organization skills. This is so key to secondary education. I started back in 2010. The classes are exceptionally fast paced in nursing and pre-nursing. My Anatomy/Physiology classes alone I spent over 70+ hours a week in class and studying. My 4.0 GPA and acceptance into two different schools nursing programs reflects those oganizational skills.

My college experience has included many interesting and new things that have both broadened my perspective on life and has opened so many doors to my future. As an Environmental Studies student, my major covers many subjects from religion to biological studies to foreign languages and all of it has amplified my will to learn and to grow. As a freshman, my studies were meant to cover as many different subjects as possible and Stetson did a wonderful job of just that. They cater to your needs as a student and an adult, both assuring that you have what you need for success and giving you the space to learn from the experiences that are encountered. I had professors who were determined to hit the books the first day and professors who preferred to give you the guidelines for the course and let you learn through discussions without exams. I love my college and the small class sizes are my ideal learning environment. They allow me to know my classmates and to network my resources, a skill that is vital to real life and to my career.

If I had an oportunity to go back in time and speak to myself as a high school student, I would make the following sugestions: I would appreciate the teachers, I would pay strict attention to what they were telling me, I would have taken as much college credtis as I can, I would prepare myself for success at an early stage, I would encourge all my friends to do what I was doing, I would certainly get involved in every student activities that were available, I would demostrate all chrcteristics of an honor roll student, and ofcourse , I would also getin volved in some sort of community service, in order to display good charcter on campus and of campus. There are many other , things that I can say to myself, if I can turn back to the hand of time. Those beautiful advices that I have just now mentioned, have enlightened me. Therefore I am going to act as if I am still in high school. Now I am going to do everything in my power to be wne of the best student that ever walked across the college campus. Thank you for listening to me.

If I could be a high school senior again, I would tell myself to start preparing early. Apply for as many scholarships as possible because it is insane how expensive college can be. Also, I would tell myself to look into classes as well as the professors that teach them. Talking to other students to see who to have as a professor and who not to have can make a huge impact on your workload in college. As a college freshman, one of the best things that I did was going into college blind. Meaning that I did not room with someone that I already knew. This forced me to get to know people around campus and make friendships I wouldn't normally make. Looking into clubs and organizations on campus was also a really good thing that I did. It got me involved and kept me extremely busy my first semester which helped me from getting homesick too much. In conclusion, I would tell my high school self to prepare to be blown away by an amazing college experience. It is already flying by and has been some of the best few months in my life.

An advice I would give to my high school senior self is staying positive. I would tell my high school self to not be afraid in asking for help, to not be pesstimistic and to not think lowly of one's self. I've honestly made some mistakes here in school due to self-esteem problems and have fallen behind with school work. But I have managed to find help last year thanks to a music professor at the university. The music professor had led me to a career counselor who helped me choose my major and advised me to see a guidance counselor. From then on, I have seeked help from academic counselors, tutors and professors. With so many staff and faculty members helping me succeed in school, I am able to manage my studies and do well in school. My high school self never seeked much help in high school and did not study much. But, with a few words of encouragement and telling my high school self to stay positive I would've done a bit better with studying for SAT, ACT, AP test and probably would've been accepted into my dream school.

The best advice that I could give parents and students about finding the right college is to really examine yourself as a person and see what is important to you and what type of personality you have. Some people can go to a large school and are social enough to reach out to people and make friends, others get lost in the crowd and never make friends or get homesick and leave early. Either way you should determine your personality type and think about going to a smaller school if you can afford it. Having a tight knit community like the school I went to is priceless. It can mean the difference between the best four years of your life or four years of frustration and loneliness. We all go to college to learn but we should really be there to make lifelong friends and open our minds to new cultures, experiences, and people. If you can find a school that fosters that type of environment then by all means check it out! You'll never regret the fun of going off to college, living the dorm life, and meeting new people.