Stetson University

« See more reviews of Stetson University

If I were to go back to my high school self and give her advice there would be many different things that I would want to share because knowing these few things would have helped me in my transition to college. Most likely the first thing that I would tell myself would be that college is so much different from high school. No one cares about who you were in high school, whether you were popular, a jock or a geek it doesn’t matter when you enter college you are still a small fish in a big pond. Secondly I would say get involved in extracurricular activities, not only do they look good on a resume but they will give you a break from classes, studying and stress and they are absolutely the best way to get to know people. Lastly the most important tip I would give myself would be, the faster you learn to manage your time in college the more successful you will end up being. College is an amazing experience and overall you will end up enjoying it more if you are able to juggle everything that you want to do.

For once, the people you'll be surrounded by actually want to be at school and will actually try to learn. Which means you should step it up and actually try for once. College is a refreshing, sometimes stressful, challenge. Also, don't be so hesitant to make friends. Not only that but you (surprisingly) won't be moving again to new state- you'll actually be in Florida for a little bit. So far you're up to 4 years in this place. You're really going to miss the snow, but if you can get through college then you can go somewhere cold, like Colorado. Oh and you get your first boyfriend your Sophomore year- he's British, 21, ridiculously cute, nice, and a marine... and he just got a motorcylce. So when that sleezeball that you thought you liked stops talking to you for no reason during your Freshman year, don't worry about it. Keep your chin up and wait it out, a real man is just around the corner. It's okay to feel. College is more responsibilty and more work, but it's also a place to become the real you.

Make sure you can afford the cost of college. Go visit the campus for a day when classes are in session and people are active and around campus so you get a true feel for what the campus atmosphere is like and see if you fit into it. Get involved with extracurriculars that you enjoy, but don't take on too much at one time or you will fall behind in your schoolwork.. Make friends early so college isn't a lonely experience. Budget your money wisely, because books will cost you a fortune! Go to class and make connections with your professors. Budget your time as well so you don't study or socialize all the time. Try to work things out with your roommate(s) and don't hog the bathroom or make too much noise, because you will make enemies very fast. The RA is not your babysitter, he/she is just there to help when problems in the dorm get out of hand. Your parents are no longer there to push you to do your work and your professors won't baby you so it's up to you to motivate yourself to do the work.

To all highschoolers out there...College is a very important step in life! It is a time where you get to meet people that have similar interests as you do. It is great for networking. It is a great place to meet you future spouse, as you both would have the same level of education which will help on the long run into your marriage. It is also a great time to get to know yourself and get involved in various activities. It has trly been the best years of my life thus far, and it would be a shame for any highschooler to miss out on such an extraordinary experience. To all prospective college students, do not let financial reasons get in the way of your University education. There are many scholarships available to you. You just have to put the time and effort! Remember you are the writers of your life. You have onone to blame but yourself for any path you choose and that is a great part of life to experience! Independence! So, make sure you get your GPA up to standard and study well! Good luck!

You need to find the place at which you feel most comfortable. Campus should feel like home. If it doesn't feel right, you should probably keep looking. That's why it's so important to visit campuses. Don't let someone else tell you what you want to do at college. A lot of students choose a major or a college because it's what their parents want them to choose. This is YOUR decision. The only way it could be wrong is if you're not happy. College is about finding who you are. Choose the place that will help you the best. =) Once you're there, keep up with your grades, but don't get too stressed out. You can still get As and have a social life, I assure you. If you lock yourself in the library for hours on end, you may get an A, but you're probably not going to be happy. Study with friends and make time for yourself. If you get too stressed, don't be embarrassed to go to counselling. They're there to help you. Plus, you get to vent for an hour and it's free and confidential.

I would advise myself to take my time when choosing a school and to start searching for schools early on. It is important not to rush into any decision and choosing a college is a very important decision for every high school senior. It's vital not to rush into a school before visiting it or going to a school because of friends or other smaller factors that play into the decision. It is helpful to make a list of things that are important to me when looking for in a school. Also, after each visit to make pros and cons list of the school and compare it to the list I made of my "ideal" school. When making the decision of which college to go to its important not to feel rushed and ultimately to listen to my instincts because in the end only I know what my needs are and what is right for me. And lastly, I would tell myself to enjoy in this time because it will be one of the greatest moments of my life and I should try to capture each moment and experience each visit to its fullest potential.

Dear Marie, I know that you’re worried about college coming up, but don’t forget to have fun with your friends while you have a chance. Work is not everything in life right now- you can worry about loans on breaks. You have no problem making friends and it will show when you move in. When things happen that you don’t agree with or that you don’t like, stand your ground. College is the time to grow as a person, so don’t live with regrets about what you should or shouldn’t do. People see that you’re smart and empathetic. Find that balance between friends and school, and don’t take your success in high school for granted. There are so many things that you can do now that you’re “free” from the restraints. Be careful with yourself and others. Be yourself and take a couple risks, but don’t go overboard. Deep down, you know what to do. Take deep breaths and keep smiling, Yourself P.S. Your passion is being present to people. That will help your struggle during freshman and sophomore year.

I have gotten an enormous amount of different things from my college experience. The ones i value the most are discipline, determination, work ethic, and commitment. I have aquired study habits that make it seem like there is no class or no subject I can not learn. It has taught me so much more about the world around me, and what i can do to make a difference. There are life lessons that I have learned in college that I could not have learned any other way. Some of those lessons have been how cruel this world can be at times. I have also gotten a knowledge base, that can help me in many different situations. The education i recieve now is essential for how fruitful my future will become. If I never began my college career and stopped right after high school I would not know half of what I know now. Going to the college is actually one of the most valuable choices I could make in my life time. I will cherish all that I have learned here, and use it the rest of my life.

As we grow older I, as well others, want to say our lives were lived without any regrets. We don’t think about the present and how it will look when it is our past. Every person is different on how they apply these words of wisdom. There is never a concrete “right” answer in life, well except in math.. Some decide that they will dedicate their lives to sports, some education; some spend their whole lives discovering themselves. When we are the critical age of deciding our future, we are compared to the wonders of the world. The CEOs, the doctors, the one who makes a million dollars, the one who got into that Ivey League College. You never have to live up your life to someone else’s success but your own. A mistake should not be seen as a failure. It has been drilled into us “don’t make that mistake again”. A mistake can’t be a mistake if it ends up leading you to the path you desire. . If the career choice you choose fulfills your heart’s desire then your choice can never be wrong.

Younger me, this is vital information I'm giving you. I know your going through a rough time right now, but it works out. Focus on school right now. It's more important than you realize. Get involved in dual-enrollment and get a few college courses done. As for Sean, just be his friend. That's best for him and you. When you leave for basic, don't be scared. You meet good people and become close friends. But do not, and I repeat, do not become a stick. You will hate that job and Chief will be out to get you. Also, change your MOS on classifications day- trust me Aircrew is not worth it. But if you do keep it and go to special physicals don't say you've had issues breathing, they will kick you out. And when you start college get all your papers in early. They make you run around in circles. Also- on your FASFA, number 38 is wrong. I wouldn't say we made mistakes this year but we could have made it better, so for you and me just listen to what I've told you and do your best.