Stevenson University

« See more reviews of Stevenson University

I would tell myself to be more social and not to let the stress get to you. I was so overwelmed with tring to maintain a social life and school life I completely shutdown and became an anti-social insomniac. Thankfully the staff at my school noticed and after talking to a first year advisor i got back on track. Sadly my grades suffered which is sad because the work wasnt that hard. I would explain to myself parties and clubs can come during another time, but now this is for establishing yourself as an individual and not caring about who did what and who went where. And lastly I would tell myself that everyone has stress and sitting alone in the dark won't do anything so get up and study with your friends dance in the shower but just realize this is OUR life so don't MESS THIS UP!

I would first tell myself to relax! Transitioning into college is scary, but everything works itself out and the school is willing to help make the transition easier. I would also tell myself "You are not alone." There are many many freshman that are going through the same process as you are. Everyone is nervous and everyone is looking for friends. This takes me to the next piece of advice for myself, be confident. Because everyone is new, find the courage and confidence in yourself to go to the school socializing events and meet as many people as you can. Knowing people around campus is a great feeling, being that you are away from home, having a large amount of familiar faces makes campus more comfortable. So, relax, be social, and enjoy every minute of it because time flies!

If I could go back in time I would tell my high school alternate self that she should spend less time with her friends and get a second job because paying for college is not as simple as getting as many loans as possible. The application processes are difficult without a cosigner. I would also argue that if she did not want to get a job she should spend more time studying in hopes for academic scholarships because college is nothing like high school. It is unfortunate that my past-self might ignore my warnings but I would not give up until she understood that I am from the future and I have experienced college and it is a lot more than social gatherings and parties it is something she will really have to work on and devote all of her attention to in order to be successful.

First of all, DO ALL OF YOU WORK. Just because you have a class that may be dramatically easy does not mean that you slack in doing your work and turning it in. If the work is so easy then it should take you no time to do it. Second, Make sure you don't miss to many classes. Although you are paying for school and think that you can miss class whenever you want does'nt mean that you will not miss information thats told in class. Last, but not least , enjoy college. There are so many things to do. You can watch movies with your friends, Go out to eat at wonderful restaraunts, and sleep late in the morning times. But, with all of that said don't forget about you PRIORITIES which are paragraphs one and two. You'll do fine as long as you follow through with what you say.

I would tell myself that, hey you only got 4 years here. Don't try to rush through every single moment of it. Yeah it sucks having to be up at 5 am to do your medicine for your Cystic Fibrosis just to make it on time to a 7:30 am class. Cherish everything you do here, it's all being done for a reason. I would tell myself to study a little harder and challenge myself a little more than I did because it would have better prepaired me the rigorious college classes I will be taking. I would tell myself to live life to the fullest even in the worst of times. Live, laugh and love harder than you ever have before, you only get this high school experience once. So live it up, hang out with friends, play sports, work hard in school, but most importatnly, do what makes you happy.

My college experience has literally been the best and worse thing I've gone through in my life. On the positive side, I've experienced things I would have never been expected to experience. Especially growing up in the inner city of Baltimore where almost everyone in my class in elementary school is either dead, in jail, or pregnant with atleast two kids. But on the other hand this experience has had a dark side. I felt a lonliness and heartbreak over my time that I never thought I would feel. This literally almost killed me but now it is just another memory I can put into my book of experiences. So as my college experience near and in I kinda relate my life to Lou Gehrig's final words in his speech. " I've had a few bad breaks but I've got an awaful lot to live for."

Going back in time, knowing what I know now about college life and making the transition, I would advise myself as a senior to do career based research. I would advise myself to research the career that I would be spending the rest of my life doing. I would ask myself would I really enjoy doing this for the rest of my life and if so, do an internship or externship in that field to validate my aspirations about that career. Putting yourself into the actual workplace can either deter further interest in that field or further exemplify and strengthen your determination throughout your education. Knowing where your determination will lead can make the time go by fast and help you stay focused and keep your eye on the PRIZE- your lifelong career.

Knowing what I know now about college life there is a bit of advice I would have given myself. First off I would have let myself know, that it is okay to get stressed about work, but you just need to be able to work through it in a timely matter. I would have also let myself know that yes, the work load does come at you quick, but as long as you dominate it, then you will be able to work through it. The other advice I would have given myself is, school isn?t something to be afraid of, nor are the professors. Everyone is there looking out for you and wanting you to succeed, you just have to be willing to go find the help. The help isn?t going to necessarily run up to you, you have to go outside of the box to find it.

If I knew what I know now back in high school, I would have changed thing in my academics. I do not feel that I was well prepared for college. Not enough emphasis was given to the amount of work that college takes. In high school I did not feel challenged and at times, just whizzed through the work to get it done. I wish I had worked harder and set higher goals for myself. I feel that if I had worked harder, I would have found college so difficult. I am working harder that I have ever worked. I feel great when I get good grades because I believe that I am earning every grade that I am getting. Looking back I though high school was so hard and a drag, but in reality, high school was simple.

If I could go back in time and talk to myself as a senior in high school, there would be many things I would tell myself. First, I would make it clear that in order to receive most scholarships I must bring up my ACT score and therefore work harder at that. Second, I would tell myself that applying for every scholarship possible is important! You never know what you might be awarded! I would also tell myself that what I thought is studying is not even close. I always had over a 4.0 GPA, and I was always working hard for that high GPA. However, college is a different level of working hard! With those tips of helpfulness, I believe I could become a well rounded college student!