SUNY at Binghamton Top Questions

What are your classes like?

Kimberley

My classes are decent. As a freshman who came in just a few credits I'm taking a lot of intro courses. A lot of upperclassmen say intro courses are more difficult that upper level courses. I don't know yet. There is a lot of work, and it's up to me to stay on top of it. Overall I enjoy my classes because they challenge me.

Kimberley

My classes are tough but not unbearable. Over this past semester, due to being an avid procrastinator, I was up until at least 4 in the morning every Tuesday doing the past week's assignments for one CS class alone. I was also frequently running around frantically trying to find a printer most mornings because of my habit to delay printing homework until ten minutes before my writing class. My required 1-credit class, CS101, was a piece of cake and an easy A: the slides were online and there was barely any homework, and if there was, it was based on the slides. Going to class wasn't even necessary, but the professor took attendance so I was stuck there for an hour. Somewhat of a waste of time. Writing 111 I wasn't really fond of. There was much too much plain old reading assigned, and by that, I don't mean too many pages. The often very short readings were discussed in class the next day, but little to no actual written work was required based on them, and I did almost nothing in that class but skim enough to understand. Most of your grade besides the 3 essays is participation, so skimming is necessary to show that you know what's going on, but studying the texts was pointless in my class and probably didn't help me in the long run. The three essays are killer if you leave them for the last second, and no matter who your professor is, you're getting a D or C on it for the first round. Rest assured, though, that those grades don't matter, as the only grade that actually makes an impact on your GPA is the final grade when all your essays are looked over as a portfolio by two or three professors and usually given two to three letter grades higher depending on how much you proofread and edit. Calculus was a tough class for me, only because I had never taken it in high school and didn't take any math my senior year. So, I was at a huge loss. However, I did much better than I expected and ended up with a nice round B after getting the extra help I needed and studying harder than I've ever studied in high school and middle school combined. Now that I look back, it should have been a piece of cake, and I heard that calculus II is much harder anyway.

Its varies from professor to professor.

Mischa

In this video, two Binghamton students are interviewed about their majors and classes.