Cortland, NY

SUNY Cortland

« See more reviews of SUNY Cortland

There are many things that every freshman should know before they come to SUNY Cortland. The most important thing that was shocking to me, is that it gets really cold and really fast. It starts snowing sometimes as early as mid-October. Be sure to bring up some winter clothes and a coat when you first come here. Even though it gets cold fast, definitely bring a fan, because the dorm rooms get really hot and there is no air conditioning. Another important thing is to stay on top of your work. Do not fall behind. college classes are a lot harder than high school classes and involve a lot more work (which is hard to transition to after having senioritis haha), but it is definitely manageable as long as you do your work on time and don't procrastinate too much. I have known a few people who have dropped out because they have skipped too many classes or they failed and it's a very sad thing. Another important thing to remember is to join as many things as you can and remain active. It's nice to joing a group of people to hang out with and to do fun activities with. It's my senior year and although I'm in a sorority and already am involved in something, I wish I would have involved myself a lot more. There are so many clubs I wish I would have taken a part in and I wish I would have went to more campus event and sports games. Another thing to remember is to be friendly and try to meet as many people as you can. It may be hard to meet new people and to transition from living at home to not, and being away from your parents, but I promise it will totally be worth it and you will love your time at Cortland!

Selecting a college to attend is a major decision, which requires a great amount of research and thought. For a high school student who is unfamiliar with the college lifestyle this task may be quite difficult and stressful. As a college student, who has been through this process I like to consider myself experienced in this area. The most useful and important advice I have gathered throughout my experience is that you should not base your decision on a college's reputation or name. Although a school may be very highly regarded for overall academics, it may not be as highly regarded for a certain field in which you wish to study or for extracurricular activities. Be sure to consider all factors or there is a great possibility that you will not be happy with your decision. Also, make sure that is YOUR decision and not anyone else?s. Of course your parent?s thoughts and concerns do matter, but you are the one that will be growing and developing there during the most important years of your life. With effort and time the process of selecting the right college to attend can be an enjoyable and successful experience.

I am part of APAC (Aids Prevention and Awareness Committee), part of the Planning Committee for SUNY Cortland's First Annual Conference for Diversity and Social Justice this year; a member of Spectrum, the Gay-Straight Alliance at Cortland, and was a model in 2 fashion shows that raised money for Haitian Relief and an all girls school in Africa. All of these things and more have helped me in getting the most out of my college career. These organizations all help others, which is something I strongly believe in. I don't think anyone can be a productive member of society without having an urge to help others ? which is why I want to teach. It has been valuable for me to attend Cortland because it's a very close knit community, and if it was a bigger school, I don't think I would have gotten as involved, because I wouldn't have known where anything was or when meetings were. Cortland is also the best school in the SUNY system, and the Northeast, for teaching, therefore giving me a great advantage over other teachers because when someone sees Cortland on a transcript, they automatically thing teaching.

I would tell parents and/or students to carefully visit each campus they are interested in. Meeting with professors of the prospective student's department is a good idea to familiarize themselves with their new teachers and see how engaging and motivated their teachers are. Students should talk to alumni or current students at that school to see what they think, what they like about the school and what they don't like. I would also take a close look at the town the college is in; there are many weekends during the school year and it is important to find a place where each student can participate in activities that are not college-related that help them deal with stress and pressure that is often felt in college. If involved in any sports/clubs, I would make sure to meet the people in charge to make sure they share ideas and point of views. Finally, I think that parents and/or students should visit each campus they are interested in and spend a day or two around campus; if the student feels comfortable and excited to live in that community, then they have found their home away from home.

Advice that I would give to parents and students beginning to research potential college choices would be to analyze and take note of the you or your child's interests. It could range from needing the resources that will aid them in becoming an active participant of learning about their culture, as well as wanting to educate others, down to their need for extra teacher student interaction. It is important for both students and parents to realize that visiting a school and taking the campus tour doesn't provide you with the reality that students attending this school face on a daily basis. I think it's important to speak to the students on that campus, but not just one or two students, many. Speak to as many students of different ethnic and racial backgrounds, majors, club affiliations and staff positions. It is likely that honesty will come from those who aren't being paid to tell you what you want to hear. The students are the core of a college; they hold all the answers you need to know about making your college experience an enjoyable learning experience.

Looking back at myself as a high school senior is like looking at a stranger. I was insecure about everything. Knowing what I know now about college life, there is a lot of advise I would give my high school senior self. I believe there are two key pieces of advise that has allowed me to grow and succeed thus far. My first piece of advise would be to figure out what your priorities are. Having your priorities set will make all of life's transitions less complicated. Acknowledging what's important makes decisions easier to make and lessens the inevitable stress in one's life. My second piece of advise is to be confident with who you are. As a child and throughout my high school years I was painfully shy. I was so focused on the possibility that people may not like me that I never gave them a chance to know me. Since making the transition to college, I realized the importance of liking yourself and not worrying about what others think. Accepting myself has allowed me to come out of my shell and enjoy life in a way I was too afarid to before.

Overall, I would descirbe my college experiance as being a very dynamic hands-on learning journey that I could not picture the women I have come to be without. There are many reasons why my college experience has been valuable to my life. The most important, not to mention the reason I enrolled in college, the fact that I feel prepared to enter graduate studies. I feel as though I have recieved a great education and have met great people in the social sciences along the way (even if it was not neccesarily at SUNY Cortland). Another thing I treasure that I would not have had the chance to be grateful for without my college experiance is the family I have made while attending. I have met wonderful individuals that I know will be life-long friends. The professors I have gotten the chance to get to know on a personal level is also another aspect of college I value. My college experience has given me exaclty what it was sopposed to; courage, determination, and confidence to go out into the world knowing who I am and what I want to accomplish.

The best advice I can give to parents and students is to pick the college that has what they want. I know that it sounds like common sense, but I cannot begin to describe how many people I know who pick colleges based simply on the name. Many people choose a college because it is where their parents want them to go. That needs to stop, period. A student is not going to want to be forced into a school picked by their parents because it wont be what they wanted. Parents need to remember it is their kids who are attending, not them. Also, do not attend a school simply to play a varsity sport. Playing sports is great, but make sure the school you are looking at has your major before declaring. Apply to as many scholarships as possible. Without scholarships you will find yourself in a huge money crunch, just as I am now, and it is not fun. Get to know your professors early. There are a lot of students in the classes, so the professors don't know most of their students. Make a positive impact and introduce yourself to all of your professors.

Transitioning from high school to a college or university involves a drastic change in a student’s life. College does not resemble high school. A student isn’t in the school building for the entire day waiting for a bell to ring, they have to budget their own time and money, and basically have the freedom of making their own decisions without someone looking over their shoulder to guide them. If I could go back and give advice to myself about what I have experienced in the transition, I would say to manage the time you have. Make a schedule of what you want to do that week, like charity or sporting event or going to the gym. Begin the readings that you are assigned in class before the professor talks about them—you will know what they are actually saying and it helps when a quiz or test seems to creep up on you. Meet as many people as you can in your classes or in your residence hall and eventually pick a group that you enjoy being with and want to make part of your close circle. Enjoy yourself, but don’t forget why you are there, too.

Hi, I am 27 years old; I grew up in Truckee CA I moved to Reno NV after I graduated in 2001. I came here thinking I knew everything to be living on my own. Little did I know what the world had in store for me. I got mixed up with the wrong people and made bad decisions. I ended up in some legal troubles and was put into a drug court program. After a long road and some soul searching I made a life changing choice to come to college and stopped being the person I hated. I graduated the program, cleaned up my past and began my future. Today I am proud to tell you I am an ambassador at Truckee Meadows Community College. I am studying criminal justice, currently I am a sophomore. I believe my past has fueled my future. My experience as a student has shaped me to be a well rounded educated person. I enjoy seeing myself do positive things while learning. I plan to continue my studies at a university after getting my associates degree. The most valuable aspect of college for me is giving back to the community and encouraging others.