Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

The Academics at Syracuse are top-notch. It's amazing, like in my Intro to Philosophy class that had 350 students in a huge lecture hall, the professor knew about 75-80% of the names. And if you didn't come to class, he would know. That is the effort and energy that professors take to know you. Like they will be great assets and I constantly find myself going to their office hours and talking about stuff outside of school because they are more of friends and role models that professors to me. Students study a good bit, but it all depends on who you talk to. SU definetely has intelligent conversation outside of the classroom, just the other night, we had a debate over politics and what not, so people actually care about real issues on this campus. Personally, I spend a lot of time with my professors outside of my class. I would def. suggest utilizing their office hours, but if you cannot make it, some professors give you their home phone numbers and cell, as they want to help you by any means possible.

Ahh the "Newhouse Nazi's" The professors at newhouse are above hardcore. I've never met a group of individuals striving to impress them until the first day of COM 107 when Professor Chock asked the class the president of Iran and 70 students out of 80 raised their hands. When you find your niche/major the classes get really personal and the professors make an effort to meet your needs as in time conflicts and what not. Not just the faculty but the Career Development Center and my academic advisor have pushed me to limits I never knew possible. I've got a great resume and an awesome internship and I'm only 20. I not only will learn to be a good journalist but a good citizen and a good friend. Syracuse teaches you about life and all it has to offer. I could go on about the stuff that I learned in class but what I really took out of it was that "you write your own story. you have the pen in your hand..so start writing how you want the rest of your life to be"

Depending on what class you're taking, class sizes can vary. The lectures are usually bigger, but require recitation classes that have less than 20 students in it. Some classes that I've taken, the professors have remembered my name. In fact, I have asked 2 of them to write me a recommendation. Class participation is very common and strongly encouraged in smaller classes, and especially recitations. Sometimes, the professor actually counts participation towards your grade. I have had some professors who are really good, and very knowledgeable about their topics. However, I've also had professors who should not be teaching. I am an international relations major, and I think its one of the best departments within the college of arts and sciences. They even offer a semester in Washington DC with an internship, so they really offer students real world experience. Overall, I think the academics at this school are pretty good.

I think academics at Syracuse are top notch. Most of my professors are great. A couple are hard to understand because they don't speak english well. I definitely notice a lot of students on facebook/AIM during class a lot, or texting. But I feel like this happens anywhere. Some of my classes are big lectures. Others are smaller. Class participation doesn't seem that common in ig lectures. I'm in the business school. Maybe I'm biased, but I think it's the best school on campus. Not only is it the best building (beautiful $40 million dollar building with state of the art technology) but my professors have been amazing and truly wanted me to excell. It's called Whitman, and when I came to visit Syracuse, it definitely surpassed my expectations and blew away all the other business schools I'd visited.

In VPA (visual and performing arts) you have small classes with excellent professors. Yes the teachers know your name. In the other schools within the University? I've had mixed interactions. I am a very active student, so the liberal art professors usually learn my name, but if you are quiet or not a serious student, professors may not bother with you. I like to think of SU as being composed of two segments:party-kids and students. Students are competitive, but not cut throat, involved in the community, and serious about their majors. Party-kids party and are basically worthless. I dislike that I am forced to take such excellent classes with them. SU has a good career services department. Like everything else in a big college, its up to the student to find out about it utilize it.

Every teacher I've ever had knows my name and remembers it for years. I just ran into my Freshman Writing 109 teacher this fall and she remembered me and asked how I was doing. In the art department, students call all of their teachers by their first name. My favorite class I ever took was an English Class called Jane Austen in Context in which we got to go to London for spring break. I learned a lot, people participated in class, and I met two of my best friends from the class. Last semester our teacher actually got us together for a pizza party reunion. Overall I would say that education at Syracuse is geared towards getting a job, mostly because of schools like Newhouse and Whitman. Of course that doesn't mean that's the only thing students are interested in.

As a part of the Drama Department, all of my teachers know e by name. There are several lecture halls, though, where it is easy for a teacher not to know you, but if you put yourself out there, the teacher will remember you. You will only be known if you present yourself. At Syracuse, the amount of time people study greatly varies. I study in all my free minutes, but I also know people who open their book only for fifteen minutes to cram for an exam. I am an acting major, so my favorite class is Movement where we learn tumbling, stage combat, judo, and other techniques. The professors are always willing to help, and even go out of their way to make available weekend office hours. Here, the professors are always on your side, and they want to see you succeed.

most of them know my name, because im in a small major. drawing for illustration was my fav class because it was taught by this crazy comic book illustrator. least fav is art history because the teacher talks about pointless off topic crap then tests us straight out of the text book. my classes are studios, so yeah we participate. some intellectual conversations out of class. they are competitive in my major (illustration) but we pretend we arent. most unique class...drawing for illustration i guess, or maybe comparative eastern empires. i see my professors at drawing marathons outside of class. academic requirements are fine. i dont know, my major is learning so we can get jobs as artists

I would have to say that the Spanish department is kind of disappointing, unless you take classes at the SU Center in Madrid - then the classes are great. I would recommend Koseki, Lewis, Everly, and Walker as professors of Spanish and avoid Garcia-Calderon, Bonilla, and Kim. Newhouse classes are overall awesome. The students in Newhouse are competitive by nature but willing to help you out -- although, I'm not going to lie, there are some jerks there. The magazine department is a lot of fun. Most recently I was in an editing class where we created our own magazine about sex. It was a blast.

It depends on you major but classes are what you make of them. Professors in most cases give attention to those who seek it. That is what is written in our school emblem (suos cultores scientia coronat). Each college is what the students (alumni included) so its not hard to see some schools get more lime light than others ie. New House Communications Vs. LCS College of Engineering. The good thing is that it is not hard to find an internship. The school is affiliated with companies and organizations all over the country. Internships can be tailored to your needs, provided the company likes you.