Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

The social divide between Greeks and non-Greeks. I am Greek, but it's absolutely ridiculous that there is so much rivalry over who has a set of letters and who doesn't. I mean, some of my best friends are non-Greek, and I am in no way ashamed of that. In addition, some of my Greek Brothers whom I've introduced to my non-Greek friends have become very compatible. The whole situation makes no sense, and is very indicative of the school.

In my opinion, Syracuse University does not have any downsides. While the location of the university leads to some security issues, the school itself is amazing. The only bad aspect of the area is the increased amount of assaults committed against students. Currently this year there has been about ten armed robberies. This is the only issue with the location of the university, but there are no issues with the university itself.

The worst thing about my school is the intense work load. On an average night, I don't sleep until two AM. I am a hard worker, and try to get everything done to the best of my ability, but it is so different from high school where I need to put my best into everything I do. Professors seem to grade extremely harshly, even when I put so much effort into my work. Only rarely do I feel as if my hard work is paying off.

I think they care more about money than they do about the actual student's education. They put most of their effort into the athletic programs because that is what makes them money. If you are a middle to upper class white student, no matter if you have good grades or not, it is almost impossible to get financial aid in the form of scholarships. Also the city is ugly and the weather sucks for most of the school year.

This school is nice I like it a lot but the weather is known to be bad. However, it's my first year here and the weather has been pretty nice. It hasn't gotten too cold and it hasn't snowed yet even though it's already mid-November. I also heard that it is cloudy most of the time here, but so far most of the time it has been sunny. But next year is a new year and it could be completely different.

There are a couple of dorms here that are rotting away, windows are getting rusty as are the bathroom sinks, walls are getting dirty. i feel like they should renovate these dorms rather than building a new dorm, which they are currently working on. I just feel like they're going to end up bulldozing the old dorms and just making new ones to compensate all the ones they will eventually remove.

In my opinion, the worst part about Syracuse university is the artic like atmosphere that manifests itself between the months of December, January, and February. I mean I am originally from Maryland where it does go below freezing during the winter, however, when you wake up in the morning and see that it is -12 degrees and your nose hairs freeze on your way to class, that just flat out sucks.

Completely unbalanced on focus, giving all the resources to worthless departments like the varsity sports teams and Newhouse where it's extremely rare for anyone remotely useful to graduate from these areas, and ignoring the useful departments. The school is horribly disorganized, extremely overpriced, and unfriendly to people from middle-class families who aren't part of any varsity sports.

The worst thing about Syracuse University is the price of everything. In the bookstores, on Marshall Street, and even in the nearby CVS, everything is overpriced. Part is because of the New York State tax, which is of course, not the University's fault, but the other part is the University's fault. The augmented prices make the process of getting even the most everyday products difficult.

The worst thing about my school is the attitude of anti-intellectualism that more than half the student body seems to have. There are many students who seem to want to party and do anything that facilitates partying; what is unfortunate for these individuals is that they have separated both genreal knowledge and book smarts from the perverbial list of things that are considered fun.