Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

Race plays a huge role in how students and faculty alike view each other, whether they want to accept it or not. The school advocates for diversity and does well to create environments where different students can interact. At the same time, in doing so, racial stereotypes like "the rich white Jewish kid" or the "loud angry Black woman" or the "studious Asian student" are perpetuated. It is common to hear about the JAP's (Jewish American Princess's) and their ditsy attitudes and lack of common sense. Its common to hear about the drama Black and Latino students deal with because they talk so loud in public, drawing attention to themselves. Its not rare that you don't hear about the Asian because either they are staying away from everyone else and only living in their clique of only Asian friends.

When I first moved to Syracuse from the South I was informed about the stereotypes of the coined term the "JAPS" and at the time I thought it meant just alot of Asians, but little did i know it stood for Jewish American Princess. Girls who were spoiled by their parents and had more $ than God, I heard the campus was diverse but those diverse clicks usually were tight knit. After attending for two years and on the brink of my junior year I quickly erased the image I had in my head of SU and saw the competitive witty kids that i go to school with. Sure..every car in the parking lot is a BMW, Lexus, or Range Rover... but that was just something to get used to. The School did an amazing job of playing it's cards right and offered numerous organizations to fit students needs.

A lot of people think Syracuse students are really Jewish. The girls are supposedly "Jappy" and some guys are considered "Guidos." Some people are like this, but lots aren't. Kids at Syracuse definitely have a lot of money. The typical Syracuse girl wears uggs, leggings, a long black northface, has a starbucks coffee in one hand and her blackberry in the other, and has long straight black hair.

Some of the main stereotypes about SU and SU students are that they are snobby. People think that the Northeastern Students, that come from NY, NJ, PA, VT, etc. are snobby and have a sense of that they are better than everyone else. Also, since SU is a private school, there is a stereotype that there are a lot of rich students here. Also, another stereotype is that SU students are diverse.

There are stereotypes that our school is full of sorority girls from New Jersey that party all the time. Overall the campus has a less academic atmosphere than some schools. In general students are more concerned about getting into a profession than getting a liberal arts education.

The most prevalent stereotype among Syracuse students would have to be that they are either: Jewish, rich, or both. For the most part, students are seen wearing they're designer handbags, shoes (uggs), and shades. The students are snobby, spoiled, and clueless.

That they are all ugg wearing types that follow the latest fashion trend and try to impress everyone around them. SUNY ESF has the hippie stereotype that they all go around in birkenstocks or barefoot and care more about trees than anyone who isn't in ESF.

Newhouse kids are all snobs, VPA (particularly drama students) are gay (if they are mail) and promiscuous/experimental, the Engineerings school is full of Asians and Indians, all the hot guys are in Whitman, all the minority groups stick together, etc. etc.

Girls are big time JAPs Boys are tan and very metrosexual Huge party school Greek life is huge Athletics are amazing You won't have fun unless you party Newhouse is very difficult School is very diverse

Te stereotype of students at SU is that they're all sports kids or rich preppy kids. Though you will fin people like this on campus, I wouldn't say that it is a stereotype that is accurate in the least.