Syracuse University

« See more reviews of Syracuse University

Before I matriculated to Syracuse I wish I would have known the extent of how important time management is. At a university like SU , you must have superb time management skills, if your the social/outgoing type, because there is something to always keep you busy. This is most important your first year because that when you will be establishing yourself. Be sure that what ever school you choose, that you go there with the intent to stay focused, while enjoying yourself. Come to SU, learn, live, and trust that it will help you in return. YEAH SU!!!!

?Welcome to the Animal House. College is the best four years of your life.? Wrong. It?s freshmen year. You don?t know anyone, you?re up until 3am writing a paper, you miss Mom?s cooking, you?re usually lost, and you think you?re all alone. Wrong again. You are never alone. Remember that everyone is scared, and everyone worries about fitting in. You enter college on that common ground. Knowing this will help you ignite lasting friendships with your peers. Do not be afraid to reach out, always make the most of the situation, and pack Advil.

I wish that I was aware of how much work architectural studies involved. If I had known, then I would have been able to acclimate sooner. As it is, I am well situated and have become comfortable with a heavy workload. At this point in my education, I would prefer to pursue academic success than to waste my time at fraternities. I also wish that I had known of the divide between the academic intensity of the architecture school and the rest of the university: as it tends to result in me studying while other people are partying very loudly.

I wish I new that Syracuse University offered a huge variety and amounts of different activities and clubs to get involved with. If I new about some of the things earlier in my first semester I would have tried to get involved. I also never knew how much spirit and pride the students and staff have for the school and I am happy about becoming apart of that atmosphere. Overall nothing I learned about this school after coming here has lessened my opinion about it. Everything that I have learned as helped me grow to like the school.

Before attending Syracuse University in the fall of 2009 I wish I had known how much you need to rely on yourself in order to get what you need. Everyone assumes that you are fine until you ask for the help that you need. It is very important to advocate for yourself, otherwise it will be extremely difficult to get where you need to be. Communicating with advisors and professors is the key to success and getting youself to where you need to be. I wish I had been better educated and prepared in this area .

You need to rely on yourself more in a college enviornment. Besides schoolwork, tedious chores such as laundry and cooking meals become a part of your routine. I had difficulty at first adjusting to this as I felt that I was plopped into a place that was very demanding of me. I was not sure if I was capable (in terms of intellect and basic skills) of handling the daunting challenge. But once I got into a rythm and become accutomsed to my surroundings, I felt much more comfortable and at ease.

I wish I could have known better about myself, about my true, own self that not what other people had told me "Ying, You are...." I knew that college is different than any of my education experiences but no one in my family had told me how hard it is to handle as first generation as well as a non-native english speaker. I knew about myself since I was 12, I knew what I want to be, what I want to do, but I had over estimate my ability to handle things by other people's perspectives on me.

That it was so heavily focused on drinking. There is almost nothing to do for fun at this school aside from drinking. Going out at night and going to sporting events both involve drinking. I enjoy beer, but so much enthusiasm for alcohol gets pretty boring after awhile. I also wish that I had known about the engineering building before I joined. The computer labs (where most of our work is done) are in horrible condition in comparision to all of the other schools within the university.

Before I came to Syracuse, I wish I had known that you had to keep a 2.75 GPA to maintain your university scholarship. I was under the impression that the rewuired GPA was a 2.5, therefore I have to work harder to keep my scholarship. This was changed this school year as I was entering, so I was surprised to learn this. This new rule motivates students to work harder, so I am fine with it. I also wishI knew that you had to work hard on getting a work-study job on your own.

If you are going to live in a town away from home, Syracuse is not an interesting place. Pick an area more exciting with better activities outside the university unless you are only interested in an on-campus life. Also, students have very little academic curiosity. Most are not driven for anything besides grades and are not focused on their classes unless it is exam week. Many other schools know how to have fun, but also focus on schoolwork and genuinely want to learn.