Tennessee State University

« See more reviews of Tennessee State University

I Since I have been in college I have learned a lot about myself and the people around me. I have learned that we all make mistakes and it is not what we did, but what we will do after we have made that mistake. I have learned to care for others and not just for those in Africa, but for my classmate sitting next to me, the person using the computer in front of me. I have learned that I will fail, but with every failure to get back up and try again, work harder. I have learned all this while being in college, and although you can say, “Well, you can learn all this out of college,” yes that is true, but for me this has been my college lesson. College is so valuable because when we are placed in a class with 30-500 people, there are so many different views of life. Where else will I learn to stand up and defend what I believe, or to challenge my beliefs and ask questions.

Looking back from where I currently stand today in college, I would go back to my senior and tell myself to study harder, take everything that I learned and equip myself with what the teachers gave me for my future courses. Furthermore, I would tell myself to study harder and not to slack off because what I do during my senior year will carry on to college and will either help me or do nothing for me. I would tell myself to keep my head in the books and use what the teachers gave me for my near future. I would also tell myself to take everything I do in school seriously because everything the teachers gave me represents real life and responcible things that I need that will help me with my future. The teachers cared about my future and don't want to see me ruin it, so my advice to myself as a senior would be to be comitted, study harder, and take it all seriously.

My college experience thus far has been amazing. Growing up in a small town and being homeschooled, I wasn't sure what college life would be like. But, I have flourished. I have enjoyed the diversity of the classes and the people I have met which has made me more aware of life outside of our rural area. My professors have become friends and I have enjoyed all my classes from Business Law to Fencing to Creative Writing. I don't think words can measure the value of my time attending Wenatchee Valley College the past two year. I feel like I have grown up and become more responsible as I started when I was only 16. I appreciate the fact that taking requirements has allowed me to figure out where my strengths & weaknesses lie. I look forward to pursing my a double major in Economics and Journalism at a four year univeristy. Thank you for your consideration.

College is a very important decision. I believe deciding which school to attend is very critical. It can literally mean life or death financially. I enrolled in an out of state college to get away from home, but I should have taken my time deciding where I should go. Plan accordingly and make sure you are well prepared for what's ahead of you. Learn all about loans and really decide if your dream college is worth attending. Please make sure you visit the college you wish to attend and meet people who attend that specific college to find out their different perspectives. My biggest mistake was not being informed enough about Tennessee State University and had I known more about the school that accepted me I would have made a different decision. I have no regrets because now I can inform those that lack the knowledge that I received from my college experience.

I am currently a student at a 2-year college where the tuition is low, which reflects on the teaching here. I haven't been learning as much as I would like to because of the lack of the teachers' wanting to help me learn. It is also very much a "party school" which makes it hard for me to stay focused on what is really important: getting a degree. What I have gotten out of my college experience is that I would like to attend a larger school, possibly a university, and gain a higher education than I could at my current college. I have learned valuable lessons from attending this college, like learning how to support myself and live with other people in a civil manner. It is hard for me apply for different colleges because they are so expensive, so getting this scholarship would help me get to where I am wanting to go and pursue a better education.

When making the decision on finding a college the first thing that should be considered is financial abilities. Take time to think about wheather or not in-state or out of state is what you want to do. In doing that make sure the college you choose is one that has your major and has staff and resources to help you out through your college experience. Look into the student teacher ratios and information about the staff. Also try to take a tour of the entire campus, and if you cant take a physical tour then see if there is a virtual tour that you can take. Another thing that may also help is try to find a few people that attend the college and/or alumni of the college or colleges that you are intrested in and take some of the things they say into consideration. Those are some of the steps that can be taken to find the right college for you.

Don, you need to live each moment of each day as if it were your last, to steal from the old cliche. Although you will have fun and make many lasting friendships while in college, you are there to study and learn what will guide you through the rest of your adult life. Please take the time to get to know your advisors and professors, as they will undoubtedly be able to help guide you while in college, as well as offer assistence in job placement, internships, and scholarships. Become involved in associations, clubs, and societies that will aid in your future career advancement and placement. Join study groups and seek tutoring when available as you can NEVER learn too much! Your sacrifices over the next four years will pay off in many different aspects of your life. Go forth and be proud, buckle down, and hold your head up high!!!

Dear self, Well look at you getting readdy to graduate from the only public school you have ever attended. I'm from the future and I just want to tell you to keep doing what you are doing. It is ok you don't have the 3.5 GPA or the SAT score that conflicts with the ACT. Just know you are still doing good. I found out that you can repeal that rejection from University of Southern California but don't do it because we still can get what we want. I'm sure you are down to paying a semester for school or free school. As much as I wanted to go to North Carolina A&T it is ok to spend that year at TSU. You get a wonderful start but don't sign up for the general education course if possible and focus on major pre-courses. Well work hard like I know you will so we can transfer to North Carolina A&T. Love, Keheira from the future

I would advise students/parents to do research on their school and area of interest. Personally, I came from a city called Los Angeles to the country of Nashville. The environment is totally different from my home town. Although I was upset with my decision of moving out here in Nashville, you also have to make the best of things and realize your whole purpose of attending this school was for an education. Students should always surround theirselves around positive because most of the time, people tend to lose focus and fail. I would also recommend students/parents to also surf the internet and find things like college board help you find the school of your interest. Maybe even log into myspace or facebook and find people who attend the school of their interest to find out the inside scoop. I hope this was good advice.

Take your time and look at all options. Don't just look at who gives the most money- sometimes it is worth it to pay a little more for a better experience- academically, socially, emotionally and mentally. While college IS about education, it is also supposed to be 'the best 4(or 2 or 6 or whatever) years of your life'. Its a learning experience and its alot harder to learn if you wake up daily with a negative attitude because you hate the college you go to. At the same time don't try to take on too much debt either. this includes credit cards, school loans etc. Be VERY careful with credit cards and debit cards as well, its very easy to overspend with both especially the bank cards w/Mastercard/ Visa logos. And above all-WORK HARD- study, study, study but don't totally forget what rest and fun mean.