Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

The stereotypes are not accurate. Yes, Lubbock is very conservative but at Tech you will find a good mixture of students always ready to discuss and debate different points of views. We have conservative professsors and we have liberal professors, we have a nice balance at the university. The university is on the rise and continuing to grow and make a difference in the world. We have some of the most incredible research int he nation today. One of our most famous one is the Pulsed Power and Power Electronics program in which we are working to deactivate IED's (improvised explosive devices) in Iraq before they detonate. We are saving lives. Even more important is the fact that the only two other universities selected by the U.S. Government for this research is MIT and CIT. We are par with some of the best and top universities in the world. Yes, there are students at Tech who settled because they could not get acceptance into some of the other, larger, more state funded universities but the majority is not true. A lot of people, valedictorians, honor roll students come to Tech for the atmosphere and the expanding and growing education. Here at Tech we're not just numbers on a sheet we're Techsans and our professors and staff always try to help us to grow and meet our fullest potential. The programs here are continuing to grow and we have some of the best facilities and programs in Texas if not the nation. It's the perfect time to be at Tech. The fact is that Tech is large enough for you to spread your wings and find yourself but it is small enough for you to meet your future bridesmaids and groomsmen. No matter where you are, no matter what path you take after Tech, once you are a red raider you will always be a part of our family. At Texas Tech you can always find a home away from home.

#1) We are NOT a small school just because we are located in the boondocks of NW Texas. We are almost as big as A&M and since Tech is looking to expand student enrollment over the next few years we will probably even out grow A&M. PLUS we have the largest campus in Texas and i believe the most beautiful as well! You have to come visit! #2) Every college is a party school. Whenever you put together a ton of young adults with complete freedom for the first time in one place, you are going to have some wild parties going on. If you want good parties we have those, if you want excellent academics we have that also. With large schools come even larger oportunities. #3) Not everyone gets into Texas Tech. Yes, Tech is more easy to get into than a Ivy League School but that doesn't mean that they accept everyone. Plus, who cares if its not extremely hard to get into. It's not getting in that counts, it's being a success once you get in. Texas Tech is finally getting some of the credit and publicity it deserves and i believe we will only keep rising from here.

The most common misconception about Texas Tech University is that we are a party school that doesn’t care about academics, but the truth is Texas Tech has consistently been recognized by its peers, students, and alumni as an amazing and progressive University. Texas Tech’s Rawls College of Business was listed as one of the best business schools in the country by the Princeton Review, Tech’s School of Law was the only law school in Texas to be ranked in the top 20 this year by Prelaw magazine, and the University as a whole earned a top-tier ranking among national Universities in this year’s edition of America’s Best Colleges by U.S. News and World Report. Now, don’t get me wrong, the student body at Texas Tech is every bit as passionate, rowdy, and fun-loving as you would expect, but it all stems from a deep rooted pride in our University and its traditions and it should be considered just one of the many things that makes Texas Tech such a great school.

Everyone knows saying "all" in that way is always going to be wrong. But Texas Tech is a large state-funded university just like many other Division I schools out there, and while I know its not the best option in Texas, its certainly still a very good school to go to. And as far as the fan stereotype, it is mostly true. Its as true as a stereotype can be at least. Of course not all of the students are loud and obnoxious (I'm not, and I think some of the things we do towards other teams are just embarrassing, and I don't do those things), but an overwhelming bunch are. Yes, other school's fans yell and scream and even say offensive things, but some Tech students don't leave the stadium with respect toward the other school at the end of the day. This is one of my biggest disappointments in going to Tech. I've got to say, the hottie stereotype holds up. This one is also true.

Not at all. There are definately great parties but I've been to other schools with parties I liked, if you want to party they are there and they are fun. Lubbock county does have high STD percentages because of the high schools, but Tech actually has lower STD percentages than most schools in the Big 12. There is everything to do in Lubbock which I will explain below, if you can't find anything to do your just not sociable. I could have got into ANY university in the state. I chose Tech because I love the people and the campus, and I wanted to see something different from what I grew up around in Central Texas.

Tech has a big Greek system, meaning it's big on parties. However, for those people that aren't into the party scene there is a large number of other things to do. We have outdoor theaters, intermural sports, theatrical shows, and concerts just to name a few. Unfortunately, Tech does have a lot of tumbleweeds! But as for the horses thing...come on we're in the 21st century, us "Techsans" have upgraded to cars just like the rest of the world! Football is huge here. On game days it would be hard to find a student not decked out in red and black and tailgating at Raidergate.

For the most part, the stereotypes are not accurate in that many of us originated from big cities and not all people are ignorant. Infact, the Tech students are friendly and helpful. There are always those bad apples in the bunch, but they cannot compare to the good on this campus. As far as A&M and UT, I chose Tech because it offered something different, something unique. Tech offered spirit, loyal fans, friendliness and a family. The people make up Texas tech, and althought some have strayed against southern hospitality, it is still a great place to be.

Not at all.... Well, not the first two at least. Tech is actually a really great school academic-wise. There will always be those few idiots that rode in on their parents' money, but for the most part raiders are pretty smart. And the STD problem is merely a bad rumor probably started by one of our rival universities. Lubbock, itself (i.e. bored high school students), actually does have a bit of an STD problem, but not Texas Tech.

I would say our "country-ness" is probably pretty close to any other Texas school. We may, however, beat them in the roughneck, bad sportsmanship part. I have seen many a fight started by a boot wearing boy in a red and black, Tech t-shirt. But we definitely have beautiful girls and more money than people know what to do with...and yes that money is spread between hippies, frats, artists, and non-frat people.

Some. Greek life is HUGE here. Most people are cowboys... if not, like 99% of people love country music and thats the only bands that come here. OK, about this Raider Rash. It is not true. Lubbock County as a whole has the highest STD rate, but you have to realize, there are like 3 or 4 highschools plus 3 colleges. So, it is not just Texas Tech that contributes to the STD count.