Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

I can only compare Tech to the UT because thats the only other large university I've been to, but the best thing about Texas Tech is probably the laid-back attitude. For the most part, it seems that most of the students are pretty friendly with one another. Maybe its that West Texas attitude, I don't know. Also, I like the sort of rebellious attitude that the fans have at football games. I know I said that I'm embarrassed by some of the things that the fans do, and I am, but sometimes some other schools CAN be a little too wound up. I'm not saying I like some of the stupid things that fans come up with at football games, but sometimes you just have to loosen up a little. You've got to love our colors too. Black and red is just great. One thing I'd change is definitely the disrespectful fans at football games. Its a true stereotype and its always on my mind when I tell someone my age that I go to Tech. When I tell people I go to Tech, they are glad I chose a large university, but its not much of a surprise because its the only D1 school anywhere close to my hometown. I'm from Amarillo, which is only 2 hours away from Lubbock. As far as schools close to home, we could choose from Amarillo College (one of the best community colleges in the country), West Texas A&M (a D2 school, and unfortunately part of the A&M system) or Texas Tech. I spend most of my time in the Student Union Building. I like to go downstairs and sit in the two TV rooms that usually play ESPN all day. I can go in there, eat lunch, watch Sportscenter, and maybe chat it up with someone about sports. I just like the SUB because its a nicely designed building and you just feel a good college vibe just being there. I would say its a pretty good college town. Lubbock would certainly not be anything close to what it is without Tech, but Lubbock doesn't thrive on only Tech either. Its the hub city for most of the open land between Dallas, San Antonio, Denver, Oklahoma City, and Albuquerque. Amarillo is basically just like Lubbock except it doesn't have a large university, so I know what Lubbock would be like without Tech. It wouldn't have that college town feel and attitude, where you know you can go to Whataburger at 3 in the morning and you will see other students there too. The biggest controversy here recently was probably Bob Knight quitting the head coach position of the basketball team. Basketball is not nearly as big as football, so its strange to think that the winningest college basketball coach in history quitting would probably not get as much local controversy as if Mike Leach quit. I think there is a lot of pride. One thing that Texas Tech doesn't have as much as a lot of other schools is traditions. We were formed much later than a lot of schools in Texas, so some of our traditions don't date back near as far as others', but school pride is definitely present. You've got to agree when you hear the campus tour guides telling the students and their parents that Will Rogers and Soapsuds' butts face towards Texas A&M. Unusual things... this campus is so big. Its the second biggest campus in the nation. While that is nice because everything is so spread out and nice to look at, that is a long walk to and from some classes. I guess that means more time to spend checking out the ladies. I just transferred here in the fall of '07, but something I will always remember is when we beat Texas A&M in football after Javorsky Lane guaranteed a win for his Aggie team. As he and his team walked under the student section after the game was over into the locker rooms, the entire student section yelled, "Guar-an-tee! Guar-an-tee!" I've heard a lot of students complaining that they can't understand their teachers because of their accents. I don't know if it is as common at other schools as it is here to have foreign professors, but I've had to drop a class myself simply because I couldn't understand my professor.

The best thing about Texas Tech is its people and the students that create the atmosphere. Given the opportunity, I would change the way business is handled in regards to authority. I think the old way of running the campus are outdated and require a major change, but that is hard to see with the naked eye and does not directly affect the general students. I believe that Tech is just right in terms of size and if it were to be a little bigger, I would have no complaints. When I mention to people that I am a Red Raider, some take it as a negative thing, usually UT or A&M students, but others ask questions about my university. I realize now that as a university we are becoming more well known, but in the mean time other people are more inquistive about us. I spend most of my time at the recreation center or in my room on campus, simply because I work where I live. I am there for my residents and attempt to be as close in proximity as possible just in case I am needed. Texas Tech in Lubbock, Texas is definitely a college town and personally I do not see it as anything else. I cannot imagine living here without attending or working at the university. As far as the Administration of Texas Tech, i believe that some have done a great job and others need to clean up their act, take a chance and stand up for what they believe in rather than selling themselves short of what authority tells them. Of course, that may be a particular situation, but I think that new ideas within departments is not such a bad or evil concept. The biggest controversy on campus was Bobby Knight leaving his career to his son, but after the win against number 5 Texas, there has been no controversy. Also, there was the controversy over messing with the fight song and although that has not ben solved, the studnet body needs to understand that it is disrespectful to say f*** in something that belongs to all of us. It is not funny nor make u a better person, so please do not join in. Is there a lot of school pride? A lot is an understatement of the school pride at Tech. Football games are the most spirited with the most in attemdance, but over all there is school pride in everything we do. No, this is not a cult and I do not, have not ever felt so overwhelmed with pride that it took over my life, but I am proud to wear the logo and support the school that has furthered my education. So far, Tech is the only school that includes a sports package to every student. Meaning that you get into every HOME game for free! The alumni have threatened to take that privilege away if we refuse to sing the fight song correctly. Other schools make students buy individual tickets or only allow them to go to a certain number of games, while Tech students are able to attend them all. There are two experiences that I will never forget, one being my position as a Community Advisor, and the other being Gospel Choir. I enjoy working with residents and being that "go-to" person. Gospel choir has introduced me to amazing spiritual people that have motivated me to be a better person in faith. As far as complaints are concerned, some students have a problem with community bathrooms, but personally I think they are one of the best things simply because they are cleaned daily and it is nice to always have hot water. Students also complain about math and sciences classes because of professors that cannot speak english, but we do what we have to do.

When I tell someone I go to Tech the usual reaction is a comment about how flat Lubbock is or that the campus is in the middle of nowhere. Lubbock really is flat and there really isn’t a whole lot besides the campus around but that’s the fun of it. Everyone supports Tech and it is such a college town because most people you see are students themselves. The campus is really big but with all the architecture and sculptures around it makes it a pretty sight to look at. The best thing about Tech is the people and the school spirit. The people are so friendly and down to earth. There is a ton of that "Red Raider pride" amongst students and alums. Before every home game the Saddle Tramps wrap the Will Rodgers statue (right in front of campus) with red streamers and wrap student’s cars that are parked around campus. It gets us fired up for the games. Greek life is HUGE. I’m a Tri-Delta and can honestly say it was one of the best decisions I made by choosing to join a sorority. You interact with so many different groups of people and are always in the know about the events going on around campus. I know guys who say the same thing about joining a fraternity. The major issue I hear people complain about is the weather in Lubbock. One day it can be clear and sunny, next day there could be around 30 mile per hour winds, and the day after that there’s snow on the ground. It is very unpredictable. There are no drains in Lubbock so when it rains, it floods. Everyone planning on coming to Tech should invest in some rain boots. Also because Lubbock is so flat there are a lot of dust storms, sometimes it gets so bad that the skies look red. The grossest thing is the smell at times. There’s a slaughter house on the outskirts of campus somewhere and every month or so they have to do what they do with all the cows and the stench is literally unbearable for about two days. On a positive note, the summers are beautiful. Many students stay for summer sessions or just relax in Lubbock to stay near their friends. I’ve been here for three years and have stayed every summer for both sessions just taking a class or two and it is always a blast. I spend most of my time on campus in the SUB (Student Union Building) when I’m not in the Mass Communications building doing classes. The SUB has the cafeteria (which has a large array of restaurants and food to choose from, a Starbucks, a Barnes and Noble, electronic shops, and other small stores. There are also lounge areas to hang out if you have some extra time in between classes and don’t want to get off campus.

Texas Tech is really working on expanding and growing. We are currently at 28,000 students and our Chancellor has a goal of reaching 40,000 students by 2020. That means we are building newer and more high-tech facilities. We are bringing in some national and world renowned professors and bringing in better programs and development more opportunities for our students. Tech is growing and working to make a difference. The people at Tech are some of the nicest most down-to-Earth people you will ever find. As an Asian from southern California coming to Tech was one of the scariest and most exhilarating experiences. Without a doubt I stood out like a single long stem red rose in the dead of a New York winter. But I fit in and found some of my very best friends. These people, I know, will be in my life forever. Though lacking in ethnic diversity, the school compensates in many other ways. We have diverse extra-curricular activities from chess club to habitat for humanity or Greek life we have it all. Our recreational center has swimming pools, indoor track, weight rooms, we offer belly dancing, salsa dancing, cardioboxing, and even fencing. The school goal is to help develop a well rounded student strong in both academics and extra-curricular activities. Lubbock is without a doubt a college town. The county lives for Tech and they love the students more than the students could ever love the town. It's a perfect place to study and go to college. You can always find something to do, you just have to decide what. From movie theaters, the drive-in, clubs, and the mall we have just about everything to have a solid experience. The administration really works with the students and truly cares for their success. I have met the Chancellor, President, Provost, Vice President of Student Affairs, and so many others. This is not because I am very involved but because they care. When I was trying to set up meetings with various persons their secretary went out of their ways to work around my schedule. One secretary even rescheduled a meeting because she felt it was important for me, a student, to be able to meet with my Provost. They truly care and they will always work with you to help your experience be a great one.

Texas Tech University in my opinion is the greatest school I could have chosen to go to. It is an extremely welcoming and friendly university that does not shy away from helping its students succeed in whatever they want to do for the future. It is the perfect size for a school and is successfully continuing to grow and get better. When I tell people that I attend Texas Tech, many already have a good idea of how great an institution it is and the fact that it is only getting better. On campus I tend to spend most of my time in the huge Recreation Center that Texas Tech has for it's students as well as the awesome Student Union. What also makes Texas Tech such a great school to attend is it's location in Lubbock. Lubbock is a huge college town where Tech is the center of attention for everyone. Because Tech is such a huge deal in this city students and residents themselves have the largest amount of school pride I have ever seen. It is through some of my best memories which take place at the Texas Tech football games, where you can really get a sense of how much pride all of these people have in this school. It is always exciting during these games to see the sold out stadium roar as the team runs out on to the field led by the Masked Rider or whenever our team makes a great play. In all of my years watching the sport I have still not been to a louder stadium. I really have never had any real complaints about Texas Tech since I've arrived at the school. The one issue that all students tend to bring up is how slow and long a process it is to sign up for new classes for a new semester when the time comes. Overall I can not say enough how great Texas Tech is and what an awesome experience any potential student would have if they chose to come here.

I was born and raised in Lubbock, Texas and Texas Tech has always been an integral part of the community here. We are a “college town” in every sense of the phrase and as much as Texas Tech does to support local businesses and the local public school district, the Lubbock community does just as much to show their loyalty and love for the University. It’s hard to say whether the strong sense of community stems from the University itself or if it is inspired in the students by the Lubbock residents but one thing is for certain and that is that all of us, the students, the faculty, the staff, and the Lubbock community are all one big happy family. There exists an air of old-fashioned southern hospitality mixed with an artistic and unique modernity. People say “yes ma’am” and hold the door open for each other. There is also an authenticity to the people that seems to be slowly disappearing in other, more materialistic, parts of the world. The person sitting next to you in class may be wearing a baseball cap and a pair of converse sneakers or they may be wearing a cowboy hat and a pair of work boots with mud still caked on the soles, but none of that seems to matter to anyone. Every time I travel far from my home at Texas Tech I can always sense a difference and I often become homesick for the unassuming, friendly community and because of the nurturing atmosphere it was the ideal place for me to grow both academically and professionally.

Tech is an amazing school. I don't think there's a single one of my friends at Tech that, if possible, would go back to senior year in high school and change their choice of university. We have a beautiful campus, and it's continuously being added on to or upgraded. If I could change one thing, it would be the amount of school pride among Tech students. We always have good attendance at sporting events, but I wish it would be GREAT attendance. Speaking of, I love the size of our school. It's big enough to meet someone new everyday, but it's small enough to where your professors know your name (if you take the time to introduce yourself). It's also one of the biggest consecutive campuses, so you're able to walk to all our classes (hence the "consecutive" part) but large enough to get you a little exercise (hence the "big" part). It's also a ton of fun, because Lubbock is definitely a college town. The town is very happy to have Tech a part of it, and the town gets just as involved with football tailgating and school events as the students. Some people (that obviously don't go to Tech) complain that "Tech is in the middle of nowhere." But more than likely, those people go to SMU or TCU and their student population spends every weekend driving to "the middle of nowhere" to hang out with us. Our student body generally spends most weekends here, because for such a "small town in the middle of nowhere" we have a LOT going on.

I absolutely love it at Tech. I hated it when I went to orientation. But after I met a bunch of amazing people, I began to see myself here for the rest of my college career. Of course you'll going to meet those people that you just don't get along with. But that shouldn't ever discourage you from giving a great college like Texas Tech a chance. The campus is beautiful and full of student art around the campus. The spring is the best because there are red and yellow tulips all around campus and they are absolutely gorgeous. The best thing about the fall is football season. The school spirit and all the traditions are astonishing. In the summer there are endless pool parties. There is usually never a cloud in the sky. It's beautiful. The best thing about the winter is the beautiful snow. Most of the time if you go to a class while it's snowing outside, you'll get in-class points or extra credit. The city of Lubbock isn't all that great, but the people are very nice. Sometimes at night the whle city smells like cow poo, so don't think it was your friends. If you come from a big city you're probably used to hearing honking while driving. The people in Lubbock hardly know what a car horn is. But nevertheless, you'll always see a smile on their faces.

Overall, I believe that truly anyone could call this school "home." As a native of South Carolina, I though it would be difficult to adjust to Texas Tech, but the town and campus is so full of pride that you truly feel like a red raider as soon as you step foot on campus. So far, everyone I've met both on and off campus has been extremely welcoming and friendly...and I'm used to southern hospitality so I have been very pleased with Lubbock. As far as size goes, I feel that Texas Tech has a large student body, and I've found that it is much easier to make friends this way. At the same time, the relations you build with both the student body as well as faculty makes the school seem a lot smaller and less overwhelming. For instance, my classes are small, and my teachers are readily available and very helpful. I have not yet had one teacher that I did not like. Overall, even on the days that I do not feel like getting out of bed and going to school, I always feel much better as soon as I get to campus. Really, the gorgeous buildings and friendly people definitely make you proud to be a red raider. Honestly, out of all the schools I was accepted to, I have no doubt in my mind that Tech is the right choice.

Texas Tech is located in the city Lubbock the heart of West Texas. Lubbock is deffinately a college town with a large college community around the campu itself. Texas Tech has a great Student Union Building complete with mutpile resturants, a Barns N Noble store, and a movies theater located inside of it. The administration is incredicbly helpful to any student willing to ask for help. Texas Tech fans have a large amount of school pride. Every Saturday in the fall you can find every seat in Jones AT&T Stadium filled with Red Raider fans. From football to basketball to our very own Quidditch team, Red Raiders support our teams in every way possible. Some complaints of the school would be the size of the campus. Texas Tech is the second largest campus in the nation. There are multiple buses that cover the campus daily. Weather can also play a role in student life. The weather in west Texas is always changing. It can snow in the morning and be bright and sunny in the afternoon. The one experience I will always remember would be when Texas Tech beats one of it's major rival, the fans will rush the field when the game is over. Nothing beats standing on the fifty yeard line, seeing everyone cheering.