Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

kathleen.rolf@ttu.edu (512) 964-5626 If you, as an incoming college student, know which field you want to specialize in, look for a school that has a strong program in that field. But, if you are like most of us, and you have no idea what you want to do for the rest of your life, look for a school with a great balance of well-designed programs, plenty of extra-curricular activities, and a diverse student population. I believe that these things will help you the most in life, for many of life's lessons cannot be taught from a textbook, but are learned through human interaction and experience. Advisors of student organizations can be great mentors, and are always willing to answer questions. Colleagues will become best friends, and improving personal relations skills will help immensely in future careers. Involvement on campus will provide great stress relief for the tough times, and will serve as a support system, while also instilling a great sense of pride for one's school. Study abroad. Attend sporting events. Discover yourself. With a balance of academics, extra-curriculars, and diversity, college becomes the breeding ground for no less than success!

The decision to attend Texas Tech University has been easily one of the best chocies I've made. I'm a Biology major and after graduation, I will attend the Physician Assistant Program that Tech offers. As an undergraduate, Texas Tech professors have granted me the ability to be extremely hands on, as well as inspire me to learn outside of the classroom. For example, I took a summer class that allowed me to travel to the Llano River in Texas to study reptiles and amphibians. Instead of only listening to a lecture or reading a book, we accompanied our professor into the field to search for the animals themselves. Once found, we would return them to the classroom to study their behaviors, movements, etc. One lecture, we were studying the different moving patterns snakes use. Instead of watching different clilps, my professor took various snakes out of their temporary classroom homes , set them on the ground, and slightly aggitated them to allow for us to see their movements in person. It is events such as this that reminds me what a rewarding experience Tech has been and makes me increasingly excited to continue my education with this school.

If given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, knowing what I know now, I would first advise myself to always choose to persevere. In life we constantly face obstacles which can become discouraging. When such situations present, choose to persevere and overcome no matter how difficult the situation may seem. I would also advise myself to take advantage of every opportunity that presents itself, work diligently, and strive for consistency and excellence in all I do. Hard work will always pay off. Finally, I would strongly encourage myself to take advantage of every opportunity to serve others. Often times we fail to realize the impact our words and actions have on the lives of others. By constantly displaying empathy through service to others, we are given the opportunity to not only profit from our blessings, but allowing these talents and blessing to pass through us and onto someone else. This here is what life is all about. Yes, it’s nice to attain success and enjoy to fruits of our labor; but to whom much is given, much is required in return. Good things should never stop at you; always strive to pay it forward.

Advice is what gets people through life. Everyone thinks that their personal words of wisdom are the best and most logical but of course with experience comes knowledge. This is what i gained throughout this past semester. First I would like to inform myself that education comes first. No matter what event is currently happening your school work should be your primary focus. Fact number two includes always and forever attend and be early to class. I have witnessed incidents in which a student has shown up late and was embarrassed in front of a class of 300, and trust me you do not want that kind of attention. Number three would include always getting an early start on homework/projects. DO NOT wait until a couple of nights before the deadline to begin homework. Fact number four: this is NOT highschool anymore; you must study to succeed! Take excellent notes and review after each class period. Highlighting helps visual learners and rewriting notes is best for kinestetic learners. Organization is key; DO NOT rely on your memory to recall all the events and assignments you need to accomplish. Make and update an agenda constantly.

Finding the right college is very personal and depends largely on an individual's personal goals, disposition, and what they want out of a college. Take into consideration what you want to accomplish, whether that may be getting accepted into a good med school, being hired upon graduation by an exceptional design firm, or discovering what exactly it is that you want to do in life; yet don't lose sight of the importance of a college experience, and how a good experience will help you grow as an individual. Learning and degrees are important, but they aren't the only valuable life enhancing opputunities to be had at college. Jump into the community and get involved. Join an organization that supports something that means a lot to you. Make the friends that will last a lifetime. Decide the direction of your campus. Develop the social skills that will help you make friends and develop a network of career contacts. Take advantage of all of opputunities that your college offers you, not just the acadmeic ones; but don't forget about them in the midst of all the fun you're going to have. College is challenging, but also fun.

When you dream of winning the lottery, what do you see? You open college and wedding funds for your niece and nephew; help pay your siblings’ debt; help your parents retire; and invest in your future. You invest for your wedding and for your children. You invest in being able to provide for your children everything that you wish your parents could have planned for you. Getting an education is winning the lottery. You care about being there for the people you love and helping them. Right now, help yourself. Invest in your education. Everything you do is leading to something. Your senior year is there to prepare you for college. Take opportunities that come your way. Create relationships with your teachers. And always ask for help. Your parents, teachers and friends want to see you succeed. Let them help you get the resources you need to accomplish that. Do not hesitate to look at colleges and apply for FAFSA. The biggest thing you will regret is not being prepared. You can have everything you dream of as long as you put the work and preparation in to get it. Prepare yourself, ask for help, and go win the lottery.

After being in college for a semester, I know what it truly means to make the transition and adjust to the college life. If I were given the opportunity to talk to myself as a high school senior, I would discuss the importance of time management, responsibility, and long term goals. Since college is usually the first independent time in a young adult's life, learning to manage time wisely is key. With all of the different activities and distractions occuring on and off of college campuses, making sure you prioritize your time is very important in order to be successful. Independence in college means that you don't have your parents or guardians looking after you all the time and making sure that you are doing the right thing. This is when being responsible for yourself and your actions is necessary when making smart decisions. Also, college is the next step in preparing for a career, so it is important to consider your strengths and interests in order to figure out what path you want to take. Ofcourse, you don't have to know your career when you begin college, but it certainly helps to have ideas and goals!

Hey you! yeah you, your just about to venture off in a whole other world of responsibility and maturity. You know your traveling 800 miles away, your not necessarily going to be close to your family, so above everything else, spend some time with them and thank them for the sacrifices for getting you where you will soon be heading. So much of your time will be spent vigourously studying and constantly working on projects, especially since you'll be doing hands-on architectural projects. So from now on appreciate and value your family for what and who they are because they give you nothing but unconditional love. You know the value of a dollar but now its time to comprehend on what budgeting is, welcome to a real responsible beginning. One more piece of advice I will give you, the same drive and passion that you have for achieving your dream, let that be your silver lining and light for the stress thats about to come. You will find yourself an even stronger character and individual and you will have thanked your family for raising you to be the determined and humble person you will soon become. Fly High.

If given the chance to travel back and speak to my highschool self, I would have to say to not waste time doing things that will not help with my college career. My grades started out decent, but began to drop during my first few semesters of college, which almost kept me from being accepted into Radiology School. Once accepted, I began to devote more time and effort to my school work and my grades began to rise sufficiently, but never quite got back to where they were before I became complacent during the first semesters. Countless possibilities are out there to take hold of if one can keep his or her grades at the highest they can. If you do your absolute best and manage your study time correctly, the grades are going to begin reflecting those efforts. Even though you may not think of the future, what you do during the first years of college can greatly affect your future career opportunities. Awards, honors, societies, and high test scores are what lead businesses to wanting you to join their corporation. Devote your time and energy to school at first and you will be thankful at the end.

Although choosing a college is a major decision and a student certainly needs to listen to the advice of his or her parents, ultimately, the choice needs to belong to the student. I would certainly advise a student to look first at community colleges. They offer a great education at a lower cost than an university, and they provide the transition between home and college that many students need in order to mature. When choosing a four-year university, I would advise the student to visit several college campuses, spend the night on campus, attend any campus events, and if possible, sit in on some classes and actually talk with professors. These opportunities give the student real incites of campus life at each particular college. Of course, if the student needs financial help in attending college, he or she needs to complete the FAFSA as soon as possible and talk with someone in financial aid at each college. Choosing a college is a major decision, and a student and his or her parents must obtain as much information as they are able in order to make the best choice for that individual student.