Texas Tech University

« See more reviews of Texas Tech University

Texas Tech is located in Lubbock which is not a big city. Lubbock has a population of just over 200 thousand people. Thus, there is not much to do outside the learning environment. Buffalo springs lake is the main centre of attraction. It is a place where you can hike, bike and camp. But that is all there is in Lubbock, there is, no amusement parks, or art museums. In addition, since there is nothing much to do outside class, most students engage in binge drinking and sexual activities. Therefore, one can only fit in outside school if he drinks.

That the teachers say they are willing to help but usually don't. Their office hours don't accomodate everybody. Also most of the math teachers are foreign so it's VERY difficult to understand them and next to impossible to make a descent grade. Some teachers don't know what they're talking about half the time they get confused which then confuses the class. Another thing is the sorority/fraternity organizations they just frustrate me because they think they're better than everone and expect others who aren't in one to bow down to them.

The most frustrating thing about my school is the immense size of the University. I came from a small high school with less than one hundred graduating students to around 30,000 students. The immense size of classes is intimidating. It is frustrating to be intimidated by the professor and other students in the classroom. It is frustrating to not be able to have one-on-one talks with the professor and student over the material covered in the classroom. It is easy to fall in the cracks so to speak at a large university.

The most frustrating thing at Texas Tech that I have encountered are the teachers that are difficult to understand. By difficult to understand, I am referring to their thick accents and not-so-fluent English. Although these teachers are rare, we all have at least one or two of them in our time here. It is a little frustrating to undergo, but it makes us more tolerant to many different people, which will help us greatly in our careers. This is especially important now, with the United States being the "melting pot."

In general, housing costs and books is very expensive and it is hard on us students, but I would say the most frustrating thing about my college is the high costs of dining because it is an everyday experience for me. You no longer have home cooked meals from mother. It is certainly a transition from low priced, high school meals. Saving a a quater here or there is what you have to do in order to really save up in the college world because it eventually adds up even though it doesn't seem like much.

Probably the most frustrating thing about Texas Tech University is the cost of tuition. It is one of the priciest schools in Texas, and it is hard as a middle class student to afford schooling without having to take out student loans and extra money to pay for it. I think that the quality of teaching and the amount I am learning here is worth every penny, but there could always be more help with financial aid and scholarships to help pay for the cost.

There's a definite pressure to conform from the city to their standards without regard to your own background or cares. However, there are groups on campus focused on cultural diversity, religious diversity, etc. When you go off campus to live - an option after your first year, though many people stay on for convenience - it's best if you have a firm sense of yourself before venturing to live on your own in some parts of the town.

The most frustrationg thing about Texas Tech University is the distance between buildings. As an undergrad you take class all over campus, having a campus of nearly 60,000 students we need more space, classrooms, as well as teachers which leads to having your classes all over campus. Luckly we have a bus system, fee is included in tuition, that can drive you around and it makes it easier to get to all your classes.

I was a non-traditional student and Texas Tech University doesn't work very well with students if they are non-traditional (i.e.-working full-time to support a family while going to school). Evening classes are not readily available, especially when looking for upper-level classes. I eventually had to quit my job and live off student loans to support my family while I completed my degree.

Honestly, for this being my first year in college, I find nothing frustrating about it. Everything is well at Texas Tech University. The teachers are very knowledgable and love what they do. The work given is strictly made to prepare us for the career we are studying for. Texas Tech University was actually the last college on my list, but I am so glad I decided to attend.