Fort Worth, TX
Texas Wesleyan University

You may be eligible! These Lenders offer loans to students who attend Texas Wesleyan University

Michele

Smaller Smarter. That is Texas Wesleyan’s slogan and I have to say it is right. When walking around this beautiful campus it is not uncommon for professors to stop me to ask how I am progressing with my classes. They know my name and some I do not have for classes, but meet at campus events. Most of my classes have 8-15 students which allows for more open critical discussion in class and individual attention from professors. I plan on go to graduate school from here. Who better to write a recommendation than someone who really knows me?

First of all college is not high school. You learn quickly that you have a ton of freedom, however there is a price. You are not going to have teachers who remind you that assignments are due, that reading the book is required to pass a test or if you miss a test you earned a zero. It is all on you now. Scheduling everything will be your biggest challenge. Join student government and other organizations because they will pay off like nothing else. Find the gym and make time in your schedule to exercise several times per week. Use the iPhone applications and textbook websites. They have saved me several times. Rent, trade or borrow books. Visit career services to help you revamp your resume. Even if you’re not looking for a job, some scholarship applications and graduate programs require one. Get to know your professors. Someday their advice will kick in and you will need to thank them. Professors might just provide a stunning recommendation letter if they know you. Now, go see that high school counselor that keeps bugging you to drop by her office for scholarship applications. You can never have enough money for college.

I love my school and I love the fact that professors know you so well here. However, that comes with a pitfall too. They know you so well; they know what you are capable of. This is not a school to slide easily through. I wish there was a football team, but we do have soccer, volleyball, basketball and tennis. I also know that the area surrounding the school is not that great, but development is in progress and I hope to see new shops and restaurants around near the campus soon.

christina

i believe that my school is unique because it is such a small college. It is really easy to meet new people and make friends, but also in the same career field as you. Also the teachers are awsome and are always around if you need help. I i believe what sets us apart from other schools the most is that my school has a close bond with its students, faculty and everyone is kind and willing to help in anyting you need help in.

i would read my books for classes and study notes every day. i used to hate to read my book, but the majority of what the professors test you over is in the books not the notes. i have to read alot of chapters for different subjects. I would also not skip a day of reading or studying, because you never know when you going to have a quiz. I believe being one step a head will definetly improve your grades and lower your stress level.

a person should not attend this school if they are not serious about getting a hire education, if they are not willing to put in the time to study for classes, a person should not attend this school if they want to party, and a person should not attend this school if they have school on the bottom of their list of priorities.

Melissa

You can't walk this campus without running into a smiling face or friend.

You can't walk this campus without running into a smiling face or friend.

If I could travel through time and speak to the 17-year-old high school senior, I would let her know life gets better. I would let the 17-year-old Melissa know life will not always be made up of people tormenting her for her faults and differences. I would let her know that once she reaches college she will know what it is like to have friends and be accepted; she just needs to hang in there. Life will improve. I would also warn her about her mother’s death when Melissa is 24 and I would also warn her about her homelessness when Melissa is 25 to 28 years old. I will let Melissa know those may seem like the hardest times in her life; it may seem like she will never be able to overcome either of those situations but if she can remain strong, she will have a better life.

Wesleyan is a private university so the expense is pretty steep compared to other schools in the area.

Adriana

I would have said to stay at a community college for the first two years to figure out what you wanted to do and not jump into the deep end by going to a big school with a lot of people. I would try and convince myself to go where the money was instead of attending my "dream school" that turned out to be a complete flop. I would tell myself that family is important and that I should embrace it because you never know how much time you have left with them. I would tell myself that prestige doesn't mean quality and that private doesn't mean bad. I would let myself know that failure is relative and that just because you are smart doesn't always garuntee success. I would encourage myself to apply for scholarships and establish good connections with powerful and successful people. But most importantly I would tell myself to follow my heart because thinking about everything becomes overwhelming and what really matters is that you are happy where you are no matter the circumstances or the place that you are in. If you are not happy, then find what does make you happy.

A person that likes small classes and interaction with their professors. A person that is accepting of cultural diversity and open to all different types of ideas and perspectives about life.

Amber

I would stress the importance of a degree that would be helpful. At the time I just picked Theater Arts and had fun. I did not realize what options were available and what degree would ave helped me in teh future.

The financial info at first was not as clear. I had to ask a lot of questions how to get started on loans and what to do.

The neighborhood surrounding the school is pretty rough. It can be scary driving to the school ut once on campus it is safe.

Chantel

“What have I gotten out of my college experience?” Confidence. That’s immediately what pops into my mind. Sure, I’ve gained enough knowledge, practical skills, and officer positions in extra-curriculars to make for one heck of a CV—not to mention friends and mentors I will treasure for a lifetime—but it is combined that these have had the most affect on my life, contributing to a stronger belief in myself that I was lacking in high school. Before college, I never felt like I was much of anything special. Maybe this is because I was home schooled and never had many chances to compare myself to other students to evaluate my progress, or maybe it is because being the youngest sibling to four amazing sisters I spent too much time comparing myself. Or maybe just being a teenage girl is enough of a reason, in and of its self. Whatever the cause, I know that the solution was all the opportunities my school provided for me to prove myself. The value of my attending college hasn’t been of the monetary kind (yet—hopefully, yet), but something I can continually bank on throughout my life: self worth.

Kirsti

I have learned that people really don't care about the same things they did in high shcool. This person is dating that person does n't matter in college. I think that the drama free environment is amazing for those who are really focused on their studies and are wanting to finish their education in a timely manner. I learned that you really need to study to get the grades and respect from the teachers that you are looking for.

The area that it is located in is a really bad part of fort worth, which was a really big turn off when looking at the campus and could really effect those choosing schools.

You should not attend this school if you dont plan to take college seriously. We study alot and are expected to make good grades. If you are not outoging and ready to bring new campus organizations and activities then don't attend.

Jeanne

The classes are small, your instructor knows who you are and you stay with the same people throughout your program.

The lessons I learned in college go beyond the subjects, I learned patience from my Organic Chem professor who allowed me to sit in his office day after day until I understood stoichiometry. I learned competition with a fellow student for grades was not only good for he and I, but also for the rest of the class bringing them up in performance. I learned time management and to never take the small things for granted, celebrate victories no matter how small and always make time for the people you care about.

Professors who have open door policy so when you are having problems you can go in and get tutoring.

Kristal

My school was the first school to have a black basketball player in texas. It is also known negitively know for the area it is located in. It was crime ridon and poor. The city of Fort Worth is revamping it to bring back people.

I have gotten great examples of how I should be a teacher. They have been ggod and bad. I have leaned to listen to all my students and to make sure that I react to their needs. I have also learned that I must keep in touch with my future students when they leave my classroom. The teachers at texas Wesleyan pratice what they preach and make sure that the teachers they put out into the world are fit to do their jobs.

I like how little my school is. I feel like I am remembered by my teachers each semester that I see them in the halls.

Texas Wesleyan University administrators: claim your school to add photos and details.