The Community College of Baltimore County

« See more reviews of The Community College of Baltimore County

I wish that I could turn back the hands of time, and be a mentor to myself in high school. The knowledge and wisdom that I have now, that I am in college; could really help her out. I believe she would really thank me for looking out for her best interest. First, I would tell myself to keep herself highly motivated. Motivation is a key part in your academic success! Successful students are goal-oriented, and believe they are responsible for their own rise or fall. If you aren't enthusiastic about your own academic career, then you could possibly let yourself down. Always wake up ready to attack the day! Being on time is also important. It shows that you are serious about your life, and your future as well. Visualize your success as you're preparing for your quizzes and exams. Always put forth your very best, and apply yourself while you're studying. It is hard right now, but really worth it. Once you walk across the stage to recieve your diploma, you'll understand why it was a struggle. Your transcript will show your college professors that you're ready to take on the world.

If given the chance to go back and talk to the younger me, I would tell her to focus on school and stay with her parents as long as possible. I was fortunate in that my parents had managed to save enough to cover my entire first semester of college. Unfortunately, the act was wasted, as I had chosen to focus on starting a second job, trying to become more self-sufficient, instead of the education they’d worked to provide for me. This decision, understandably, started a series of arguments between us that resulted in me choosing to live on my own, still working both jobs, rather than staying at home and making school a priority. Now I have to force school between the schedules of a full time and part time job, and I'm unable to enjoy the same college life as my friends. I battle between registering for classes and paying rent, and as recently as this past semester, I have had to drop classes just to pay other bills. This choice has had, by far, the largest impact on my education, and I would do anything to keep the younger me from making it again.

If I ever had the opportunity to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, there would be several things I would say. For example, now that I have actually had the opportunity to experience what the college life is all about, I know some things that I did before would definetely have to change. I would tell myself to not follow my friends and to continue to strive for my best although it was my last year. Although senior year should be fun and exciting, it should not be a time to just give up and stop striving for your best. I personally thought the transition from high school to college what be as easy as it was when entering the ninth grade. I was wrong beacause my first couple of weeks were difficult. I thought I could be successful by using the same habits as I did in high school. For example, like staying up after 1 in the morning and not studying for exams. Those habits were no longer useful, so I had to immediately change my mindset and begin adopting new strategies if I wanted my college education to be successful.

If Icould go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior, I'd advise myself to be strong, patient, and wise. College work is not difficult, however, being your own motivator is because you have to manage your time to read numerous of chapters every week, no one reminds you regularly when assignments are due, and although teachers are there to help you, you have to be strong enough to push yourself. Also, college is not cheap and with your major, books will likely be at least a hundred plus each so work over the summer and save up; summer is no longer a three month vacation. Once you've settled on campus, get involved in clubs and organizations so that you will feel a sense of self worth as well as gain friendships. You may have neglected social activities and only focused on academics in high school but in college, trust me you will appreciate the comradery of others for they will be your support system and allow you to feel relaxed. I want you to enjoy and take advantage of your college experience, don't stress, you can do it.

I was not a traditional high school senior in many ways and because of this I missed out on the many joys that a high schol senior experiences and learns to prepare them for their future. I entered my first year of high school a teen parent to a one year old, and because of this I made alot of decisions that weren't very carefully thought through concerning my education and my future beyond high school. So from my experiences I would have to tell myself to make a life plan and stick to it, then set both current and future goals and follow through with them. When life gets a bit confusing and demanding just step back and re-evaluate the way you are handling things. NEVER GIVE UP! Instead keep positive thoughts and rearrange your list of priorities in a manner that works for you. And last but not least I would definitley have to tell myself to don't be afraid to ask for help. Until you ask for help, you will never know who in your network of family, friends, neighbors, school and community can be of assistance to you and in what manner.

My parents were pretty smart in telling me to enjoy my senior year. They allowed me to do a research and development course which really helped me know what I wanted to do in my future and allowed me the time to be with friends and enjoy my last year of school and being a kid. This year the real world has hit me in the face. I have been working hard in my classes for eight weeks and then out into my internship and working everyday from six to six for eight weeks. Those are long days sometimes but now I know why people look tired at the end of a work day. The automotive technology program I have chosen fits me and I do enjoy working at JBA Chevrolet. I have seen how to put what I learn in the classroom into use in the real world. I have experienced how to deal with peers and other shop people as well as customer service. The best advice I could give myself would be to chose an occupation where you will enjoy your job, have challenges and goals and be happy for the many years you have to work.

I would give myself a lot of advice but the three most important advice I would give myself would be: "Never compare yourself to anyone else". I had always compared my success and or failure to how everyone else was doing in the classroom and did not realize how destructive it was until recently. I never did my best because I was one of the few people in high school who was getting the highest scores in class. Even though I knew I could do better, I never tried as hard as I should have. Another advice I refused to listen to was one which my mum gave me about four years ago. Now I am in turn going to give my high school self this advice; "Whatever your hands find to do, do it well". This advice is almost the same as the third which is "Work as if everything depends on you, and pray as if everything depends on God". Thats the greatest advice I could ever give anyone who is going through life because the harder one works for success, the more likely the person is going to attain success.

If I now and I then stood face to face, only one single thought would come to mind. It would chime in like an old hymn for the Baptist song book. Rattle my nerves a bit and my right foot would begin to tap ever so gently on the floor. Of course my younger self would do the same but not for the same reasons. She of course, is bored. I would look upon her with a my distraught face, my lips pulling to one side of my face, my eyes would widen just a little and I would say what I was thinking, ?Mother to Son.? Her eyes would meet mine, she?s intrigue, and then she catches herself. I would smile and say ?Langston.? She nods. I continue with, ?Don?t let anything stop you. Stay focus, because life by itself is hard. School can be fun and interesting. Just don?t allow outside drama to consume your whole entire world. Don?t turn back, reach those landings and keep climbing. I can?t promise that the transition is easy. But, I can promise you that if you stick with it your life will be enrich.?

Assuming I could go back in time and tell my past self as a high school senior. What I know now about college life and making that kind of transition. I would tell myself to first go to a coomunity college and get all of the general education classes out of the way. It's way cheaper and also it's accredited which is an important word when dealing with any college. Another thing I would say is concentrate on the on the journey ahead of you. Because that will help you out more in the long run. I would tell myself also to be brave and bold in spirit. To use a quote by Albert Einstein " If an idea at first does not seem absurd, then there is no hope for it." And with that in mind the next thing I would tell myself is to not be afraid to fail. In fact it is only considered a failure if you stop trying to succeed at what you started. The more wrong answers you run into the more chances you'll have for that one yes. Which is all you really need in the first place.

When I first started college, I was afraid of failing and I decided to major in Fashion designing because I was good at art and horrible at science and math. I would love a chance to go back in time and talk to myself as a high school senior. I would do it all differently if I could go back in time and talk to myself in high school. I would tell myself to not be afraid to pursue my dream of becoming a nurse, and tell myself that it is ok if I am horrible at certain subjects. What matters is what I do to become good at what I am horrible at. I would tell myself that procrastination is merely the fear of failure or uncertainty. Instead of procrastinating, I need to just get it done. If I do it wrong ahead of time, I can go back and make it right! I would tell myself that a positive attitude will help me to succeed at whatever I do. I would tell myself that I do have it in me to succeed and to reach whatever goal I want in life. I would say to never doubt myself!