The New School Top Questions

How often should I phone home? Is once a day too much?

This is actually something that I still struggle with. I think once a day is perfect because you check in, and let them know you're okay. Some people say every other day or every couple of days, but I disagree with that. I think it is important to keep in touch with your parents and make sure they know what's going on with you.

I've always been very independent, but I still phone home once every couple weeks, sometimes more, and I text or email my parents all the time, just to keep up a connection, and keep them updated on my life. If you're enjoying yourself at school, and you're enjoying your time with friends, then you really don't need to worry about phoning home too much. Its different for everyone, its just about finding what feels right for you.

lesley

I am originally from NYC and live on campus, and i phone home once a day or every other day, or few days. There's not really any specific amount that is considered good or bad, it all just depends on what your needs are, how you are feeling and managing school, and other obligations. Once a day isnt too much, but it is a good idea to sort of adapt to your new environment, and experience the transition for itself because it is something new. However staying in contact with family and friends is extremely beneficial and should just be balanced into your schedule.