The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

Are we football fanatics? Yes! I'll get to that later. Greek life and partying? Yes and No. I am Greek and I do like to party, but that is not all that I do. I have a lot of friends who are Greek and don't like to party, others who are non-Greeks who do like to party, and vice-versa. It all depends on the person. Many of my non-Greek friends are very active on campus and do not need to be affiliated with any Greek organization to do so. The campus is very diverse, so everyone can find their niche in an organization that fits them. You can have friends that are both Greek and non-Greek; you are not limited to one type of people to hang out with. It is all in what you choose to do with you time.

1) Not everyone has tons of money, but many do. 2) We have a very active social scene, whether it be at the bars, athletics or just our University Programs. So no, we don't party too much. 3) A very diverse group of students attend UA international and domestic and we have many cultural awarness groups and a niche for everyone. 4) We have Nick Saban and he will regain UA's place in national athletics soon. We do however LOVE the bear! 5) We have more USA Today All-Scholastic Honors than any other schools including Harvard. We have a very wide demographic of majors and amazing things coming from UA each day.

To some extent these accusations are true. A lot of people you meet from the state of Alabama are great people, but there are a large number that only associate with people alike themselves. This is true wherever you go, not just in the state of Alabama. People have conservative ideals and are resilient to change and liberal views. The University of Alabama prides itself on pride and tradition so the students play into it as well. Being an out of state student myself it has been very hard to meet people due to these conservative ideals.

The stereotypes have a LOT of truth in them. During the fall, its pretty much impossible to escape football and it's fans. Most of the students are from the south, but there are also a significant amount of people from Texas, and even a bunch of international students from Japan, Korea, and the Middle East.

Most stereotypes are the reflection of a small percentage of a group of people. The students at the University of Alabama are as intelligent and have the same abilities as students at any other college or university. The fact that many students have southern accents is not a reflection of their abilities.

In the fall semester, yea, everything revolves around football. You find teachers to be a little more lenient when it comes to assignments due right after a big football game. As for the partying, not everyone parties, and most of the partying you see is done by the Greek organizations.

Of course Bama has tons of students in the Greek system. You don't have to be in the Greek system. I'm not and I still have fun and make good grades. Not everyone drinks and parties all the time. I don't and all my friends are the same.

Greeks have a presence but you can still have fun on and off campus without being part of the Greek system! Alcohol has a huge influence on the campus but you can still do lots of things without consuming it.

Some of the stereotypes are accurate, although, UA is a much better academic school than people give it credit. UA is also more open minded than I expected when I transfered to the University.

We do party alot but we take classes seriously as well. We do love football, but not too much. There are no Friday classes once you hit upperclassmen classes. Greeks are jerks