The University of Alabama

« See more reviews of The University of Alabama

What is the stereotype of students at your school? Is this stereotype accurate?

A few of the stereotypes that I have heard about Alabama students include: 'It is a big party school! They go out every night!' or 'The school is run by the Greek system and unless you join a fraternity or sorority there is no way to get involved.' Neither of these statements is completely true. Yes, there are students at this University who enjoy going out to 'have a good time,' but that does not sum up every student on campus. There are nearly 33,000 students on campus. Not all 33,000 drink and party! There are plenty of clubs, intramural teams, leadership positions, and places to hangout that do not involve drinking and partying. Theses numerous ways to get involve also show that you do not have to join a fraternity or sorority to become involved. Less than one third of the students on campus are Greek. Therefore, most of the student body is NOT Greek. If you do not want to join a fraternity or sorority there are over 20,000 students in your same position that are looking to meet people and find other ways to get involved.

It is very hard to narrow down a stereotype of students at the University of Alabama. The campus has a wide variety of groups of students. Some may say that the University has a stereotype of being Greek. This is probably due to the fact that almost 1/3 of the campus is involved in Greek life. The Greek life offers a great way to get involved on campus. However, it is not the only group of people to get involved in. There are also many service groups who are interested in helping varying organizations. These groups constantly have meetings or hold informational seminars to recruit more members. Also, there are many students on campus who could be considered "jocks." The University of Alabama has a phenomenal athletic program and many people are involved in it. Although it could be said that there are many different "stereotypes" at the University of Alabama, it is not hard to find your place on campus.

If you are not greek it is kind of hard to have a lot of friends and social life because the majority of the students here are all greek for the most part, I encourage people to go greek! Its so much fun and it keeps you busy with so many fun events and activities. A lot of the girls who are in a sorority dress very casual to class with no makeup, big t shirts and leggings with boots in winter and fall and t shirts and nike shorts in summer. I am from Maryland and I don't wear over sized t shirts and nike shorts but for some reason its so popular at Alabama. For girls who are not Greek they dress up for class and wear makeup. For the frat boys they always dress "fratty" with their polo button downs, sperrys, tucked in shirts, very gentlemen like. And alot of people in greek wear polo caps to class or their sorority letters on it.

I think there are a lot of stereotypes about my fellow peers about the University of Alabama. I think the number one is that we are a HUGE party school mostly because of our school being built on the tradition of football and Greek life. While these things are true, I think those things are balanced well with the academic achievements made by my peers on a large scale. As a member of the Greek system and a active football supporter, I see both sides of these stereotypes and try my best to urge my peers to act smart and be safe. Students at this University love football and love to have a great time, I think we do indulge in both in the best way possible.

I guess the biggest stereotype we have at UA is the "southern frat guy". As in many colleges, the UA's greek system is really big and powerful, but differs from all the other greek systems is that we are in the South. This stereotype portrays average students who, along to studying and pursuing their degree, enjoy spending time with their fraternity brothers watching football games, partying, organizing events and mostly drinking cheap beer. Off course not all the fraternity guys are as described by this stereotype, but I have to say that at UA we have many of them.

I am Greek, and I love it. It was the right decision for me and it has made all the difference in my college experience. Going Greek isnt right for everyone, some people enjoy making friends on their own. Some dont have the time to devote to an active Greek life. Being Greek doesnt make you king of the school, it makes you a person with such a strong bond to your sisters and your campus that you cant help but want to be involved on campus. Some people find that bond without Greek life but I cant imagine my life any different without my sisters.

Since The University of Alabama is in the South, I assume many people from other regions think of us as hicks and rednecks but this stereotype is very inaccurate. In fact, I would describe the majority of students here at UA as well-spoken, prepy, affluent individuals who are very involved in clubs and greek life. The student body could also be described as "Old South" who come from country-club families, which is largely accurate.

I feel there are many stereotypes at this university, as well as others. You will always have your fraternatiy and sorority groups that most likely hang around together. Also, there are the older people who have decided to come back to school that stick out from the rest of the crowd. You will also know the atheletes on campus because of their clothing and Bama backpacks. Besides those groups, everybody else just blends in.

The major stereotype at the University of Alabama is football loving, beer drinking frat boys. There is definitely a degree of truth to that just as there would be at any university, but I wouldn't say that it is 100% accurate. I'd say that stereotype is only fulfilled by about 10-15% of the population here. There is a plethora of other organizations, activities, cultures, and subcultures to get involved with here.

Most people believe that Alabama is a predominantly Greek school. This is somewhat accurate. Here at the University, there are 56 fraternities and sororities on campus. Alabama is ranked #3 in the top 10 schools with the biggest Greek life with more than 5,000 members. Though this may seem like a lot, only 27% of the University students are Greek.