The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

« See more reviews of The University of Tennessee-Knoxville

What is the stereotype of students at your school?

That they are all hicks, which is not true at all no one has on overalls and no teeth and all come from farms. It's not country music and nothing else, all kinds of music are good here. No one is going to hate you because you are from the north, they kinda think its cool that you are different from them.

Although there is no single stereotype that applies to UTK students, they are often described as heavy partiers. However, this is a stereotype applied to most college students, not just students at UTK. UTK is typically seen as extremely sports-minded and less focused on academics.

Some stereotypes about UTK would be that it is a party school, a football school, and not as academically challenging as other universities. Some stereotypes of UTK students is that those students involved in the greek life just party all the time and that they "buy" their friends.

Stereotypes of the student body as a whole are that we are all southerners who are somewhat close-minded. Also we are known to obsess over our sports teams- especially football and basketball and many people believe that our sports are more important than academics.

That sorority and fraternity students live inside a "bubble" and do not know what the real world is like. That they are considered "rich," "stuck up" and think they are "better" than the average student at UT. UT is a big party school. We are just into sports.

I've heard that we are just a HUGE party school and all we care about is football and basketball. Supposedly, our students only care about partying and getting drunk all the time. Oh, and we think we're better than other schools in Tennessee and the SEC.

I think some stereotypes about UT is when it comes to football season. Tennessee fans come across very rude and often times redneck. I think also that our student body dresses more casual during football season than other SEC schools.

Extremely liberal for SEC southern schools. Very traditional sports program, very heavy drinking, very big party scene. Underrated educational system because it is overlooked and replaced by party scene and sports.

UT is often not categorized in a league with other top state schools such as UVA, UGA, USC, and UNC. It's students are, in effect, typically stereotyped as not being as smart as students in those other universities.

The stereotypes other people have about us: hillbillies stupid poor Stereotypes we have about our peers: spoiled brats everyone lives in a bubble were all Greek everyones parents pay for everything