The University of Texas at San Antonio

« See more reviews of The University of Texas at San Antonio

I haven't had any real experiences with certain groups on campus. I do know that there are people of every race, gender, and age here and everyone seems to fit in just fine. It is really great. Students here wear anything, from jeans and tshirts, to slacks and button up shirts, to pajama pants and a sweater. It is a very relax atmosphere, which I think is good because if the students are comfortable, they are more likely to continue school and learn better. All students here interact with each other with no problems that I have seen. When I do go to the JPL for lunch, there is such a mixture of students at each table. Again, different genders, different races, different majors, everything!! I really have no clue where most students here at UTSA come from or about financial backgrounds or about political preferences. Here in the engineering department we do talk about salaries of newly graduated engineers. And it is not so much just to talk about the money, it is more of a way to let us know how much our knowledge and hard work had paid off. When it comes time to getting a job, we need to know where to start discussing offers with employers.

The UTSA student body is diverse and outspoken, even as colleges go. There are strong cultural, degree-based, theistic / atheistic, political, and other groups of all kinds. Minorities in general, and the Latino poulation in specific, are very active and well-placed within the student community. Grossly generalizing, the student body seems to be left-leaning and religious apathetic, but there are also active conservative, moderate, Christian, athiest, and Muslim contingents on campus. Most of the student population comes from locations within Texas, but national and international students are not at all uncommon.

Prior to attending UTSA, I only went to two small private schools. When I came over, I decided that I wanted to see how the large class settings are. To my surprise, I loved the large classes much more than the couple I had that were small and decided to stick to large classes as much I possibly can. That being said, most of my professors did not know my name. In the few small classes that I took, the professors did know my name. Even though I am mostly in large classes, class participation is VERY common! Questions and class discussions are very common in UTSA lecture halls!

I don't think anyone would feel out of place at this school. There's something for everyone. Athletics, sororities, fraternities, religious organizations, community service oriented organizations, pretty much organizations for every major! Most students go to class wearing very casual clothes. Tennis shoes, sperries, jeans, athletic shorts, t-shirts....although there are the people who dress up every day. Most of the students are from San Antonio, Austin, Houston, Dallas, and other small towns in Texas.

My classmates are diverse. They are people with many different backgrounds that come together and strive for a common goal. That goal is to succeed in life. They are hear to learn and to enjoy their four years of growth before they go on to become what they want to be. Sometimes you do not notice how different every one is because we coexist so well together and when you do notice you just gain more respect for people from different cultures. These students are people striving to be who they want to be.

So far of many colors are my classmates here A rich mixed body of students from every tier Yet in the multitudes there is a floating fear That some wont pass or some may get near To the American Dream that makes men cheer But suddenly real life will bite them in the rear; But there's a gym, a pool, and lots of other gear There's drinking and partying, sex and beer Its all very nice and normal, but there's one thing clear Many that are here won't be around next year.

The classmates that I have the priveledge of interacting with at my university, are a mix of all races, orientations & personalities. The wide range of culture within my classroom allows me to view issues and topics from a perspective that I would never have thought of viewing it in. Not only that, but interacting with these classmates has taught me a great deal about my own, personal identity, and what makes me as unique as all of the people surrounding me.

My college classmates are less motivated than those in high school, since most of them are usually checking their facebooks or emails. Seeing that I went to a small high school, competition was high. I was always motivated to do better than my fellow classmates. However, in college, most of my classmates seem less motivated, which I honestly believe is wrong.

Not all the times do the classmates talk but for the most part on Web ct they try to get study sessions together to help each other out. A lot of people at school just stick to the people they know rather than metting someone new.

My classmates are very friendly. I just transferred for the Fall 2008 semester, but after the first week, I already had someone to walk with to each class, and someone I could call if I had questions about homework or classwork.